Makai Gaiden: Rook- The Bride of Sorrow

S

scikaiju

Pulling another card Lucille said, “Now.” Smiling Sean stepped on top of the railing and dropped down to the street. Lucille dropped down as well landing next to him. Looking right at Jules she said, “Time to save you from inevitable heartache when he finds someone else.” If she was looking to get a rise out of Jules it failed as she held her ground, Madou brush drawn and at the ready. Marcus, on the other hand, ran right past them at a full run before anyone could stop him.

Sean let him get close enough in order to grab him by the neck and hoist them off the ground. As he tried to free himself Carter and his father both started to move to save him but stopped, not realizing both of them feared it would cause trouble for Marcus. Sean just tsked at the man in his grasp, “You think you would have learned after I spared the two of you last time. Are you in that much of a hurry to die old friend? What do you say my dear, shall we put your old ball and chain out of his misery?”

Taking another card she glanced at it before saying, “We were never a thing and it's not his time yet.” Not even looking up she threw it at Jules with a quick flick of her wrist. Seeing it coming at her she knocked it out of the way with her brush. Taking up a fighting stance got ready as Carter stood next to her.

“You're still too soft at heart Lucille,” with hardly any effort he tossed Marcus to the side. “I wanted sonny boy any way.” The rest of them scattered while Carter held his ground as Sean came at him. A sword suddenly in his hand he swung down at him. Barely avoiding the blow Carter fought back enough that he was able to fully draw the staff to block an attempt at his head. “Oh,” Sean said in mock surprise, “You think you have teeth as well like all the other wolves in the world.” Not saying a word Carter pulled on the staff revealing the hidden blades. Here Sean looked like he was caught off guard as Carter pressed the attack.

Close by Jules and Lucille fought. Obviously the latter wasn't trained to fight like Jules was. But she was holding her own having a similar dancing like style. And Jules had to deal with these larger than normal Tarot cards coming at her from different direction that she had to deal with. “He will find someone else,” she said during the card assault. “They all will, it's in their nature. He will break your heart.”

Jumping up to avoid a card coming at her legs, Jules spun over and kicked her legs out nailing the other woman in the head. Trying to ignore how good that felt Jules told her, “You don't know Carter.”

“Do you?”, she shot back as she cracked her neck before continuing her attack. “I saw it, he already hide something from you that you just learned about.” That caused Jules to pause. She did just found out about Mason. Lucille smiled seeing she hit the mark. “If he hid that from you after all this time, what else is he capable of?” The seed planted, that thought stopped her long enough foe Lucille to kick her back.

Both blades out Carter was holding his own against Sean. A fact that seemed to incense the Horror the longer it went on. He Jumped away as Carter tried to slash him with both swords. Crouched down he stared at the Makai Knight, who held his ground. “You realize it's taking you two swords to keep up with me,” he spat.

“And anyone as skilled as you claim to be doesn't need to make excuses,” Carter told him, twirling his blades around in his hands before getting a better grip on them.

“Another thing you noticed from my inferiors,” Sean snarled, rage on the edge of overtaking him.

“Careful Carter,” Xypher muttered, when he realized what he was doing. “He might not react like you think.”

“Not now Xypher,” he mumbled not taking his eyes off the other man. Carter knew full well how bad this tactic could backfire on him. But he had always hated those who bragged about their skills with a sword, even when he was younger, especially when he was younger. Before anything else could happen his father rushed past him, sword held high ready to attack. Carter had to do a double take to make sure he was seeing what he was seeing, “Dad?”

Sean easily countered that initial strike. His father kept on attacking but all of them were blocked or deflected. “This man taught you?”, Sean said to Carter as he easily deflected each strike. “You had to have learned under someone else. How else did you learn to duel wield?” Carter charged in not even hearing him anymore. There may be issues between them but this was his father rushing in to take on a Horror he had already lost to, trying to take him on with a glorified training sword. There was no way in hell he was going to let him face this Horror alone. “Oh is this the family reunion proper then?”, Sean taunted while they both tried to attack him

“Help you're woman,” his father snapped at Carter, frustration growing that the Horror was able to defend against both of them. “This bastard's mine.”

“Stop fighting against me,” Carter snapped back. Both of them were going for the same basic area when they tried to attack, effectively getting into each others way which was allowing Sean to fend both of them off. Sean suddenly grabbed Paul by the coat and threw him across the street. “Dad!”, Carter cried out before he was kicked in the chest and sent flying back.

“And I'm bored now,” Sean said as he stood there. Looking back between the two for a bit, he focused on Paul, “Marcus must have picked up this sudden streak of stubbornness from you old man. Maybe seeing what happens to those who spurn my generosity will curb that new streak.”

“No!”, Marcus shouted as he jumped on Sean's back and wrapped an arm around his neck. Sean tried to sling him off but Marcus held on tight. Probably because he knew his life depended on it. But it gave Carter the chance to get to his feet and connect the blades together and hold it over his head and spin it cutting a circle in the air above him. Lucielle was able to hold Jules off enough to see him do it and held out a hand. Several large Tarot cards quickly covered the circle interior, effectively blocking his armor from coming down.

“What?”, Carter looked up when it happened. Looking back down he saw Sean finally tore Marcus off of him, throwing him into Paul. Flexing the wrist holding the sword he turned into his horror form. Gaining two feet in height his form bulked up, skin almost red in color. Long horns adorned his gargoyle like head. Looking at the sword in his hand he tossed it over his shoulder with out a second thought. Holding out that same arm a long thing spike grew out, almost looking like a sword blade. He started toward his father and Marcus. Carter looked back up at the tarot cards obstructing the armor's portal briefly before running at the Horror. Behind him Lucille had dropped her human form as well in a cyclone of those very cards, now looking like a thin pale gargoyle herself with wings on her back. Every time Jules tried to hit her a tarot card would appear and block the intend strike.

Running up behind Sean he swung with one end of the double bladed staff, cutting him behind the knee. Dropping to a knee he swung with a back hand that Carter rolled under to dodge, getting to a knee he swung out with the staff again but was blocked by the Horror's sword spike. Taking a quick glance back at his father, who was just now stirring, Carter tried everything he could to force the Horror away from him, The horror started laughing as he held him off, “Where was this passion at the start of the fight?” He raised his arm up then swung it down forcing Carter to jump back to avoid the spike. “In fact where was this skill in the old man for that matter?” Retracting the blade he stood there, “Lucille please be a dear and dispose of these gnats for me.”

With a sudden strike that knock Jules back she said,” Of course Sean.” An even larger Tarot card came between her and Jules, but it was transparent enough that the Priest could see through it. “You'll thank me before I'll consume you.” With a wave of her hand another card appeared and it's edge was aimed at Carter. Jules started pounding on the card and shouted but her voice couldn't be heard. Before she could send it Paul rushed in and pushed his son out of the way. Cocking her head she sent it toward her apparently new target. Carter moved and swung his double bladed staff as he tried to get between the card and his father. He intercepted the card but the impact made him lose his grip on it as it flew in the air and stuck up right in the street. Cocking her head again Lucille motioned with her hands again to make more giant cards appear that she sent flying into the side of the building above them. Paul pushed Marcus out of the way as Carter tried to grab him before the rubble came down on them.

Walking over to the staff Sean pulled it out before reverting to his human form. “Well that was a diversion,” he said as he examined his new trophy. “Interesting, I never knew a weapon like this even existed.” With a chuckle he added, “Next thing you know there'll be a Knight with an ax.” Looking over at Lucille he saw her stalk Jules, who still had some fight in her. “Not yet my dear,” he called out. “Let the sadness flavor her a bit more first. She looks a little bland otherwise.”

Studying her for a moment she eventually said, “Of course.” Then turned her back to her, but not before slamming the tarot card into the Priest. Keeping her Horror form she got close to Sean and scooped him up in her arms before flying off into the night sky. After a bit the Tarot card faded away letting Jules to run toward the pile of rubble that Marcus was trying to move piece by piece.

