Well that's what they said they were going to do when they first announced this thing.
Not quite. They said there would be further episodes and were very vague about the whole subtitle situation.

I don't think their end goal is really to have completely subtitled series on youtube. It won't generate enough ad revenue to be a better option than selling the DVD/Blu Ray rights to licensees (Discotek, Shout, etc). It's more of a way to generate proof that's there's an audience for a show when they're trying to negotiate with them. If they can get fans to do translation work for them for free, that's just a bonus for Toei.

Of course, with nobody overseeing what is being uploaded, prepare for inevitable gag sub shenanigans.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

Yeah, I'll be more motivated to watch them on physical disc than on YouTube.

T

Tom Strong

They own the home video rights, but it was negotiated so long ago that it probably didn't include streaming. Also, there's a rumour that the deal might have expired a while ago. Licensing agreements usually allow you to sell off any remaining stock after the deal ends. It's not as if they were moving loads of copies; The last pallet of DVDs will probably last them quite a while.

Also, it looks like Toei are putting up further episodes without subs...but have switched on the "community captions" option to make it clear they are quite happy for fans to do the work for them without pay. ? For reference, please don't upload any existing fansubs onto the youtube videos.
Thank you for the reply!

I suppose the other thing we're all wondering is who exactly owns all the Kamen Rider rights such that they're not posting any besides Shin? Shout Factory? We can hope, I suppose . .

T

Tom Strong

I don't speak Japanese, but I'm personally fine if they posted series without subtitles. I've watched quite a few series that way. I know I'm in the minority on this issue though . .

Harumph.
Well that's what they said they were going to do when they first announced this thing.
Not really. They said they were going to make a public call for subtitles, which is a fairly nebulous statement. A lot of folks correctly guessed that this was what they were going to do, but it wasn't confirmed until they actually started uploading titles without subtitles.

D

Dr Kain

I don't speak Japanese, but I'm personally fine if they posted series without subtitles. I've watched quite a few series that way. I know I'm in the minority on this issue though . .

I've watched many shows raw too. Hell, until I recently sold Ginga and Magi, this was my Region 2 DVD collection:

8CCFVq8.jpg

However, I don't see a reason to watch any series raw anymore when nearly every series has been fansubbed. There's no point in my going to watch an unsubbed show when there are like 20 series that have been subbed. This isn't 2004 anymore.