thumbnail_image4

Do you think that the viewers will realize that we're re-using the ending to 'Iron Man'?
Nah, that movie's eleven years old. Most of them weren't even born when it came out.

Aruto has his first verbal clash with his obligatory angry secondary Rider, they are interrupted by a bat-themed HumaGear (seriously, where were you last week along with a spider? There are rules dammit!), it turns out "authorize" actually has a meaning beyond being word salad for the belts to shout, that mechanical grasshopper smashes ALL OF THE GLASS, we meet Battle Rise Hopper, we'll totally overlook the obvious truck bed in one shot of the bike chase because they follow it with an Akira Slide, and cargo containers get very melty.

Side note - Avex have recently started making Rider-related music available in the West recently, and with the release of REALxEYEZ they have also made loads more BG music from the Heisei seasons available to stream.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

I was waiting for the episode to end with Aruto saying, "I am Iron man."

A solid episode but it was weird not having the opening theme playing. It better be in next week's episode.

Lurker
And I thought we finally get cool rider again, atleast at Sento level, where MC only occasionally making joke but actually a serious person. We need nation threat level and end this company drama as fast as possible. That is what make me end up liking Build and Gaim. And those thing hidden under water by Metsuboujinrai base looks promising. Added by Aruto Grandpa's last message, I hope after couple of episode to promote regular Rider, there will be massive Humagear rebel against human then they can reduce extras and CGI where those extras turn into bad humagear.
Something like i-Robot.

First of all, I just want to say: Thank you, Toku Prime, for taking time out of your schedule to make this episode discussion. :)

And thus the show establishes its two biggest characters; the main hero who was saved by a Humagear, and the other hero that’s only seen evil Humagears. The one who wants to save them, and the one who wants to destroy them... I'm hanging on because I want to know why it's important for Aruto (seriously, I keep wanting to type Haruto, thanks to Wizard...) to keep his identity a secret. Honestly, if the ending scene is any kind of hint, he won't keep his secret for very long. At the very least, those A.I.M.S. agents will be the first to figure it out.

Also, I will NEVER get tired of seeing motorcycle choreography, but they kind of lost a point for doing the Akira bike slide. Speaking of losing points, I SERIOUSLY hope they improve Aruto’s standup routine as the show goes. I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to drop it entirely, but at least make it charming like they did in Build. Here, it just keeps coming out of nowhere, even though it’s been established that he wants to be a comedian. He’s so over-the-top with it that I’m getting tonal whiplash, and I really don’t like it.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Yeah, I've kind of been ignoring Aruto's writing so far. For the most part, I'm used to knowing that there's going to be at least one character like that in every Rider season, it's just that he's the main lead this time. At the very least, the guy's a pretty good actor. You got to love how he was reacting to meeting AIMS for the first time all throughout this episode.

But, pretty solid introduction to Vulcan. I kind of hope that song that was playing just after Vulcan took out his Humagear is a full song & not just a short musical cue. That was pretty badass. The one thing that threw me is the security guard bot, who seemed to show up again at the end, even though he was destroyed. If that was Aruto's remembering the guy like he was just there, they didn't really frame the shot like that.

Oh, & I just checked. I hope no one minds me saying that episode 3 does finally have an opening theme sequence.

S

scikaiju

Speaking of losing points, I SERIOUSLY hope they improve Aruto’s standup routine as the show goes. I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to drop it entirely, but at least make it charming like they did in Build. Here, it just keeps coming out of nowhere, even though it’s been established that he wants to be a comedian. He’s so over-the-top with it that I’m getting tonal whiplash, and I really don’t like it.
I thought his whole bit was he was supposed to be a comedian but didn't really have a sense of humor. I mean the only person we've seen laugh at him was a humagear when he was a child, and I'm pretty sure he was programmed to do that. Considering in the first episode we see him do his act and he had no audience, and if he hadn't improved since he was a kid I don't think improved jokes are in the cards any time soon.

Lurker
The fact that everyone have to pointed about how Aruto's joke can't work was the real joke here. Like in W, their main character established with word "Halfboiled" using the fact that Shotaro can't act hardboiled and every other character pointet that out.

Rather than wait for Aruto get better with his joke, actually i'm better with Aruto stop his standup routine. He wasn't comedian anymore, he is a leader now and it is better to show his charismatic speech, just like at end of this episode, and only did his joke for nostalgic use. Seriously, I laugh for his failed joke at end of episode, didn't expect he will destroy his own image right after his speech and Izu even help him with it. But I hope he will not often to use it.

A simple passerby...
I have to give Aruto's actor a little more credit than I did when I initially saw the previews. His voice does still annoy me, but it's come down to the times when he does his comedy routine. Also, I think I should mention that whenever Aruto ends up getting into a fight in civilian form, gets knocked down, somehow, in the next shot, his hair is back to being perfectly straightened out when before it was all muffled.

I think the comedy routine is just kind of poor to be honest, and a case of forcing actors to commit to something that they can't do properly. I understand that it's something similar to Shotaro's "half-boiled" schtick, but honestly, Kiriyama Ren was kind of perfect when it came to portraying that. This just feels like the comedy routine is poorly done, like, it wasn't written to "bomb" in design, it was written to come off as unnerving and poor, but kind of sloppily. Yes, I just said they did a bit that was meant to come off as bad comedy poorly. He's kind of growing on me weirdly, although there's a lot of aspects about his character that is still "off" for me.

Lurker
I have to give Aruto's actor a little more credit than I did when I initially saw the previews. His voice does still annoy me, but it's come down to the times when he does his comedy routine. Also, I think I should mention that whenever Aruto ends up getting into a fight in civilian form, gets knocked down, somehow, in the next shot, his hair is back to being perfectly straightened out when before it was all muffled.

Well, he is new. I think he still adjusted his acting with his voice. He get better ever episode.
About hair, I hope you are joking.

I think the comedy routine is just kind of poor to be honest, and a case of forcing actors to commit to something that they can't do properly. I understand that it's something similar to Shotaro's "half-boiled" schtick, but honestly, Kiriyama Ren was kind of perfect when it came to portraying that. This just feels like the comedy routine is poorly done, like, it wasn't written to "bomb" in design, it was written to come off as unnerving and poor, but kind of sloppily. Yes, I just said they did a bit that was meant to come off as bad comedy poorly. He's kind of growing on me weirdly, although there's a lot of aspects about his character that is still "off" for me.

This kind character need another character to make them look better. I didn't like Shotaro antic until Terui join in and make him more stand out with his character. The same happen with Gentarou and Kouta.

A simple passerby...
That's kind of why I said they should hire more experienced actors instead of using Rider as a way to always bring in new faces. And no, I'm not kidding about the hair. I know this is an Episode 2 discussion thread, but Episode 3 had a VERY clear example of it.

The problem with point with bringing in another character to "make him look better" isn't necessarily the case. They already have the five main characters that are gonna be Riders since the start, plus Izu who is his supporting member. It's not about needing more characters, it's about the writing.