S

scikaiju

“Carter!”, she shouted as she got closer and started to help him. Various things ran through her head, most of them bad. But she saw thing, He was trying to pull his Father out of the way, she was sure of it.So where were they now? A thought hit her as she reached into her pocket and found the new sphere K-Byte had given them earlier. Hoping his didn't get crushed by all of this she rubbed it and said, “Carter.” It flashed like always but she didn't start hoping until the arrow appeared and pointed out his general direction. “Come on, you better be alive,” she muttered as she walked around the pile. Then she started walking on top of it until he pinpointed her location. “Over here!”, she shouted at Marcus, who dropped what he was doing and joined her. They both started moving chunks of rubble until they found them, with Carter trying to cover his father, fortunately this section was a bit more shallow compared to the rest of it. Didn't mean it still wasn't lethal by any means. She turned him over as carefully as she could and tried to find a pulse on him. “Don't be dead you idiot,” she told him. He groaned a bit in response. “I'm going to kill you for putting me through this,” but she smiled as she said it she was so happy.

“I'm..,” he said as he tried to move, then he grunted and reached for his leg. Jules was already there trying to move up his pant's leg. It was bloody,Obviously one of those chunks landed on it, but as far as she could tell nothing was broken. First things first, she helped him into a sitting position before returning her attention to an interior pocket of her coat. A quick search revealed the small metal vial she was looking for. Then she started looking into his pockets for the Madou lighter. “It's in this one,” he grunted while reaching into a pocket on the the other side of his coat and pulled it out.

“Fine,” she told him as she popped the top of the vial, “Then drink this.” He obliged downing the whole thing. Then he tried to position the lighter by his leg. She took it seeing he was having trouble doing so, “I got it.” The blue flame came to life as she flicked the igniter and brought it to his leg. The limb looked like it caught on fire quickly as she pulled the flame away from him. As it burned, he grunted a bit as the wounds started to magically mend themselves, with the flame disappearing once they did. He seemed to breath easier as he tested the leg before leaning on Jules to stand up. “What did I tell you about getting worn out before our wedding?

“Sorry,” was all he said. She could tell he meant it so she let it drop. Looking down at his chest he went, “Xypher?”

The pin coughed a couple of time, with dust flying out of his mouth. “I'm still here,” he answered. “But I'm not sure how.”

Looking at the other two Jules went, “How's Paul?”

“Dazed,” Marcus answered, but sounding relieved, “But he's alive.”

“Good,” Jules said as Carter stopped leaning on her and tried walking on his own. “Now I don't have to explain to my future mother-in-law why her husband and offspring didn't come back.” Carter started looking around then looked at her questioningly. Guessing he was wondering about his weapon she went, “He took it too.”

Carter apparently took it better than she thought he would, at least visibly. Just looking down for a moment before looking back up with a determined look. “Can my father be moved?” Before Marcus could answer Paul stood up and started walking away. Or at least that was his plan before he almost fell. Carter was right there to get under his arm and support him, which took the older man by surprise from the look of things. He helped him along as Marcus and Jules walked with them, both concerned the Greystone they were worried the most about was hurting worse than he was letting on. Eventually Carter said, “Mom's going to raise hell.” His father simply grunted and nodded in agreement.

“What do you me they're alive?', Sean demanded as he dropped down to the loft's main floor. Storming over to Lucille, who assumed her usual seat on the floor by the table, “You pretty much dropped a building on them. How can they possibly still be alive?” Lucille kept looking at her cards.

“They still breath, according to the cards,” she told him. “I thought you would have been happy that you'd get to play with the son one more time. You looked like you were enjoying yourself.” Her usual attitude infuriated him, but something about the slight smirk on her face set him off.

“You did it,” he accused her. “You made so that debris wouldn't kill them.” When she kept flipping her cards he grabbed her wrist to get her attention. “Didn't you!”

Now she looked up at him, but he was the one showing a bit of fear. Slowly she stood up and force-ably removed his hand from her by grabbing a finger and bending it back. “And I suggest you do not forget who needs who in this particular partnership. Or should I have left you in that hole in the wall bar so you could drink yourself to death because you lost your shot at Knighthood with no chance at revenge?”

“Sorry my dear,” he said, almost fearfully knowing how much damage she could do with the cards she could summon. “But even before they kicked me out I knew it was never wise to give a Knight another crack at you, even those as good as sonny boy. He's almost as good as me, almost,” he added a cocky grin returning as she finally let him go. He quickly left her alone, instead deciding to mess with his latest trophy. “Still never knew a weapon like this was around.” He tried to pull it apart but couldn't. “Why won't you come apart? It was in two parts before, wasn't Lucille?” He looked back in time to see he nod lazily as she returned to looking at her cards. Getting irritated again he kept trying to pull it apart, “Then how are you suppose to do it then?”

Smiling to herself she softly said, ”You'll get a chance to as ask him again.”

S

scikaiju

The house just come into view as they turned the corner. Beside him Carter saw his father brace himself for what was coming next. It was something he was used to seeing, when he went out with his father Horror hunting when he thought he was ready. His father always did this when he was hurt while doing his duty. Although Carter found himself doing the same remembering some of his mother's reactions depending on how badly he was injured. Having a building fall on both of them? Carter was seriously considering handing him off to Marcus and let him take the full blunt of it. But that would make it worse for Carter in the long run, again personal experience. Besides there was no way Jules would let him do it, and by the look on her face she was waiting for the opportunity to chew him out herself.

“What the Hell happened to you two?!”, his mother demanded as she came rushing out of the house. In one of the rare times for Carter to witness his father winced a bit. And in that moment Catrer did as well. “I'm minding my own business knowing the kids had left for the night, the next thing I know you're gone too. Now look at you, all of you.,” Jules wisely stayed back a bit while Marcus tried to shrink down a bit. After a bit she gave out a frustrated sigh before getting under his father's other arm. “I swear we been together all this time and I still don't know what I'm going to do with you. I don't even want to know what happened.” Marcus started to say something but one look from his Mother stopped whatever he had to say.

Once they got into the house she guided them into the bedroom and directed Carter in helping to get Paul on the bed. Once they did Carter stepped away as she retrieved her Madou Brush and waved it over her other hand. When her palm started glowing she turned it over and slowly passed it over him a couple of times. Only then did she finally relax, “Nothing major outside of some bruises.” Turning toward Carter she asked, “What was he doing out there?”

“The same thing we were,” he answered. “We bumped into each other. I didn't even know he was planning this.”

She blew out a breath, “Oh that sounds like him all right.”: Without a word she turned her attention to Marcus and started examining him as well. “Well you look well enough to explain what was happened.” At this point Carter made his way out of the room, although Jules tried to stop him. “That boy is just like his father, fair warning dear,” Judith said as she started examining her. Dabbing at a small cut on her forehead she went, “How bad was it?”

“Lucille had an ability we weren't ready for,” Jules went. The way Judith was looking at her she knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear. “Parts of a building fell on them.” She looked back at her husband with a shocked look. “I have no idea how either of them walked away from that.”

“In my day we used to call it 'Makai Luck',” Judith told her when she finally stopped messing with the cut. Then she found a bandage to put on it. “There was no other way to explain how the Knights walked away from some of the situations they found themselves in. Carter doesn't look that worse for ware though.”

“I gotten into the habit of carrying some Reverter with me since we gotten engaged,” she explained, Judith nodded in approval. Then she did the spell on her palm and studied her,“Well Marcus looks to be in the best shape out of all of you. He can help me around the house tomorrow Now let's see about that son of mine. Be a dear and help me hold him down. He resists this more than his father ever did.”

“Of course,” Jules quickly agreed and followed her out. The both stopped when they spotted Carter slumped in a chair unconscious. “Carter,” Jules cried out and rushed to him.

“Shh,” Xypher went. “He just nodded off. He was exhausted. He had to be to listen when I suggested that he might want to sit for a bit.”

“He didn't even argue? Not even a little?”, Now Jules was getting worried. So was his mother since she was right there making her palm glow again and waved it over him. Watching her Jules asked, “Can I ask you to teach me that one of these days? I get the feeling I'm going to need it sooner rather than later.”

