Rosaline: Romeo and Juliet through the perspective of Romeo’s Ex

Super Moderator
Rosaline is a character we barely know in William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. We know that she is the first Capulet that Romeo fell in love with. A few days after breaking up, he met Juliet in an attempt to win her back and fell in love with her instead. Even though there have been countless film adaptations of Romeo and Juliet, we still have no idea what the individuals in their immediate environment are going through.
In this film, we get to experience the story from the point of view of Romeo’s ex-girlfriend and Juliet’s cousin. Rosaline is the proverbial “red brick road” that we never get to witness during the tragic events of the Shakespeare play.
We all know how Romeo and Juliet will die, making the play a tragedy; in contrast, Rosaline promises to be a hilarious farce. After Romeo’s ex-girlfriend tries to win him back, she becomes his greatest supporter of the star-crossed lovers.
Rosaline Official Trailer

For...

Continue reading...

This is one of the most creative ideas on how to make use of Public domain character. I wish I thought of this first.

Truly, I am in awe of this. I appreciate it when they avoid making Shakespearean dialogue and archaic accents sound dated and antiquated in period pieces. This seems like a fantastic time. Extremely entertaining. Everybody in the cast seemed to be having a great time. If either Isabela Merced or Kaitlyn Dever are in a film, I'm already interested in it; if they're in a film together, I'm even more interested in it. They should have released this in theaters. The movies of 20th Century should not be dumped on Hulu.

The trailer made me laugh out loud. If the story continues in the same vein, it will be really uncomfortable and depressing. I'm definitely down with Kaitlyn and Isabela as well because they're both awesome as always.

Hello Friends!
I've never been a fan of Romeo and Juliet since it glorifies sexual acts between teenagers and the idea that suicide is the only option. Back then, I argued with my teacher and convinced her that the topic should be removed from literature curriculum.

Kay

It was Rosaline , who I believe dumps Romeo, based on my high school study of Romeo and Juliet. The movie's version of Romeo and Juliet has her completely smitten. Romeo never actually dated Rosaline; he simply imagined that he did before meeting Juliet.

Entertainment Enthusiast
I'm not sold on the idea of "trying to win him back." A more believable motivation for Rosaline's involvement and mischief-making would have been her desire for revenge on Romeo for breaking her heart, rather than her desire to continue dating him. That said, I think it's still really cool-looking and might end up checking it out.

I doubt you could make a comedy with the same ending. Unless, of course, Romeo and Juliet are so unbearably unpleasant that their deaths would be comical. Nonetheless, I wouldn't call this film in that genre. Is the suicide of Romeo and Juliet going to be removed?

Ariel's Bestfriend
As far as Disney is concerned, the only FOX film that they released to theaters is James Cameron's Avatar. Is Disney just being vindictive since Fox screwed up the X-Men? Now Marvel wants their own piece of the action, and It felt like Fox has been banned from releasing movies in theaters. They will now be in a Hulu hell hole.

Hey I just met you!
Although I am familiar with the original story, I decided to give this one a try because of the differences. Roseline turned down Romeo, but that's common knowledge.I appreciate that this is a spin on Romeo and Juliet, but in the original story, Rosaline didn't love Romeo back since she wanted to be a nun, so Romeo's feelings for her were unrequited.