R

raden238

So it's Kamen Rider Double as if the show was Joker and Cyclone right from the beginning? Interesting. The making "a deal with the devil" concept isn't bad either. Seems kinda serious with the premise being summoning inner demons from innocent people to cause havoc in the world, reminds me of Wizard with the despair idea. Revice's design is fine but I'm not feeling Vice. It's suppose to be dinosaurs but Vice looks like a cat or bear to me. I don't like the color schemes for both of them too. Why make Revice and Vice both pink? It just color clashes with my eyes.

The final bit of casting news has proven rather controversial. The voice of Vice will be provided by Subaru Kimura. Toku fans will probably know him best as the voice of the Seiza Blaster in Kyuranger. However, since then Kimura has made numerous social media posts mocking African cultures and on one occasion even posted a photo of himself in blackface. These posts were removed very quickly after getting many negative responses, but he has yet to comment on them in any way and blocks anyone that brings it up.
Kimura is half German (his real surname is "Bartsch") and was born in Germany. He is also fluent in English and lived in the US for a time when appeared on Broadway. So the usual "it's a different culture" argument doesn't apply here.

So you're saying that if enough people in the Western Toku community try and "cancel" this guy, he'll get recasted?? It took about 11 years of idiotic tweets to Shirakura to finally get Toei to go after the fansub groups of Rider and Sentai, effectively ending the little paradise with had with fansubs.

D

Dr Kain

Funny how much people are getting upset over the casting of Kimura, a guy I have never heard of before today, because of what he did, but clearly no one gave a damn about this before. He's done HOW MANY anime series, video games, and movies, but NOW it's a problem? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He's also the Japanese voice of M'Baku in the MCU, so clearly Marvel saw nothing wrong with what he has done. Plus, it's Japan, they're entire country runs on racism, so they don't care what a bunch of white boys who live on the other side of the world and aren't the target demographic think.

Anwyay, the story itself sounds kind of interesting, outside of Vice just being Ankh 2.0. However, given it's being produced by the moron who gave us Kyuranger, so what little hopes I had are now gone.

D

Dr Kain

So you're saying that if enough people in the Western Toku community try and "cancel" this guy, he'll get recasted?? It took about 11 years of idiotic tweets to Shirakura to finally get Toei to go after the fansub groups of Rider and Sentai, effectively ending the little paradise with had with fansubs.

Toei's just protecting their own properties, it's not their fault.

R

raden238

Funny how much people are getting upset over the casting of Kimura, a guy I have never heard of before today, because of what he did, but clearly no one gave a damn about this before. He's done HOW MANY anime series, video games, and movies, but NOW it's a problem? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He's also the Japanese voice of M'Baku in the MCU, so clearly Marvel saw nothing wrong with what he has done. Plus, it's Japan, they're entire country runs on racism, so they don't care what a bunch of white boys who live on the other side of the world and aren't the target demographic think.

Another forum is apparently very "upset" about this. I highly doubt anybody in Japan cares and it's just another spur-of-the-moment reaction from the great ole internet.

Toei's just protecting their own properties, it's not their fault.

Oh absolutely. Many western Toku fans wanted acknowledgement so badly from Toei that they destroyed the oasis of fansubbing and watching Sentai and Rider without jumping through hurdles. None of these shows were every intended for other countries to begin with. But they wanted attention so badly and here we are today. Idiots ruining it for others. Also, I do support official patent releases of all Toku shows, but fansubbing was the best thing we had and now its gone.

D

Dr Kain

It's not exactly gone when fansubbers are still doing it though.

I just hope all of this encourages Toei to get better about licensing their shows to the US, or hell, do what Tsuburaya does with the latest series on their YouTube channel.

Of course, no matter what there will be the entitled few who will refuse to watch it legally just because they can.

Formally known as Bennu
This whole Subaru Kimura incident is a reminder that parts of Japan suffers from casual racism, yet Japan likes to wag its finger at countries like America for its treatment of minorities in some of its media, whether openly or through fictional analogues.

Double standard much, Japan?

The making "a deal with the devil" concept isn't bad either.
They kinda did that with Eiji's early interactions with Ankh in OOO. But then Double's sales figures came through and suddenly Eiji and Ankh were being made into best buddies just like Phillip and Shotaro were.

I don't think it will be the same relationship here though. For starters, it seems that Vice is nowhere near as serious as Ankh was. The bits of info coming from people in Japan who saw their short film suggest he's more comparable to Deadpool.
So you're saying that if enough people in the Western Toku community try and "cancel" this guy, he'll get recasted??
No, that's not what I'm saying. What you propose there seems pretty futile. The guy is already under contract and the character has debuted. There's no practical action anyone in the English-speaking fandom can take. Even refusing to buy the toys is likely to harm Team Rider USA and Bluefin more than it would affect things in Japan.

But if we're here to talk about toku and the people working on these shows, then it's also appropriate to say that this guy did things that are not OK and we shouldn't just excuse them or pretend that they're fine.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Soooo... Today was the premiere. Anyone get a chance to watch it?

We didn't get an opening sequence for the episode (I didn't really watch it yet, but I got far enough into a raw to see that much.) but, here is the opening theme.

D

Dr Kain

Soooo... Today was the premiere. Anyone get a chance to watch it?

We didn't get an opening sequence for the episode (I didn't really watch it yet, but I got far enough into a raw to see that much.) but, here is the opening theme.

The first 5 minutes could have been the entire first episode with how much exposition they crammed into it.