With a bit of a smirk on lips she said. “No offence honey but I was going to show it to you if you wanted to know it or not.” After a bit she pulled her hand away. “Looks like the pin was right. I'm not detecting anything seriously wrong with him. A night's rest and he should be as good as new.” Backing away she placed her brush in a pocket. “Let's let him sleep her for now, I hate to wake him ust to get him into a bed. Normally I'd offer you one of the spares rooms to sleep in Jules. But if you're anything like me you probably don't want to leave his side until he wakes up. But I will say that couch can be rather comfortable. At least that's what Paul has told me on occasion.” Jules s\gave her a small smile for her joke. “There's a couiple of spare blankets in that closest over there.”

Looking over at the door she was pointing at Jules went over and retrieved two of those blankets. Putting one on the couch she started opening the other to put over Carter. Judith helped her arrange it a bit, even pointing out a smaller pillow that they placed behind his head. “It doesn't get any easier does it?”, Jules asked. “Seeing them like this.”

“No it doesn't,” she said standing close to her. “Honestly if somebody said it did I'd question how much they actually cared to begin with. I mean how can you love someone and not be concerned when they come back in this sort of shape. We both better get some rest dear. Both of them are going to be stubborn enough to do this all over again tomorrow night.”

“Oh I believe it,” she said looking at her soon to be husband. “Night Judith.

“Good night dear,” she said as she went to her husband. Who unsurprisingly was sitting on the edge of the bed.She told him, “Lay down.” Paul looked up at her than waved her off with a hand. So a little more forcibly she repeated, “Lay down.”

“I'm fine Judith,” he told her. He started to get up so she pushed him right back down. “There's nothing wrong with me.”, he said a little too loudly.

Not looking impressed Judith fought to keep her voice from rising as well, “The side of a building fell on you. I'll decide if you're fine or not. And don't raise your voice Carter's in the next room passed out. And his fiance is still up.”

Upon hearing the current state of his son Paul looked at the door with some concern, “Is he all right? He didn't look like anything was wrong when we were heading home.”

“He's just worn out,” she explained. “And even if anything was wrong, well he has your stubbornness there.” He seemed to relax at that but she had to know one thing one way or another. “So why are you treating him like you have been?”

“He's a grown man,” Paul told her. “He needs to stand on his own two feet without any interference from me.”

Sitting next to her husband she said, “Like your father did with you? Do I have to remind you how that affected you after we were married?” He looked away from her. “He's hitting a pretty big milestone soon. Carter could probably use an experienced ear right about now, or some advice if asked.”

Still not looking at her he mumbled, “He has that person to go to.”

Judith looked at him in disbelief, “So this is about him accepting the Rook mantle and not following you.”

“No it's not,” he said defiantly. “I pushed him to take it, why would I have an issue with something I had to talk him into to begin with?”

“Well that's what Carter thinks according to Jules,” she shot at him. “And if it's not that how long are you going to let him keep thinking that and not tell him the real reason, whatever it is.” Instead of responding, Paul laid back down and stared at the ceiling. Realizing pushing him on the subject would just cause an argument, and that would wake up their son who needed the rest at the moment, so she got up to ready herself for bed. But as soon as Carter was awake she was going to revisit this one way or another.

S

scikaiju

In a hallway made of tarot cards a woman ran for all she was worth. It was suppose to be a simple pay off. Get a little freaky with the guy who picked her up on the street and his quiet girlfriend. Not a big deal, it was something she'd done before, hell she enjoyed it. But getting, drugged her rattled mind finally settled on, drugged she had to have been drugged, This was not part of the deal. So focused she almost ran into the man who picked her up. She should have remembered what the old lady tried to teach her. The pretty ones are generally more trouble than they're worth.

“That was quite the chase you took me on,” he said with the charming smile that caught her attention to begin with. But his eyes were something different, predatory, almost hungry. The sight of them made her back up. She was so focused on him that she almost didn't see the tarot card floating in the air, the one coming toward her at high speed and slit her throat.

“Lucille!”, Sean called out after the woman dropped to the ground.”I found her first. Those are the rules. She was mine.” The cards faded away and he immediately regretted his tone. “You never took one like that before,” he started to say, trying to explain his outburst. He stopped as he watched Lucille walk toward the body and kneel down. She made eye contact with him and held it for a second before leaning over the fallen woman and consumed her.

“You play too much,” she said while using her thumb to wipe the corner of her mouth/ Raising to her feet she added, “It might be why you find some of them stringy.”

“Yes my dear,” he quickly said as she walked past him. “You are quite right. There is a fine line between properly flavoring them and overdoing it after all. So are we going to look for more tonight?”, he asked mainly because he was still hungry after taking on Sonny boy and the clan with him.

“Too dangerous,” Lucille told him. “We come across two different Makai Knights in the same week.”

“So you think word about us is going to spread .” She confirmed this thought with a simple nod as she went back to her cards. “We left them alive,” he told her. “They're probably sounding the bells as we speak.”

“No,” Lucille informed him. “They are telling no one at the moment. The son still thinks he can handle the situation.

“Without access to his weapon or armor,” Sean scoffed. “Daddy did make him an idiot didn't he?” Lucille said nothing, she just kept reading the cards in front of her.

Wondering why there a huge pain in his neck as he came to, it took Carter a moment to realize why. He fell asleep in a chair. One he barely remembered sitting in the previous night, although he vaguely recalled Xypher suggesting the idea. Things we a bit of a blur after they got his father home. Discovering the pillow under his head he looked down at the blanket covering him, one he recalled his mother saying her mother made when she was a child. A quick glance around the living room he spotted Jules sleeping on the couch close to the chair. Or at least he thought she was sleeping at first because he saw her looking at him. “That was more of a nap than a proper night sleep,” she told him.

“I'm fine,” he told her more or less automatically. But he did feel fine, well rested even. So much he started to get up.

“Sit back down,” she told him. When he didn't automatically complyshe added, “Or I'll get your mom.” They just sort of stared at each other for a moment. Then Carter sat back in the chair leaving her looking a little stunned. “Wow, that actually worked.” Sitting up herself she looked him over.

“How's my father?”, he asked after a few moments,

“He's going to be fine,” she told him, “according Judith.” That eased his mind considerably, knowing he was all right after what happened. Jules spoke up, getting his attention, “Tell me the truth Carter, why didn't you tell me about Mason?”

He didn't respond right away, but Jules just kept looking at him, waiting. Finally he told her, “Because I was embarrassed by the whole situation. You'be seen where I grew up,” he gestured around the room, “we didn't have a man servant waiting on us. I don't even consider Mason to be a servant, just somebody Lowell badgered me into agreeing to let come in every so often.”

“Carter, he's assigned to serve whomever holding the Rook mantle,” she told him, although he was aware of that fact he said nothing. “He's just doing his job, like you and I are. It's nothing to be embarrassed about.”

“To me there is,” he said softly. “Around here we had to be as self sufficient as possible. The Watchdogs even offered me a mansion to live in, just because I was now a titled Knight. I lived in one while training to take over being Rook. I was never so uncomfortable in my life.” Jules suddenly snorted and he shot a look at her.

“Sorry,” she said. “I just got the image of you living the high life. It did not suit you at all.”

But she did look satisfied with his answer. Good thing too since it was the truth. Still it had him wondering about the timing of it all. “Why ask me that now? There was plenty of time before we ran into Sean and Lucille.”

“Because of Lucille,” she told him, although she looked embarrassed to admit it “She tried to convince me that you'd do me like the Knight she was with did her.” He opened his mouth to defend himself at least but she talked over him. “I know you're not whomever that bastard was. If he's even still alive, I'd be surprised if he still was. But she knew that I found out you kept something from me. I hate to admit it but it put a thought in my head. And I hate myself for letting fester for even this long.”

“Don't,” Carter told her. “In all honesty I should have mention Mason before now. But who knows what else she'll try and use against us.” Looking at the pin on his chest he went, “Xypher, Do you know anything about the Makai Guides and what they can do?”

