K

Kamen Rider IXA

I've been giving recent Sheriff stuff a rewatch (well, trying anyway) and it's one feeling I got from (inconceivably boring) Gavan movie and following Sakamoto Space Squad stuff is how far they are removed from... well, Space Sheriffs.
Apperently people like them and they are successful, but not successful enough to register Metal Heroes as a popular thing today (which is weird, since Arakawa's wriing them, and if any modern Toei writer should stick the landing, it's him).
Here's what I wonder. Can more OG-spirited Metal Heroes shows work today? If not what SHOULD modern Metal Heroes be in order to be competetive with Sentai and Riders?
Feel free to also post your feelings on modern Gavan stuff in general. Do you like it? Do you look forward to new Space Squad movies and what do you want to see in them?

R

raden238

Here's what I wonder. Can more OG-spirited Metal Heroes shows work today? If not what SHOULD modern Metal Heroes be in order to be competetive with Sentai and Riders?

Any Toku series could work in today's world. If Metal Heroes want to be competitive with Rider and Sentai than all they need is for their hero to use collectible items as weaponry. My main gripe with Toku today is how toy-centric it is. I remember the glory years where a Sentai or Rider toyline would span less than 10 items (talking DX toys here). Nowadays you have to buy like 50 freakin toys just to get the Rider belt or Sentai changer to function! It also affects the way the show is written too. I have lost count on how many god damn toku series required collecting items to progress with a plot (Kyuranger and Zi-O as an example). It's so boring now and its actually one of the reasons why I'm kinda losing interest. I know the real purpose of these shows is to sell toys to make money and that without it these shows could cease to exist such as the Sentai crisis that's happening right now with Ryusoulger. I haven't watched that show either because I can already guess its about collecting something.

I didn't mean to get off topic but if Metal Heroes were to return in today's world, it would be like something along the lines of "oh this hero needs these things to power up". Even Ultraman has fallen into this trend. I wish toku in general would fall back into simpler times when it wasn't so toy driven. When you really think about it no toku show really needs the toy driven stories because in the end the show's outcome is not really affected by it. It's more or less the commercial side of the show.

As for the Space Squad series, its ok. I rather have Toei keep the franchise going with some movies here and there. A full yearly show would be nice. But all the elements of Metal Hero could and have already been incorporated into Kamen Rider, which is why there probably was no need to bring them back full-time.

I wouldn't mind putting Sentai on hiatus for a few years to bring back the Metal Heroes shows.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

I wish toku in general would fall back into simpler times when it wasn't so toy driven.
Do you think it's possible? I just can't imagine that Bandai and Toei would go "okay guys, it's time to stop. Let's take a few steps back and don't make as many toys for some time".

these shows could cease to exist such as the Sentai crisis that's happening right now with Ryusoulger.
I've always felt that rumors of Sentai potential demise were overexaggerated and apperently it's possible that at least one more Sentai after Ryusoul is happening.

I'd like to see more Space Squad movies, preferably with more Metal Hero alumni reprising their roles or being mentors to successors. Space Squad has generally been better made and better written than either the Superhero Taisens or the Movie War crossovers. As for the show coming back, I can't imagine how it wouldn't be screwed over the way you two have already described. I wouldn't mind some new movies or specials at least, even a miniseries like Amazons.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

So here's another question then.
What Metal Hero series specifically would you like to make a comeback in any form?

Would like to change his avatar
There's a big opportunity to do the Space Sheriffs right -- they just didn't care with the old shows. They were cheap placeholders, they weren't given the budget they needed, they weren't thought out. I always thought there was potential to bring them back, and they could be given a bigger, more expansive world, and that technology now could make for more variety in funky landscapes. But the terrible, terrible, no good Next Generation Space Sheriff works prove that Toei still has no interest in doing anything interesting with them, so the Space Sheriff Metal Heroes can just piss off as far as I'm concerned.

Next Generation Space Sheriffs aren't terrible. I will say the Shaider movie was the weakest of all of them, but Sharivan's wasn't bad. Even the 2012 Gavan movie is still more tolerable than most of the crossover movies of the past decade.

R

raden238

So here's another question then.
What Metal Hero series specifically would you like to make a comeback in any form?

Jiban and Exceedraft because they look so dang cool.

Do you think it's possible? I just can't imagine that Bandai and Toei would go "okay guys, it's time to stop. Let's take a few steps back and don't make as many toys for some time".

Bandai could do it. I even remember in 2012 the Go-Busters toyline was rather lite and was reminisce to the classic years. Only a few mechs released and no collectiables for the show. Rider on the other hand just got more and more insane as the years went by. Fourze onward they went nuts. But its all about making money so yeah I can't imagine it stopping either. I just wish we get Toku Heroes that don't need a few dozens collectibles to fight the monsters every year.

Next Generation Space Sheriffs aren't terrible. I will say the Shaider movie was the weakest of all of them, but Sharivan's wasn't bad. Even the 2012 Gavan movie is still more tolerable than most of the crossover movies of the past decade.

I agree the 2012 Gavan movie did a decent job passing the torch and much more watchable than most toku films in this decade.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Bandai could do it. I even remember in 2012 the Go-Busters toyline was rather lite and was reminisce to the classic years. Only a few mechs released and no collectiables for the show.
How well Go-Busters did toy-wise? Did they sell a lot?

Even the 2012 Gavan movie is still more tolerable than most of the crossover movies of the past decade.
I agree the 2012 Gavan movie did a decent job passing the torch and much more watchable than most toku films in this decade.
I don't know, I honestly thought Gavan movie was really bland. Like it's an early Heisei Ultraman movie with one-note boring and forgettable characters. it doesn't look like Toei kept in mind for what audience that movie was as well, since they've dropped that serious style almost instantly and went to Sakamoto.
I dislike SHT Z like most Taisens, but I think it's still a more entertaining movie with Gavan in it.

Jiban and Exceedraft because they look so dang cool.

Bandai could do it. I even remember in 2012 the Go-Busters toyline was rather lite and was reminisce to the classic years. Only a few mechs released and no collectiables for the show. Rider on the other hand just got more and more insane as the years went by. Fourze onward they went nuts. But its all about making money so yeah I can't imagine it stopping either. I just wish we get Toku Heroes that don't need a few dozens collectibles to fight the monsters every year.

If collecting is popular right now why do they need to stop?