R

raden238

Just got around watching the final episode and wow this was not satisfying.

- Kamen Rider Tsukuyomi did absolutely nothing! The whole "pretending to be evil, in order to secretly foil the plans of the bad guy" is so old. It already got old during Decade and that was a decade ago. The stabbing scene could have easily been her using Zi-O's sword or something. The drama was so forced and unnecessary, it makes me wonder if its filler.

- Sougo's Uncle fixing the all the ridewatches. I will give them credit, I did not notice that Uncle worked in a clock repair shop and the "ride watches" were "watches", so of course he could have fixed them! This is just a classic toku "who gives a flying f*k" scene, that makes no sense.

- Geiz and Tsukuyomi dying, only to be brought back along with Heure and Ora in a different universe/timeline, good job Toei, haven't seen this before.

- Sougo transforming into Ohma Zi-O was badass. Easily the best part of the episode but the show.

- Grand Zi-O's ability to summon Legend Riders from their respective time periods for attacks, when they're defeated what happens to them?

- Why was Woz Ginga affected by the Another Decade's time jacker attack? Didn't an earlier episode, clearly show that he can negate that?

- The whole resetting the timeline/universe and starting fresh has been done to death. Did they producers really like Build that much to copy it again? They don't even try to be vague with the ending either, of course Sougo will be Ohma Zi-O.

Overall, Zi-O was not a satisfying end to the Heisei Era. I admire the fact that Toei got back so many alumnus to return to reprise their roles, including having Decade and Diend being supporting characters throughout the series and even building upon their history. But the rest of the Riders, were just "hey we're back remember us?, remember this reference? good!". Gokaiger from Super Sentai did it better, it taught the team, gave them lessons and advice. But here Sougo doesn't even remember most of the stuff that he was been through. They just brush over most of arcs and it doesn't have a lasting impact. Not to mention the fact they don't even follow their own Ridewatch lore, midway into the season. The producers clearly didn't know what they wanted to do. We went from time travel to multiverse in the last 4 episodes. I admire that they wanted to redo Decade's ending and for the most part it's better. It confirms that the Riders do indeed have multiple A.R. world counterparts.

I didn't like Geiz and Tsukuyomi's characters at all. One just spends the whole time "ping ponging whether or not he wants to kill Sougo" and the other is just has this whole emotionless, indifferent personality and that did not contribute anything to the show. You have easily replaced her role in the final act, with Geiz or Woz. Black Woz's was just another "bad guy turned good" character, along the likes of Grease, Taiga and Necrom. I'm just so sick of Toei cookie cutting the same character molds every single year.

For an "end of an era"/celebration of the Heisei era, it could have been better. This was clearly a remake of Decade, but it doesn't make much improvements. The whole show was filled with plot holes that are enough to make its own thread and just overall lost a lot of steam, once they started those future rider arcs that acted as Woz's power ups. I would give the show a 6.5/10. It's better than Hibiki and Ghost, who are still my two least favorite Heisei shows.

D

Dr Kain

I prefer Faiz's ending to be left as it was: ambiguous whether or not he lived or died.

Ambiguous for whom?

Of course, the 555 ending was complete and utter ****. They spent 50 episodes and nothing happened because there was no ending. We didn't even get to see the final battle. I gave Kuuga leeway because it was the first series after a decade long hiatus. 555 had no excuses.

D

Dr Kain

I purposely left Build complaining out of that post and tried to focus on what Zi-O did correctly and where it stood amongst its peers. Also the soap box will die when I find a worse tokusatsu. As in worse, not just as bad or slightly better. Not. One. Nanosecond. Before. And yes, my perception of time moves so slow for me I can feel the nanoseconds.

Oh yeah and the final episode was legit good and had nothing dumb in it aside from resetting the multiverse into different Earths again. It messes with continuity a little, but in ten years or a movie maybe it'll change, I'm more open to these now. Looking forward to the movie!

Of course a dumb ass retarded mother fucker like you would think Zi-O was good. But hey, it must be real good fucking your sister mother.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

@Dr Kain can you not insult others? It's just a show, have some restrain.

They spent 50 episodes and nothing happened because there was no ending.
I mean, things still happened. 555 was a character-driven show first and foremost.
Hibiki fits the definition of "nothing happened" way more, but it was a character-driven show as well (well, tried to be).

A simple passerby...
555 was more focused on exploring the effects of how miscommunication can happen, even if it's become relatively easier to (with personal phones and what not) because people don't mean what they say when they write things in a text (I'd say that's become more true when it comes to the Internet). And no, Faiz had a story. It also had an ending that was purposely left open-ended because it was exploring themes of isolation, and trying to reconcile things without hiding from one another. Clearly, towards the end, no matter how many times Kiba and Takumi fought over their differences, they came to an agreement at the end on one thing: the world needed to be saved, even if they weren't sure what the answer to anything else was. It's not a story about an aspirational hero. It's a story about a realistic hero who isn't perfect.

Kusaka was ultimately killed because he refused to ever reconcile anything, and chose to walk his own self-defined path despite being told he should stop. That's the difference between him and Kiba. That's why Takumi could come to an actual agreement with Kiba much better than Kusaka, despite the fact that Kusaka is supposed to be the main secondary Rider. It doesn't help Kusaka's case, when he finds out that Takumi is also an Orphenoch, because it's easy to see him as picking sides whenever he protects an Orphenoch. At the end of the day, it's kind of a cautionary tale in a sense. Kusaka had a mother complex that he applied to Mari, in an essence he's still a boy and didn't grow emotionally. In a sense, so is Takumi. The difference between them was that Takumi knew what it was like to be different in a bad way and be treated poorly. Kusaka only pursued excellence to be praised as different in a good way.

To say there was no story, you must have stuck your neck deep in a hole or something.

I don't even mind there not being a "final fight". We got plenty of episodes with awesome fight choreography, if anything, it was great they didn't drag that fight out and let them all try to go for the kill because they meant serious business.

You can say what you want about 555, and you can think your train of thought is justified, but that's the point of the opening song: everyone thinks their end justifies the means, and all you're doing by thinking that is repeating a cycle and forcing others to repeat it because you don't want to go along with them.

D

Dr Kain

I mean, things still happened. 555 was a character-driven show first and foremost.
Hibiki fits the definition of "nothing happened" way more, but it was a character-driven show as well (well, tried to be).

Hibiki at least tried to be unique and original and featured beautiful cinematography and music to boot.

Both shows failed at actually killing off their main villains though, as did Kabuto.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Hibiki at least tried to be unique and original and featured beautiful cinematography and music to boot.
555 was pretty original at the time. It was gritty, slick and modern Kamen Rider series, while not being restrained by surrealstic feel of Ryuki's Mirror World. Not to mention it's the first Heisei series to humanize villains to such degree. It felt like human-vs-human conflict like never before.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Also, since Super Hero Taisen movies aren't canon (and Kamen Rider 4 by extension)
GP specifically was canon, timelines were just fluid thanks to Great Leader's time travel shenanigans.
Of course a dumb ass retarded mother fucker like you would think Zi-O was good. But hey, it must be real good fucking your sister mother.
I thought it was good because it was. Chillax, bro. *munches on fritos*

S

scikaiju

Kain watch it with the attacks, if it's still possible on this new version of the board put him on ignore. That goes for everybody who finds Shark's constant bashing of build annoying.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

GP specifically was canon, timelines were just fluid thanks to Great Leader's time travel shenanigans.
According to producer Shirakura, all Taisen movies aren't canon. Only what directly ties to TV stuff. GP3 should be canon yeah, but it's not.