“Just what Jules told you,” he answered. “They were pretty much out of the picture when I was created. And none of the others I've partnered with were all that curious about them. Until today I was under the impression that they died out, like Jules was.”

“I bet Vincent had some information on them,” Jules mused. Then she started shaking her head, “But they confiscated every thing he had after he tried to expose what we do. Maybe one of the books I own has the information we need, but they're back at your place.”

“Our place,” Carter corrected her.

“Not just yet,” she told him, although she did have a bit of a smile on her lips. “In a few days it'll be 'ours' but right now it's yours.”

“Not to me it isn't,” he said. “You were home every time you were there even before we decided to make it official.”

“Am I the only one wondering when Carter became this sentimental,” Xypher quipped. The only answer he got was a quick flick from Carter. “Ow. Come on Jules back me up here.”

“I'm still working on when we started completing each other's sentences,” Jules told Xypher. When Carter looked at her she went, “You had to have noticed us doing that.”

Technically he did, but he never really thought about it. “We better go back to sleep before we disturb my parents.” Putting the cover back over himself Carter tried to position himself so the pain in the neck he first felt wouldn't return. Although he felt Jules staring at him before lying back down herself.

S

scikaiju

Paul woke up before his wife, just like he hoped. Because he knew Judith well enough to know that she would have picked up right where she left off the night before. And he wasn't sure if he had the words to properly explain why he was acting this way. Slowly, and carefully since he was still feeling the effects of the previous night events, he got out of bed and got dressed in some fresh clothes and left the bedroom. There was going to be a war on multiple fronts coming up and he wanted to be ready for it, mentally at least. Leaving the bedroom he soon found his son sleeping in a chair and his fiance on the couch. Walking up to Carter he watched him for a bit before reaching out and gently rubbing the top of his head like he used to do when the boy was younger. Lowering his head a bit he left the house.

He didn't see Marcus at first, figuring he was taking the morning to heal up a bit himself. Then he looked up and saw him in the practice yard where he and Carter were sparing yesterday. That sight brought back memories from when his son was learning under him, memories that were almost too painful given their current situation. Feeling like they were going to over run him again he started down the path to clear his head. But one of those memories wouldn't be denied as he reached a certain spot. One that always came to him when he reached it. Slowing to a stop he just stood there as his mind went back.

It was almost fifteen years ago and he was coming in the opposite direction, coming back from a meeting with the Watchdogs. He only hurried his pace when he noticed a group of boys tussling in the middle of the road. With one in particular shouting at the pile, “Admit it you cheater!” Paul pace turned into a run as he got closer, pushing the boy aside. Grabbing anyone by the shirt that he could he started pulling them back one by one. Like he thought Carter, definitely beaten and battered, was at the bottom of the pile, doing his best to fight off who was left. Even going so far as to try and lunge at the others until he held them back.

He looked at all of them, his son included, and demanded, “What is going on?”

The boy who stayed back pointed at Carter and said, “He jumped us.”

Taking a look at the group and his son again he addressed the boy, “So all of you just happened to be walking the path that leads to our house and Carter jumped the lot of you by himself?” The other boys looked nervously at each other realizing he wasn't buying the lie being told to him. Even the boy looked surprised that he wasn't buying it. So with a little more authority in his voice he asked, “Then why were you standing back calling somebody a cheater?”

“Because he is!”, he proclaimed as he pointed at Carter. That caused him to try for the boy again making Paul to push him back.

“I didn't cheat,” Carter defiantly said. “You're just mad you lost.”

“You cheated,” the boy repeated. “I'm the best swordsman in the camp. I can't lose.” Now things were making a little more sense to Paul. There was a tournament at the training village before everyone was dismissed to go home today and Carter was one of the participants.

Realizing who the boy was now Paul went, “Wasn't your father the judge for today's tournament?” With a deer caught in headlights look the boy stared at him, realizing he was caught. “He's a good swordsman in his own right, he teaches the lot of you if I recall correctly. What did he say about this supposed cheating?” The boy started looking angry telling Paul all he needed to know, he didn't believe the cheating claim either. “There's nothing wrong with losing to a better opponent. That's just life. I'll be talking to your father later, about this and how you decided to handle your disappointment,” he looked at the rest of the group for the proper effect.

With one last angry, “Cheater!”, he ran off with his lackeys soon following him.

Only then did he kneel down to get a better look at the damage his son took from the confrontation. He was bleeding from the nose and it looked like maybe from a cut on his temple. Getting a cloth from a pocket he started cleaning him up the best that he could to get a better look at the damage done. “I hate him,” Carter mumbled.

“Now Carter,” he said in a steady tone. “Thoughts like that is how darkness gets in your heart and leaves you vulnerable to Horrors”. Carter winced a bit as the cloth came into contact with his nose.

“He's always talking about how good he is,” he went on. “That nobody else was good enough to beat him 'cause his dad had a title.”

“I heard he was one of those,” he mumbled as he started in on the cut on his temple. Getting a better look at the damage he added, “They might have stopped if you just said what they wanted you say.”

“No,” Carter said looking stunned his father would even suggest that. “That would mean I quit. Makai Knights don't quit, ever.”

“You don't say,” he pretended to look thoughtful at this. The boy learned this lesson a little too well it seems. “I suppose your right, we are a little too dumb for our own good.” Satisfied that nothing was broken he stood to his full height. “Now normally I'd chastise you for fighting with other children. But this time I'll let it go because you were just defending yourself. Let's get you cleaned up before your mother notices,” he said rubbing the top oh his head, as Carter looked up at him and beamed.. He handed him the cloth to keep under his nose as they headed toward the house and Carter excitedly told him the details of the tournament. And from the description his boy didn't cheat.

“Shouldn't you be resting?”, Carter voice pulled him out of the memory. Paul looked back to see him getting closer.Although Paul could swear he was favoring his side a bit. Judith gave him a clean bill of health so he was probably imaging it.

“I could ask you the same question?”, he said turning back around to look down the path He heard Carter come to a stop a few feet behind him and stay there.

“If you're going to finally take down that old rope swing,” that made him turn back around to face Carter, “it's a little further down.” With that Carter finally took a couple of steps forward. “Although I am surprised you never cut it down to begin with.”

He grunted and said, “I figured if I did you just put it deeper in the woods. And it was far enough away from the house I thought it wouldn't be a distraction.” And with that he turned back around. Although he would never admit it he never thought once about cutting it down.

“What did I do?”, Carter asked suddenly. Reluctantly Paul faced his son. “What did I do to cause this rift between us?” His hand went to the slim golden pin on his right, “Is it this? I didn't even want this to begin with. If this is it I'll get rid of it,” Carter ripped the pin off his jacket and went to hurl it into the woods.

Paul got a grip on his wrist to stop him. “It was was my idea!” The confusion on Carter's face made him repeat it, “It was my idea. I visited Lowell a few weeks before you officially took on the title.” he finally let go of his wrist and his son kept looking at him. “We were both worried about how the rest of the Order would react to you taking on another's Knight mantle. I told him to take you in as one of his own.”

“It was your idea?”, he said, still in disbelief. “Then why are you acting...?”

“Because you didn't want it,” he blurted out. “You never really understood how good you actually are. I wanted you to be better than me in every aspect. But you never took that step, even fighting when they offered you the promotion ”

“I can't be better than you,” Carter said. Which caused Paul to walk away in frustration. Then he added, “I couldn't be better than you because in my mind you were the best, titled or not.” Paul looked at his son, this time it was his turn to be stunned. “I trained as hard as I did because I was trying to be as good as you were, better wasn't an option to me.” Cautiously Carter stepped closer to him. “All I ever wanted was for you to be proud of me.”

“I am proud of you Carter. I never been so proud of anybody in my life.”

“Then why act the way you been acting ever since I took on the title?”, he asked.

He looked away, feeling ashamed over the situation. “Because I thought you didn't need me in your life anymore. I would just hold you back from reaching you true potential.”

“You're my father,” Carter told him, “Of course I'm going to want you In my life. Even if you said you're didn't know why they sent for me.”

