AA6.mkv_snapshot_00.12_2019.07.15_19.33.05-768x432.jpg
Renounce your vengeful god and you will be free.

Welcome to the discussion thread for Dinoknight Sentai Ryusoulger, episode 17; "The Captive Warrior".
(Show's title and episode title translation may vary depending on your fansub group of choice.)
This week: Waizuru returns and uses a Minosaur to capture Mosarex, using his magic to turn the Kishiryu on Canalo as he turns to the Ryusoulgers for help.

This thread was made with Toku Prime's permission. And remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.​

Ora ora ora ora--*Ahem* Wrong show.

And just like that, Wyzul returns like nothing ever happened, and the show is a little bit better for it. Though I am a little worried that Canalo trying to find a girlfriend will just become a running gag in the show, but there's not much I can do about that. In fact, I'm more worried that after this episode, Mosa Rex will completely forget about his grudge with the Ryusoul Tribe of the surface since he was more than eager to combine with Dimevolcano.

...Speaking of, Spino Thunder is just as awkward in-show to look at as his toy form.

D

Dr Kain

17 and 18 were just more of the same. No plot advancement, no development for the villains, I seriously have no idea what the rangers' goal actually is beyond just defeating the monsters. Like what is the their aim? What do they want to accomplish in life personally? Also, how the **** can a rock become the host for a monster? I thought monsters could only come from actual living things? ALso, Gold and Black were working just fine in the last episode, how come Gold is suddenly playing the loner bit again?

17 and 18 were just more of the same.

I'm beginning to lose count how many times I have to say this...
PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS FUTURE EPISODES! This topic thread is for Episode 17 ONLY. I don't care how similar you think they are, if you want to talk about Episode 18, wait for the Episode 18 thread to be posted.
(I can't do much about my temptation to not make these discussion threads anymore, but I suppose I need to revise the discussion descriptions to not talk about future episodes. Didn't think I needed to specify that, but I guess I will now...)

To answer your questions as best I can...
  • Do they NEED an aim beyond defeating the monsters? If so, why? Sometimes straight forward is perfectly acceptable. It might not be the greatest story, but it's not the worst.
  • Koh wants to travel the world at some point, Melto seems interested in studying and learning things, Asuna probably wants to try as many foods and delicacies as possible (it was a random joke in a previous episode). Not sure about the rest, but that's something.
  • I don't know, how can a treasure chest become a host? Because this show decided to go in a silly, wacky direction. You don't have to like it, just means it's not for you.
  • Again, spoilers! Save it for the proper discussion topic, please.

Is there a Stockholm Syndrome going on in sci-fi/fantasy circles? I've seen hopeless defense of stuff in the toku fandom, but how I see it in Star Wars and Star Trek fans praising Discovery and the debacle of the recent movies after having once swearing off anything past the original trilogy. Can't a show or series just be honestly declared moribund?

D

Dr Kain

I'm beginning to lose count how many times I have to say this...
PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS FUTURE EPISODES! This topic thread is for Episode 17 ONLY. I don't care how similar you think they are, if you want to talk about Episode 18, wait for the Episode 18 thread to be posted.
(I can't do much about my temptation to not make these discussion threads anymore, but I suppose I need to revise the discussion descriptions to not talk about future episodes. Didn't think I needed to specify that, but I guess I will now...)

To answer your questions as best I can...
  • Do they NEED an aim beyond defeating the monsters? If so, why? Sometimes straight forward is perfectly acceptable. It might not be the greatest story, but it's not the worst.
  • Koh wants to travel the world at some point, Melto seems interested in studying and learning things, Asuna probably wants to try as many foods and delicacies as possible (it was a random joke in a previous episode). Not sure about the rest, but that's something.
  • I don't know, how can a treasure chest become a host? Because this show decided to go in a silly, wacky direction. You don't have to like it, just means it's not for you.
  • Again, spoilers! Save it for the proper discussion topic, please.

Well I type up my stuff in batches and post in whatever the current topics are (not just this site, but several sites). There was not 18, so I posted it here since this was the next up to date topic. So fine, if the newest topic isn't going to be up to date, I just won't post here.

As for your questions.

1. No, but having an aim would actually make them interesting because it means they have a purpose for doing what they are doing rather than just because. This isn't the 70s and 80s anymore where the heroes get to be heroes just for the sake of being heroes. They need a purpose, some driving force, something to make them deeper than the sheet of paper they are reading their lines from.

2. Asuna wants to try many foods... if that's all there is to her, then Toei really does have no idea how to write a good female character.

3. There was a monster living in the treasure chest as it was a Mimic.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you talking about? 80s heroes if not 70s as well had plenty of motivation besides "just because". It's the later shows of the recent two decades that more and more have no real purpose beyond "We're heroes because it's in the script".

If you want to discuss a franchise where there are no real motivations for the heroes, look at Harry Potter.

Is there a Stockholm Syndrome going on in sci-fi/fantasy circles?

Maybe.
I can't really speak on anyone else's behalf, but as for me, I'm mostly enjoying Ryusoulger just because I'm in the right mood/state of mind for it. :) I realize shows like this don't really appeal to a lot of people, and it doesn't exactly deserve the title of best or even good at times. But I wouldn't call it objectively bad either, at least not quite yet.

The trade off is that I cannot recommend shows like Ryusoulger to everyone, only to people in the right mood for it like I am. I will GLADY celebrate shows with depth and better storytelling/characters/etc., I'll even recommend those kind of shows to others. But I'm not going to abandon a lesser show just because it has a lack of depth, and I'm definitely not going to discourage people from talking about it with comments like "Move along people, nothing to see here."

So fine, if the newest topic isn't going to be up to date, I just won't post here.

[...]

2. Asuna wants to try many foods... if that's all there is to her, then Toei really does have no idea how to write a good female character.

I post episode discussion threads every week, doing my best to keep up with the newest episodes but also giving fansub groups time to release their work. Sometimes I end up posting discussions a little later than I like, but if there is any further delay, it's because I'm busy with family, job, or other matters in my life. If somehow that's not fast enough, or if kindly asking people to be considerate about future episodes is going too far, would you like to make the episode discussion topics instead? I'm willing to hand over the reins if someone really wants to be in charge.

Also, what's wrong with Asuna wanting to try foods? o_O I know it's not much, but at least they didn't make her someone who only cares about getting a boyfriend, being married someday, or any other kind of female stereotype.

Maybe.
I can't really speak on anyone else's behalf, but as for me, I'm mostly enjoying Ryusoulger just because I'm in the right mood/state of mind for it. :)

Too often "right mood" translates to lowered standards/expectations", but that's a cynic talking.

Also, what's wrong with Asuna wanting to try foods? o_O I know it's not much, but at least they didn't make her someone who only cares about getting a boyfriend, being married someday, or any other kind of female stereotype.

And what is so wrong about wanting to get married? Is marriage/childrearing some disease that "current year" folk think is akin to ebola? Actually, folks are more likely to allow ebola-infected people into places where the virus doesn't exist, than to hold females who value those two things with high regard, such is their insanity.

And what is so wrong about wanting to get married?

Absolutely nothing, and I've probably enjoyed that kind of characterization a time or two myself. But you still have to admit that in terms writing a fictional FEMALE character, it's an obviously stereotypical crutch. It's been before tons of times, and not all females in the world care about that kind of thing. Personally, if I were creating a fictional TV show aimed at kids of all ages and genders, I'd rather show that girls can be whatever they want to be and relationship goals don't have to be your only life goals. You can do other things too.