gm1.jpg

Eat take-out and watch youtube videos?
This week: A shy boy named Takeshi fails to work up the courage to give a love letter to his crush, a girl named Yuka. He blames her and decides to hack a hospital run by her family. He is approached by Kahn Digifer, who powers up Takeshi's virus, visualized as a giant monster in a wire-frame world. The computer disruption prevents a young boy named Daichi from having his appendix removed. Daichi's older brother, Naoto, recognizes that it is a hacking attempt and heads to a ramshackle custom PC named "Junk" home-built by himself, Yuka, and their other friend Ippei.

The trio unsuccessfully attempt to use a vaccine program when Junk is taken over by a "Hyper Agent", which takes the physical appearance of a character called Gridman that Ippei had earlier created on the computer. Gridman sends Naoto a wrist-mounted device called the Accepter, which Naoto uses to merge with him. Gridman appears in the wire-frame world, but struggles against the much larger monster until Yuka finds a way to make him grow to similar size. He defeats the monster and restores the hospital's systems to normal, allowing Daichi's operation to proceed. Gridman then separates from Naoto, returning him to the real world.

S

scikaiju

So the human "villian" of ther series is angry at the girl because the hero interrupted him giving him that love letter? Yeah that's some stalker logic right there. Make it insane stalker logic when he decided to hack her family's hospital in revenge. Not sure what I expected when I started watching that first episode but it wasn't that.

Not even that. She bumps into him while running to class. She apologizes and there's a pause where he's all flustered and completely fails to speak to her in any way, never mind hand over the letter, and then she goes because otherwise she'll be late. No interference at all from anyone else.

And the subsequent episodes have had equally flimsy reasons for him to attack certain things. Nobody phones him, except for his mum in order to tell him to do things, so he'll bring down the phone lines so no-one can use them!

D

Dr Kain

Yeah, since I'm going to be reviewing the anime series soon, I decided to watch the first two episodes of the series for some context and so far I'm not impressed. The episodes were kind of boring to sit through and the reasoning for the kid doesn't make sense. Hell, he never even attempt to hand over his love letter and there was nothing to indicate he was in love with the girl. He just mumbles and then later he proclaims she through out his letter and ****. WTF? I hope that kid dies badly as he is already an unlikable creeper.

Anyway, the Gridman fight was not all that great either. I like the concept, but I can't take a monster destroying a digital world seriously for some reason. It could also be that I just don't see a reason to care. I mean, the first time we see this kid he is in bed in pain, yet, I'm supposed to care for him just because he's a kid? I guess... Like my thought process was, "Oh no, they can't actually perform their surgery at that exact moment in time... how terrible." Maybe if it was a heart transplant or something actually complete serious, sure, but again, getting to know this kid first would have helped me care.

Oh, and the visuals are quite atrocious, though that could be the horrible quality of the YouTube video. Not to mention that horrible border is distracting. I found my eyes trailing towards the Gridman BD box set cover over the subtitles and what was going on at times. I wish there was a way to turn that off. I don't get why they didn't stick with the black bars on the side.

S

scikaiju

And the subsequent episodes have had equally flimsy reasons for him to attack certain things. Nobody phones him, except for his mum in order to tell him to do things, so he'll bring down the phone lines so no-one can use them!

Is it safe to say the kid has issues

D

Dr Kain

Is it safe to say the kid has issues

Pretty much. I've got to say that I was so excited to finally check the show out and after those two episodes I'm kind of wondering if it would be worth me buying if Mill Creek does end up releasing it next year.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
The original tokusatsu is a classic unlike that horrible anime Trigger made two years back (those people need to join in with Type Moon and get bankrupt out of existence, we did it to Manglobe who made the atrocious Samurai Champloo, they can fall too!). Based Gridman is based.

D

Dr Kain

You're the first person I have ever seen say something bad about the anime and given how delusional you are, I'm expecting it to be absolutely incredible now.

BTW, being considered a classic doesn't make it good. ET is considered a classic while The Thing was an utter bomb and look which movie still matters today.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

The original tokusatsu is a classic
It is also a subpar Tsuburaya show that doesn't have much going for it beyond good visuals.
Megaranger and Kuuga (though maybe first half of Hibiki would be a better example in this case) did Gridman's thing better, because, unlike Gridman's team, producer Takatera understood how to make grounded SoL-focused tokusatsu compelling. Not to say that Gridman is awful or anything, but for the most part it's just bland, basically being Brave Exkaiser of the 90s toku.
But I haven't seen Trigger's anime yet, so can't compare them.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
You're the first person I have ever seen say something bad about the anime and given how delusional you are, I'm expecting it to be absolutely incredible now.
It was loaded with problems:

>tone took itself way too seriously
>most of the cast did nothing useful
>low quality music
>annoying rival villain
>slow pacing
>choppy animation
>tact on last minute message

It sucked ass. Not as hard as Iron Menstruation Gundam or Crap la Crap, but it did.
Megaranger and Kuuga (though maybe first half of Hibiki would be a better example in this case) did Gridman's thing better, because, unlike Gridman's team, producer Takatera understood how to make grounded SoL-focused tokusatsu compelling
Kuuga I can see your view on, but Megaranger? It was just high school nonsense.
basically being Brave Exkaiser of the 90s toku.
And Exkaiser was awesome as hell. It may not have gotten 10/10s like most other Braves series (not Goldran because that deserves scorn), but it was damn cool. Bland and based is better than unique and cringe.