And there was no way he could ignore the hurt in his son's voice with that last statement. As stoic as Carter was acting Paul knew he hurt him deeply when he said that. “Because it was going to be embarrassing enough for another Knight to learn I lost my sword and armor,” he told him truthfully, “and the idea it was going to be you made it too much to bear.” And before Carter could respond he went on, “And look what happened, the same thing happened to you. What kind of father does that make me?”

Stepping even closer Carter said. “Just means were related.” Paul knew still knew his son well enough to know he was trying not to grin,

He knew the feeling, because Paul was having a hard time himself, “Then you have my apologies.” before either of them realized it they hugged each other. Pulling back a bit, wishing at least Judith was here to witness this moment, Paul went, “So I guess we should be waiting for another Makai Knight to show up to lend a hand.”

S

scikaiju

Carter looked down at the Madou pin on his chest, “You send in that report yet Xypher?”

“No,” he replied, “just like you asked.

Feeling confused himself Paul looked at Carter, who simply said. “The assignment's not over yet. And you taught me Makai Knights don't quit.”

With the memory fresh in his mind Paul pretended to look thoughtful again, “I suppose so. Then we better get you properly prepared for the next time. Maybe find out exactly what a Makai Guide can do before she surprises you again. One more thing...”

“Don't tell mom?, Carter offered, not hiding the smile this time. Paul grinned himself as he reached up and tossled his hair before both of them headed back to the house.

Back at the house Jules and Judith were already on that task going over the limited library the elder Greystones had. Judith was at least, seeing how she had been studying the whole Makai Guide concept since Marcus told her and Paul about it. Jules was trying to figure out exactly what kind of Horrors they were dealing with. Still looking through one particular tome she blew out a breath, “Never thought I say it, but I wish my old mentor was here.”

“It was Vincent wasn't it?”, Judith asked as look up from her book. The idea that she knew that made Jules freeze a bit. “I should have told you sooner dear but I did bit more than a little checking on you once I found out you were engaged to my son. I actively sought out people who knew you an asked what they knew about you.”

“Hopefully it was mainly good things,” Jules said trying not to sound nervous. If she knew what Vincent tried to do then she might look at her differently.

“I would say mainly excellent things Jules,” she told. “Things like how you helped Carter stopped your mentor from exposing our world. That had to be hard.”

Cautiously she went, “It was, mainly trying to figure out how the man I knew could be capable of doing what he did.” Seemingly sensing her nervousness Judith put small smile on her face and indicated that she should take the seat next to her. Reluctantly Jules did so, hoping this wasn't her way of attacking her.

“Relax dear,” Judith said. “I realize you're not him.” Jules wanted to relax upon hearing that but still left her guard up. “If I had a problem with you, you'd know it. Honestly I don't think I could have done it, fight my own mentor that is. I didn't look for details but I did get you knew him most of your life. I think about who trained me and what would happen if she went rogue. Like I said I don't think I could have done it.”

“Thinking about some of the things he did helped,” Jules told. And she was very grateful her soon to be mother-in-law didn't press for details. Still it didn't mean images of some of the things he had done didn't pop up in her head. So she asked, “Did you find anything?”

Judith rubbed her arm in understanding, “I haven't found anything that indicates that a Makai Guide could do what you guys described. I'm assuming the Horror amplified her abilities somehow or adapted them to it's use. How's your search going?”

Going back to her book she pointed out a particular passage, “This come the closest so far at least as far as Lucille is concerned.”

Leaning in to get a better look Judith read a name listed, “Helvax. That's just one name dear what about the big one?”

“About that, she said as she reread the passage, “I don't think he's an actual Horror. According to this Helvax, once attached to a woman in grief it will then search out another like minded vessel to be her partner.”

Judith brow furrowed in confusion, “So basically this one Horror can possess two people at once?”

“If I'm reading this right,” Jules told her, “the other one is basically the muscle of the duo. Essentially an intelligent puppet.”

“Either way what was ever left of this Sean character is what you've been seeing,” Judith mumbled as she took the book from Jules. Reading the passage for herself she went, “I still don't believe it.” To Jules she added, “Just when you think you read or heard it all where Horrors are concerned.”

“I know right,” Jules went. Then she felt the sphere activate in her pocket. “Will you excuse me for a moment?” Judith told her to go right ahead and Jules went into the next room. Making sure Judith couldn't over hear her she pulled it out and said, “What is it K-Byte?”

“It might not be much,” the Hacker told her, But I was able to get a visual on the Horrors you were fighting last night.” Again looking back to make sure Judith couldn't over hear things she urged him to continue. “Doing my usual techno wizardry I was able to track them to a particular location. About a few blocks from where you guys fought them.”

Jules stood a little straighter hearing this. Now she had a choice to make, get the information now or wait until Carter got back from wherever he was at the moment. Realizing lives were at stake she told the hacker, “Give me the location.” he did so and she looked up to see Judith standing right there.

“Okay, that's something I wouldn't have the nerve to do,” she told her.

“I'm just going to scout out the location,” she told Judith. And that was her actual plan, so no lie was needed. “See if they're actually still there or if there's any other Horrors in the area before I bring Carter in. There's no point if we head down there and they're already went somewhere else.”

“You kids and your modern ways,” Judith said shaking her head. “An informant and everything. I know some Knights, Paul included, who would have loved something like that.” Jules wasn't sure how to explain the situation with the hacker, luckily she didn't need to. “Carter hasn't mentioned this either so I assume it's not something the rest of us is supposed to know about. Fair enough, anything that helps my boy and future daughter-in-law is all right in my book. But at least take Marcus with you, I rather not tell Carter I let you go off by yourself.”

“I'll get him,” Jules told her. Neither was sure what to do next so Judith gave her a quick hug.

“Be careful honey,” she said.

“I will,” Jules told her. “I'll be back as soon as I can.” with that she set off to find Marcus then head to that location. Hopefully this wasn't a mistake on her part but they had to know before the Horrors fed on somebody else.

S

scikaiju

The building looked normal enough from the outside. To be honest it looked like a bit of a dump nobody's lived in for a while. Standing close to a walll so she couldn't be easily seen by anyone passing by, still Marcus did his best to stand in front of her and block her from view, and her view in the process. She didn't need to see the building in order to do this. Holding a simple disk in her hand she quickly activated her brush and waved it over the disk quickly. Various symbols hovered in the air over the disk, looking a bit like a radar of some sort. Which it basically was.

“I got something,” she said. Marcus looked back to see as well. There were exactly two massive dots that seemed to hover above the rest of of the symbols. “That has to be them. I'm not detecting anything else in there.”

“So what do we do now?”, Marcus asked.

Before she could answer a hand clamped down on her shoulder that made her jump. She looked back and saw Carter was the owner of said hand. And he was not looking pleased at that moment. “Carter,” she said trying to sound normal, “What are you doing here?” He answered by holding up his sphere, “K-Byte, right. I should have guessed he'd contact you you too.”

Behind him his father commented, “This was why I never had a partner. More trouble than they're worth.”

“It can have it's advantages,” Carter informed him. And Jules was happy he was at least defending what they do. “Although communication needs to be worked on occasionally.”

“I was just scouting it out,” She told him.

“That's what mom said,” Carter told her. He looked past her and Marcus to the buiulding that brought them here. “What did you find out?”

“They're in there,” she told him, “and there's no other Horror that I can detect,” she held up the disk for empahsis before pocketing it.

“I still don't know what the next step was going to be,” Marcus spoke up.

“I was going to get Carter,” Jules told him. Carter just looked at her, “I was going to get you. At least call you. Now that you're here what do you think? It won't be dark for hours. It could be our chance to catch them by surprise if they're getting ready for tonight.”

“Yes it would,” Carter agreed while looking at the building. “Come on let's check something out first,” he told Jules. The rushed over to the building with Paul and Marcus right behind them. Ignoring the main entrance they looked around the building until she spotted a side entrance in a alley. Marcus went to go in but both Carter and Paul stopped him. Carter looked at Jules and she knew he wanted her to check the door first. Getting out her brush she did a quick examination of the door.

