KAMEN-RIDER-ZERO-ONE.jpg

Well, it's been just over a year since we got the trademark for Zi-O, and sure enough here's Toei's latest application. The first Reiwa Kamen Rider is...Kamen Rider Zero-One!

R

raden238

Ok Toei you got my attention. I was seriously debating whether or not I should put Kamen Rider on hiatus after Zi-O. I started watching every single Rider series as it aired NEW in Japan since Fourze in 2011. Never stopped since.

I have a few theories for such an interesting and cool name as Zero-One.

1. Is he related to Super-1? When I first heard the news, I couldn't help but think that Zero-One could possibly be a homage to Super-1. Maybe Toei is going back to it's cyborg roots? That would be awesome. Could he be the son of Super-1?

2. Is he related to Zi-O. Zero-One, Zi-O kinda similar names, makes me wonder if they would connected in some way besides the inevitable winter team-up movie that we'll be getting later this year.

3. He was named Zero-One because he is the First Main Rider in the Reiwa era.

4. He's named Zero-One because he's a cyborg? and that later on we'll get a Zero-Two, Zero-Three etc... So maybe we're getting a cyborg mechanical rider?

I never want to set my expectations high for Kamen Rider. Toei is so unpredictable and wacky with their toku heroes nowadays. We don't know what to expect because the name may not represent what that Rider really is. But I hope he is an homage to Super-1 and the Showa Riders in general. I would love see Kamen Rider return to the classic roots and it would make sense its a new era. Time to go back to basics at least for a year if possible.

"Zero-One" makes me think of the original Kamen Rider, but I doubt we're getting anything related to that. Still, cyborgs would be nice. The name reminds me of the Cyborg 009 franchise.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I would have to agree. My first guess would be that it's an homage to the original Rider series, since this is the first official Reiwa Era Rider. Well, I guess I'll be on standby until we find out more...

3. He was named Zero-One because he is the First Main Rider in the Reiwa era.
Yeah, I reckon this is the most likely answer. Either that or "Zero One" sounds close enough to something in Japanese that they can make a pun out of it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a Kikaider 01 homage.

Honestly I was kind of hoping for something different for Reiwa. Say, if Ryusoulger doesn't help Sentai's ratings problem, they might end the regular show and do specials and movies from here on. I really wouldn;t mind something similar happening with Rider.

I sadly don't think we can really expect a great change in style and tone between Phase 2 Heisei and Reiwa. Definitely not in the same way Phase 1 Heisei was a great departure from Showa.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Oh, I did actually catch someone on Rangerboard say that the Japanese words for Zero-One are a pun for the word Reiwa. Unfortunately, that still doesn't really give us anything to go on. Apparently, we've been getting a lot of random hints, but none of them really make any genuine sense, yet. One of them brought up a walkman tape player, another said businessman & briefcases & then one just straight up said spiderman. So...o_O

I want a Guyver-inspired Kamen Rider. Or a Kamen Rider-Guyver crossover. Or just any new Guyver toku.

Oh, I did actually catch someone on Rangerboard say that the Japanese words for Zero-One are a pun for the word Reiwa.
I think someone's been going around a lot of the boards pushing that theory but IMO it doesn't hold any water. The kanji for zero is indeed "rei" but the kanji for one is "ichi". So to get close you have to mix your languages and combine "rei" with "one" to get something like "reiwan"...and then pretend that "n" sound on the end just doesn't exist. It's just clunky compared to the level of wordplay we normally get in toku.
Apparently, we've been getting a lot of random hints
We're at that time of year where there's no information and so everyone just pitches their fan fiction or speculates like crazy and the more popular ones get shared around as if they have any kind of legitimacy.

Last year it was June before we got the first silhouette pictures of Zi-O, so give it another month and we might see one for 01.

We're at that time of year where there's no information and so everyone just pitches their fan fiction or speculates like crazy and the more popular ones get shared around as if they have any kind of legitimacy.

Well, since we're talking about fanfiction, allow me to tempt fate...

I wonder how many fans would be pissed if they decided to go the route of Black RX and make Sougo return for another year, his Rider powers evolved. Maybe it turns out that "Zi-O" was actually suppose to be written as initials, as in Z.O., and those initials stand for Zero-One. Get it?

Okay, maybe that's also a bit clunky, but considering the kinds of jokes and word play I've seen in these past few years, I find that more believable than some word play about how "Zero-One" sounds similar to "Reiwa". Besides, starting off a new era with a sequel instead of a new show? I doubt Toei would really do that. That sequel idea above just came to me randomly and I thought it was funny.