YuRLLMu8

It's so scary, it's out of this world!

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kamen Rider Zi-O, episode 35; "2008: First Love, Wake Up!".
(Episode title's translation may vary depending on your fansub group of choice.)
This week: A lawyer visiting Kujigojidō is attacked by Another Kiva, Sougo's childhood crush who seeks to become "queen" of the world. Just then, an new enemy named Kamen Rider Ginga enters the fray to destroy the world.

This thread was made with Toku Prime's permission. And remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.​

The first episode of the series not to be written by either Kento Shimoyama or Nobuhiro Mouri. Instead they actually brought back the infamous Toshiki Inoue, head writer of (among much else) Kiva and son of Masaru Igami (the head writer of the original KR).

And the legacy continues, as one of the shows that Zi-O broadcasts against is GeGeGe no Kitaro, and apparently one of the writers on that show is Toshiki's daughter, Akiko Inoue. I wonder if they were keen to see which got the better ratings lol?

I think the cafe scene was the best of this one. It doesn't look the same as the one from Kiva, but the wood paneling etc was close enough to evoke the same atmosphere. I hope Ginga gets a bit more to do next episode. He was a bit robotic in this.

A simple passerby...
Toshiki Inoue is past his prime. Agito and Faiz are the only two shows I watched and liked that he made. I think he missed an opportunity with Kiva, so... seeing him write an episode here? Yeah, I'm really not impressed. If anything it was so lackluster. Yuko's character could have been interesting. The actress is pretty great. But damn, her catchphrase she says everytime is just cringe. Like her thing with Sougo was so forced, I kept facepalming.

I can't help but wonder if the cold opening left any kids confused at first. The tone was so strikingly different from the rest of the show that a child might think they tuned into some drama instead of their usual superhero show. :p

As for the rest of this episode, it was rather... crowded. The Kiva related parts were intriguing enough on their own, but then you've got the introduction of Ginga out of nowhere. Also, are the Arm Monsters just mindless puppets now? They just gladly follow anyone that remotely looks like Kiva, or is this about following whoever has his powers? The next episode had better make up for this.

At least Jiro/Garulu's original actor reprised his roll. I don't ask for much, just seeing at least one member of the original cast is enough for me.

And the legacy continues, as one of the shows that Zi-O broadcasts against is GeGeGe no Kitaro, and apparently one of the writers on that show is Toshiki's daughter, Akiko Inoue. I wonder if they were keen to see which got the better ratings lol?

I think the cafe scene was the best of this one. It doesn't look the same as the one from Kiva, but the wood paneling etc was close enough to evoke the same atmosphere. I hope Ginga gets a bit more to do next episode. He was a bit robotic in this.

That's some tough competition! I've heard Kitaro's been covering some pretty hard-hitting social commentary in their episodes lately. The franchise has come a long way.

As for the cafe, I could have sworn it was the exact same location, just with a big change in the decor. Am I wrong?