“”There it is,” she said. With a quick couple of waves with her Brush a Black piece of paper with blue symbols appeared. “She might be a Horror now but Lucille apparently still has some tricks in her bag.”

“What is it?”, Marcus asked. “Some sort of barrier?”

Paul spoke up, “It's a booby trap.” Jules nodded in agreement as she worked out the best way to get around it “All the doors are probably set up like this.”

“I told you there were some advantages,” Carter told his father. “Can you get around it Jules?”

“Eventually,” she told him. “But it's going to take some time.”

Looking up at the brightly lit sky Carter commented, “Right now we got plenty of it. Xypher, is it blocking you sensing anything inside?”

“No,” the pin answered. “Jules was right, those two are the only ones in there. We got lucky there.” Carter and his father made a similar grunt.

“You three get get comfortable and stand watch,” Jules told them. “I'll get started on this.”

“A little bossy isn't she?”, Paul commented.

Xypher told him, “You got no idea.” Which earned him a quick flick from Carter.

“Thank you,” Jules told him as she studied the seal on the door. This one was going to be a little tricky.

From an upper window Sean looked down into that very alley. “They are down there,”he said sounding a bit amazed. Turning back to Lucille he went, “How did they find this place? They didn't follow us last night.”

Studying her cards intently she said, “They had help. But who it was is being protected by a strong seal of some kind. But this person has many eyrs?”, this was the first time her own reading confused her. “I can't find this person's location.”

“One of them probably knows it,” Sean offered. “Can you get it from there.”

“No,” she told him after flipping over a few more cards. “The ones who know are making sure to shield what they know about this many eyed individual.” The frustration she was feeling was evident in her voice.

“So should we head down there then?” Sean asked as he stepped away from the window. “Granted their uninvited guest but we should still be proper hosts and all.”

“No,” she responded sounding board. “The Priest will try to disable the spell. Let her tire herself out first and let them come to us.”

“And show them the play room,” Sean said with a grin. “I do love showing it off, it's so exciting.”

S

scikaiju

The sun was already descending in the sky when Jules finally got the black seal off the door without it going off. Carter held his father and Marcus back as Jules checked the door one more time before opening it. Carter was right behind her as she went in with her brush ready to defend against any attack. When none came Carter waved his father and Marcus in quickly then let the door close behind them. Jules pointed out the stairway before she went toward it and did a quick check for any more traps before the group headed up.

Carter kept looking around for any sign of danger. He didn't want to admit it out loud but not having his sword, and therefore his armor, was making him feel a little naked at that particular moment. Not to mention a little more cautious. He only felt a little better when he caught his father doing the same thing.Marcus on the other hand looked like the proverbial cat in a room full of rocking chairs. “Relax,” Carter told him.

Marcus looked at him as they hit another floor before continuing up. “Because the Horrors can sense the fear?”

That depends on the Horror,” Carter told. “With these two it's likely.”

“But mainly,” Jules cut in, “it looks like you're about to sprain something you're wound so tight.” Carter didn't say anything, mainly because she was right.

Then his father spoke up. “You're not much one to talk son. The first time I took you out hunting I was surprised you could still move you were so scared.”

Both Jules and Marcus both chuckled ast that statement. Particularly her. He was even positive he heard Xypher snicker a bit. Carter realized why his dad said it, to get Marcus to relax a bit. Still didn't mean it wasn't annoying, “I was eleven.”

“You were the one who insisted that you were brave enough to hunt with me,” his father added.

Now past the nerves, apparently, Marcus asked him. “Have you ever been in a Horror's den before?”

Looking at the flight of stairs they still had to go Carter answered with, “Yes, but not one at this type of power level. How about you Dad?”

Paul looked surprised, like he just realized he had been calling him dad instead of father. A small smile formed on his face that quickly went away, “No, this is a first for me.”

Jules held up a hand to stop them as she reactivated the mystical radar in the palm of her hand. ”They're a floor above us. So stay behind me and Carter when we bust in.”

“Told ya you had no idea how bossy she could be,” Xypher spoke up. Jules quickly turned around and flicked him herself before resuming his course. “Hey!”, he protested, “It's bad enough when he does that to me. Please don't start flicking me too Jules.”

“Then don't say anything that'll make me flick you,” she told te pin. “We're almost there,” she informed the group who slowed down when she did. She pointed at a particular door that they headed for. One more quick check she opened it to a hallway with several other doors. Checking the disk on last time she announced, “They're on this floor.”

“Xypher,” Carter began.

“I'm sensing them,” he said. Carter slowly entered the hall, feeling the darkness just hanging in the air. Judging by his father's reaction so was he. They past a few doors until the pin called out. “On your left.” Carter immediately looked over there to see a lone door. One look at Jules was all she needed to do a check on that particular door, even going over it twice before nodding at him. She backed up a bit as he came forward and kicked the door in and rushed into the room with the rest of them on his heels.

“Seriously doesn't anyone knock any more?”, they looked up to see Sean and Lucille on an upper floor looking down at them. Carter quickly located the stairs but one of those giant Tarot cards appeared on the steps blocking his path. Then one covered the door they just came through, as much as Marcus pounded on it the card wouldn't move. They were trapped. “Well since you're here we might as well be gracious hosts, as tedious as that thought is. Lucille, would you please show them the playroom.”

“Of course,” she said as she wave her hand.

Behind them the card blocking the door seemed to multiply and cover the room other wall, floor and ceiling. The size of the room even seemed to grow from their perspective. The four of them quickly closed ranks and stood back to back. Jules, Paul and Marcus had their brush and swords at the ready respectively while Carter kept his eyes on Sean who jumped down, a sword in his hand as well. As Lucille slowly hovered down to their level Sean said, “What do you think? A little more interesting looking than the usual human .playroom, at least I think so any way. I just know it makes Lucille happy.”

“And if we're not in the mood to play?”, Jules demanded.

“It's so adorable how they think they have a say in the matter,” Sean said Lucille.

“The son looks annoyed,” she said, which caused all eyes to set on him.

“He does, doesn't he?”, Sean muttered to himself. “I know, do you think I should show him my collection? Just this once.” He was on the borderline of begging with this request. Lucille gave him a lazy looking nod as an answer. Grinning ear to ear Sean wave his arms around in a grand fashion. Various swords started to hang in the air, slowly spinning around in circles. Carter subconsciously counted about twenty before he forced his attention on the Horrors in front of him.

“What do you think?”, he asked, almost giddy. “My little trophies from the Knights I've bested. Most from before Lucille and I joined forces.” Carter's eyes darted back and forth between him and the swords. What did that mean, before they joined forces? Almost like he was reading his mind, his grin only got bigger. “Shall I explain what I mean?”, Sean asked innocently enough. “Of course I should, you wouldn't fully comprehend on you own anyway. You see after I was forced out I decided to prove to the rest of them that I was the best. So I tracked down those I could and proved my point by taking the one thing that had more value than their very life. Their sword and armor. I did sometimes wondered if the ones I bested were still alive at this time. But that feeling passed quickly enough.

Carter walked toward one of the swords in the air and swung an arm out. His hand passed right through it. “An illusion,” Carter stated looking right at Sean and Lucille. “Others would have noticed this many Knights losing their weapons before now. How many of these are actually real?

“That's for us to know sonny boy, Sean told him. “Think you're smart I see, yet you fell right into here with no extra incentive from us.” Suddenly more of those Tarot cards appeared between him and the others, effectively cutting him off from them.

“Carter!,” Jules and his father both screamed as they pounded on the card. Before long she started blasting at it with her brush as he and Marcus began trying to chop at it with their swords.

“What's you're game?!”, Carter demanded.

“Normally the game would consist you running a maze, survive without either me or Lucille finding you first then you'd live. If either of us found you first then well you'd be dinner,” Sean told him, as easily as someone discussing the weather. “But Lucille said you'd be too good at it and we couldn't have that so I came up with a new one, with the lovely lady approval of course.”

“Flattery,” Lucille said, almost sounding disgusted. With another wave of her hand the room seemed to shrink down a bit into a lone hallway that seemed to extend until infinity. The swords real and fake still spun in the air as Sean stood on the other end, between them was his double bladed staff hanging like the rest of them. Just close enough that Carter could go on the attack as soon as he grabbed it. Sean's grin grew bigger in anticipation of the game starting.

S

scikaiju

“The game is simple,” Sean told him. “Just grab your weapon.”

Suspicious Carter went, “It can't be that simple.”

“Of course it's not, my dear as you suggested,” with another flourish of her hand Tarot cards started flashing back an forth around the weapon. “I assure you the edges are quite sharp,” Sean continued. “I would imagine that they would take a limb right off in one go. We have to keep it interesting after all.”

“Only to you,” Lucille muttered.

“Now let's not have a disagreement in front of the uninvited guest,” Sean said turning to her. “They didn't come all this way to see us squabble before they die.” Feeling the others behind him just staring Carter just eyed the cards as they passed by. He wasn't detecting a pattern, at least not one he recognized immediately. And he wouldn't put it past them to change it up or make it go faster if he did try for it.

Then some else caught his eye in the floating fields of swords. And suddenly a new plan came to him. So far Sean, and more importantly Lucille, didn't notice it so far. Not taking the chance that she would Carter started running down the hall. Sean''s grin got bigger, almost salivating over the idea of him getting sliced to ribbons. And if he didn't time this right he still might. Increasing his pace he jumped forward once he was close enough.. But he didn't try for his double bladed staff as he sailed over it. He kept his arms close as he started curling his body mid way, barely avoiding those cards, so he landed in a roll to his feet and continued forward. Caught off guard both of them didn't react as he reached into the field of sword while still looking right at them. His right hand wrapped itself around a familiar handle of his family's sword and pulled. In the same motion he whipped the sword around cutting Sean in the chest.

“Sean!”, Lucille cried out as he stumbled back clutching his chest. Most of the swords faded away, leaving five, including the double bladed staff behind him and the one in his hand. Swinging it around easily Carter stood straight with the tip of the blade pointed at the floor. Jules and the others quickly went forward as the cards blocking them faded away while Lucille was stunned. Sean produced a blade of his own as he took the hand away from his chest to study the blood there for a moment.

“A lucky shot with a broken sword,” he sneered.

“I grew up around this sword,” Carter told him as he started swinging it around again easily enough. “I know how to use it properly.” To prove this Carter easily intercepted Sean's blade as it came at him and deflected it away. Then going on the attack keeping Sean on the defense until he made enough space between them to rethink his strategy.

While that was going on Jules studied the still flashing tarot cards that were whizzing by the double bladed staff. Carter was still holding his own but this was still in their way, and Jules wasn't sure at that particular moment if Carter could summon another armor, even if it was his family's armor, if Lucille decided to get involved. She should have paid more attention when Vincent explained how the soul metal worked. Neither she or Reks even thought to ask if she remembered correctly. If it wasn't magic related neither of them really cared. And now didn't seem like a good time to find out.

“Marcus,” she said, “Give me a hand, Paul get ready.” He didn't argue, much to her surprise, and nodded as they followed her. Wrapping a hand around her brush the bristles started to glow.once close enough she studied the movement of the cards. She pretty much did the same when Carter was preparing to make his move, so far she couldn't detect a difference in their movement. Waiting few more moments she ignored the duel betwen Carter and Sean on the other side, and the fact that Lucille was now looking in their direction. She couldn't worry about that now. “Marcus now!”, she ordered and thet placed their respective weapons into the flashing cards, blocking their path and creating an opening. “Paul,” she called out, he didn't hesitate as he reached in and grabbed the staff and pulled it out into the open.

Once free the cards disappeared from view. Not trusting her eyes Jules put her brush where the cards were and didn't feel any resistance. The Horror was apparently telling the truth, that had to be a first as far as she was aware of.. “Come on,” she told them and they rushed forward toward the battle still happening.

Unaware of what was currently happening with the others Carter kept up his duel with Sean. And he had to admit the guy was probably good before the horror, or whatever it was his mother wasn't exactly clear about Jules research on the matter, got him. But there were hiccups in what he was doing, so much so that he was able to snap off a quick reverse round house kick to knock him back. Carter pauses as he heard something fly past behind him. Risking a look he saw Lucille stand a little too close staring at a metal spike now embedded in the wall between them. He looked over to see Jules pull out another slip of grey paper out with his father holding the double bladed staff and Marcus right behind her. Seeing an opening he kicked Lucille back before swinging the sword at Sean, who easily blocked it.

Sean started swinging a little wilder now, frustration getting the better of him. So much so Carter was having a hard time keeping up with the new attack. Behind him Lucille ran right for Jules who rushed in to meet her. In it all he heard his father shout, “Carter!” He looked back just long enough to see him toss the staff in the air. Getting some space between him and Sean he threw the sword he was using in the air as well. Both weapons passed each other as Carter caught his weapon with one hand and quickly brought into play as Paul caught his sword and held it at the ready. With practice ease Carter used both blades to deflect Sean's attack.

Lucille attacked Jules with a viciousness that wasn't there in their earlier encounter. So much so Jules was finding herself being forced back. Suddenly Lucille retreated back several steps holding a reddish grey slip of paper in her fingers. Jules recognized it almost immediately, “No.” With a smirk Lucille threw the paper down to the ground. The energy wave it released quickly over comed all four humans. Jules did her best to fight the effects the wave caused. It would use their worst fears against them. She kept telling herself that whatever she was going to see wasn't going to be real. It was all an illusion created and magnified by the spell.

“Look at what happened to you,” a new voice told her. She quickly located the source and found Vincent looking at her, disappointment etched on his face. “This is my legacy now. I should have killed you instead of Reks. I never should have taken you in to begin with, I just felt sorry for the unfortunate woman who gave birth to you.”

“You're not real,” she strained to get out.

Carter wasn't sure what just happened exactly. He was fighting Sean now there was nothing.What the hell was going on. Still he was ready for the next attack. At least that was what he thought. Then “What a disappointment of a son you turned out to be.”

“Dad?”, he went recognizing the voice. He turned to him and saw how disgusted he looked.

“Tell me about it,” Jules said as she walked by with her arms crossed. “I realized too late that I choose the wrong one.” She closed her eyes and leaned her head a bit as a hand lightly caressed her cheek. The owner of the hand came into view.

Reks looked at him with a smug smirk, “You lost any way Knight. Her heart was mine all along.”

“Not real!”,a voice sounding like Jules came through the void.

“Carter listen to me,” Xypher spoke up. “I'm seeing what you're seeing and this isn't real! You know exactly how Jules feels about you. Remember at the club when you ran back because you thought you left her in danger? Think about that moment and hold on to it.”

He tried to do just that. Through the chaos in his mind he remembered what Xypher was talking about. He ran to the door and looked in fearing the worst. But there she was, sitting on the counter without a care in the world. Then she looked up and smiled warmly at him, and he knew she loved him. Focusing on that instead of the scene in front of him it started to fade away, enough thast he saw Sean come toward him and he lashed out in response.

“You're not real!”, Jules shouted at “Vincent”. Raising her brush above her head she slammed it down to the ground. The wave of energy it released quickly dspersed the spell Lucille just laid down. Although it left the four of them a little woozy they stood tall and faced the two fallen humans. “Now you just pissed me off,” she told Lucille and started for her until Carter stopped her by holding an arm out.

“We know your story,” he told Lucille who shot a look toward Marcus. “We know about the future you would have had.”

“I should have had!”, she shouted back.

“Well here we are,” Carter told her. “A Knight and Priest getting married soon, a future that should have been. But that wasn't meant to be, because of your Knight. He cheated on you and struck back when you confronted him.” The way she seemed to be getting angrier told him the story Marcus told them was the truth and not just heresy. “You tried to convince Jules that I'd do her the same way.”

“Because you will!,” she practically exploded. “All you Knights are exactly the same!”

Carter took a step forward with his arms outstretched, “Then prove it! You were told to stop trying to be a Guide because you discovered secrets you weren't suppose to know about through your readings. Then read me. Read me and tell me I'd be capable of doing that to Jules.”

S

scikaiju

“Lucille don't”, Sean tried tro say before a backhand from her shut him up. Not taking her eyes off Carter she made the cards hover in the air in front of her. They started moving on their own. She looked up at them, behind him Jules held her breath. Carter just stood there with his arms out, waiting. After what seemed like an eternity Lucille lowered her head slightly. A single tear dropped down her cheek right before her rage exploded. Shouting a cry of agony at the top of her lungs the cards started spinning around her revealing her Horror form once again. Behind her Sean dropped his human appearance extending the spikes on his forearm. Around them the figures in the cards start to move, first looking at them then stepping out of the cards.

His father suddenly standing next to him, Paul said, “Get those two. Marcus and I will hold off the rest.” Carter nodded to him as he and Jules took up similar fighting positions. Without a word the charged forward as the beings from the cards did the same. Carter, his father and Marcus begun slashing away at them as Jules blasted them with her magic at will. While most of the now living images were focused on the two of them both Paul and Marcus made their way forward and started slashing away, creating a opening to the two Horrors.. Carter and Jules ran through it before more came in and closed it.

Taking the lead Carter took care of of any stray image warrior coming close. Lucille came at him trying to catch him off guard. He jumped at the last second landing on her shoulder and leaping off her toward Sean. Who used a forearm spike to block the one end of the double bladed staff coming at him. Quickly changing direction Carter spun around and came at him with the other end as the other forearm spike intercepted it. Spinning around again Carter lashed out with a high kick catching him in the gut, Sean stepped back with a grunt as most of his air left him, bent over slightly, from the impact. He backed up again as Carter swung the staff around. Continuing his spin Carter brought the staff back around. Seeing the blade coming Sean tried to get the spike back in the way but the blade came in faster, slashing him in the shoulder. Grabbing his wound and crying out in pain Sean backed up again while Carter swung the staff around before bringing to rest in the crook of his arm, ready for the battle to continue.

Caught off guard by Carter's tactic Lucille didn't see Jules come in with a straight punch to the face. Knocked back more by surprise than anything else She was caught by a quick kick that hit under her chin that snapped her head back. Sensing the opening she needed Jules energized the bristles of her brush and went to strike her with it. But another tarot card appeared to absorb the blow. “Damn it,” Jules muttered as she quickly backed up, she wasn't fast enough. Lucille recovered enough that she formed those cards to block all of her attacks again. Her Horror form seemed to smirk a bit as she apparently sensed the desperation rising in Jules. Thinking fast she jumped up acting like she was going to perform a kick of some sort. Like she thought a card appeared to block her path but instead she used it to jump again and flip over the horror. Energizing her brush again Jules swung as she landed and made contact this time. Lucille recoiled in pain as she stumbled forward but Jules didn't immediately celebrate, the chances of that working again were slim. The Horror would be looking for it now if she tried it again.

For several more minutes the fight went on. Before long Carter and Jules found themselves back to back facing their respective opponents. With the moments they had since both Horrors were apparently regrouping as well Jules went, “Sean basically a puppet right?”

“According to your research,” he responded.

“What do you think will happen if we take out the puppet master?”

“We cut the strings,” he said said as he spun around her and took a swipe at Lucille who didn't get a card up in time. The sight of holding her side enraged Sean to the point he wasn't even thinking, just attacking anything that was in his way, including the images that were on his side. Jules and Carter quickly got out of his way although it was obvious his attention was on Carter. Jules went back on the attack on Lucille, her wound apparently making it hard for her to focus and call up the cards to defend her as her blows were landing more frequently now. In his rage Carter was able to lead Sean were he wanted him, eventually taking up position behind Lucille. Pulling an arm back Sean lunged at him with the spike. Carter rolled out of the way at the last second as the spike sailed over him and into Lucille's back.

“Lucille!”, he cried out as it dawned on him what he had done. Still lodged to the spike Lucille held up a hand to form a barrier of cards in front of her. Running in and jamming one of the blades of the staff into an opening before the barrier closed completely. Quickly reaching into a pocket he pulled out a regular human lighter that he tossed to Jules. Catching it she flicked the flame to life and brought her brush to it. Pulling it away a flame trail followed the bristles. Pirouetting in place the flame circled around her as she brought her hands above her head. While Jules was doing that Carter worked the blade in the opening until he was able to break part of it away, a hole large enough for Jules to do what she need to do. The trail of flames concentrated in the bristles of her brush. Lowering it and taking aim she launched a fireball at the opening. Carter made sure it stayed open before he ran past and took a swing at the unprotected side of Sean as the fireball hit Lucille. Both was engulfed in a massive explosion. Both of them screamed around them the imagewarriors started to fade away, returning to the cards they came from. Then some of those cards flew past all of them and began circling around the flames. They heard Sean say, “Lucille what are you doing? NO... Argh!”

Xypher mumbled, “That can't be good.” as they kept their eyes on the scene. Eventually the cards and flame faded away revealing what looked to be Sean. But now he had Lucilles' head and wings with streaks of white Flowing over the red body. Xypher spoke up again, “She forced the two of them together. This is Helvax's true form.” Flexing it's wings and extending the forearm spikes again the Horror looked at them.

Carter reacted first running in with the double bladed staff at the ready. Helvax started to go for him but then it covered up it's face as Jules sent blast after mystical blast at it to destract the Horror. Paul and Marcus ran in as well joining in as Carter slashed one leg as they took the other. Paul started to hold the sword over his head but a Tarot card appeared that slammed Marcus into him.While his first instinct was to go to his father Carter kept his attention on Helvax. Separating the staff into the two short swords he jumped at the Horror again. It raised up a hand to swat him away but Jules quickly shot a metal spike into it's arm. That distraction was enough for him to jump off the horror's leg and into the air and kick the spike still lodged in the arm. Helvax screamed as she batted Carter away with it's other hand before tearing the spike free. It hurled the spike bake at Jules who jumped out of the way before launching another one at the Horror.

Grunting as he got to his feet Carter reconnected his bladed to the double bladed staff and ran at Helvax again. Dodging cards as they suddenly appeared in his path he slowly made his way closer before feinting to the right and swinging one of the blades at it's knee. Catching Jules' eye he briefly looked above him then at Helvax. Getting the idea she helped Paul and Marcus get to their feet before telling them, “Follow my lead.” Again Paul didn't argue as they followed her toward the Horror. The Horror's attention now on the incoming attack, Carter quickly spun the staff over his head. The newly cut circle above him opened up letting an unearthly light shine down upon him. Red armor rained down on top of him and quickly covered his body.

Realizing a little too late what was happening Helvax turned and came face to armored face with Rook. Swing the bladed staff around a bit he ran toward the Horror. Helvax didn't back down and came at him as well. Wings flapping it rose into the air making Rook watch it ascend. Then the wings stopped flapping and the Horror dropped straight down, forearm spikes fully extended. Rook jumped back to avoid being impaled as the spikes stuck into the floor. Before Helvax could free herself Rook lashed out with the double bladed staff breaking both of them. Rearing to it's full height, with a grunt Helvax regrew the spikes.

Rook ran in and jumped up to attack. The Horror kicked out a foot sending the Makai Knight flying back. Skidding on the floor a bit Rook got to a knee and tried to figure out a new strategy. While he did that Helvax reached for him. Jumping to his feet Rook leaped on the outstretched arm and ran up it. It was a short distance so he jumped up again and repeatedly stomped on the Horror's head before gravity won out and he dropped back to the floor. Stunned from the move Helvax tried to cover it's face with one hand as it tried to keep Rook and the others back with the other.. Getting under the hand Rook ran past slashing at it's legs again. Howling in pain Rook kept going until he reached the spikes still embedded in the floor. Pulling one out he shouted, “Jules!”. Seeing the spike in his hand she retrieved another grey slip of paper. He threw his at Helvax as Jules lauunched a metal spike at the same time. Both spikes pinned Helvax to the wall behind her by the wings. As she pulled herself free by ripping the wing Rook came in again and slashed through the Horror.