So who was the moron that decided to only sub random episodes fo Flashman?

D

Dr Kain

This is something I've been meaning to ask for a long ass time, but keep forgetting to. Why the hell would someone decide to fansub Flashman, but then do random ass episodes? Like why the hell would you do 15-19 and 21 but skip 20? Oh, and then skip 22 and 23 but do 24? Then they skp 25-46 only to do 47-50. What da fuq?

That is the most retarded ass thing ever. Was Dead Fish just a bunch of trolls?

I didn't get into watching fansubbed toku until long after Dead Fish bowed out, so this is all just second hand information. But from what I've heard over the years, it was a single-man operation.

The way this guy supposedly worked was that he would watch through a series and note which he believed were the most important episodes. He would then sub those first before going back through, seeing which he thought were the next most important episodes and doing those, and so on.

That way there was a kind of "abridged" version of the show quickly available for people to see and if he never managed to finish the show (and I don't believe he ultimately managed to complete any) then you could at least see the ending and were only missing out on the "filler" episodes in between.

I have no idea if this is true, as I think the only show I've watched with Dead Fish subs was Changeman, which he was just two episodes away from completing when he quit. Even if it is correct, I agree it's a weird way to work.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

So was he trying to say that Flashman has 35 episodes of filler since he only subbed like 15 episodes? That does not bode well for the show then.

Or maybe they are the bare minimum you need to follow the overarching story. Or perhaps it was the dozen you need to follow it, plus the first three 2nd tier episodes and he never got further before calling it quits. I couldn't tell ya; I've only seen the first eleven episodes as subbed by GUIS.

Whatever Dead Fish's reason was, call it what it is, lazy subbing work. I know it's hard work, but either complete a project or don't bother. It's one thing if circumstances get in the way, but there's no excuse for that. No one should just pick and choose what they think is worth subbing. If you start a project, and you've done most of the work, then see it through to the end. This is why we don't have all the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai movies in recent years subbed. And I have no idea why. The fansub groups, mostly Over-Time, translated the entire series and sometimes a few extras. They have all the resources. Subbing the movies should not be a problem. Even if they aren't necessary or even canon to the show, there are still people who want to watch them, and it sucks that TV-Nihon is the only option left.

Sorry for slightly changing topics. I didn't care for Dead Fish's weird translation decisions either. But I'd rather have an incomplete project that hopefully a competent group can finish, rather than be losing to a group that has questionable translating abilities.

D

Dr Kain

What movies have not been subbed?

As for Flashman, it won't matter much longer since I've downloaded the raws to the episodes I don't have subbed and will just watch and review the show from those. Fortunately, since those unsubbed episodes are just supposed to be filler-esque, I won't miss much important information that I might not catch from my understanding of basic Japanese. However, I'm done playing the waiting game. In fact, I just blazed through the first 9 episodes and would have kept going if I didn't have other things to do. This show is just fantastic thus far. Easily the best early episodes to any of the 80s shows I have watched. Even Dynaman's early episodes weren't this badass.

What movies have not been subbed?

Wow... Where do I start? Heisei VS Showa (As far as I'm aware, only one ending was subbed but two endings were made), Kamen Sentai GoRider, Kamen Rider 1 (the one that came out during Kamen Rider Ghost's run), The Kamen Rider 3 special that was a tie in to the Taisen GP movie, Zyuoh VS Ninnin, Ninnin Girls VS Boys, all the KyuRanger movies, Zyuoh Returns. That's about as many as I can remember. There may be more. I know Drive and Ex-Aid had a lot of bonus specials that were canon to the show, and I'm not sure if all of that has been subbed or not.

D

Dr Kain

Wow, yeah, I had no idea those weren't subbed. Of course, I didn't even know some of those existed. I haven't really paid attention to any of the movies much these days since the series have been lackluster. Also, Toei needs to stop with the After Series movies as they all suck.

Kamen Rider Beserker
Wow... Where do I start? Heisei VS Showa (As far as I'm aware, only one ending was subbed but two endings were made), Kamen Sentai GoRider, Kamen Rider 1 (the one that came out during Kamen Rider Ghost's run), The Kamen Rider 3 special that was a tie in to the Taisen GP movie, Zyuoh VS Ninnin, Ninnin Girls VS Boys, all the KyuRanger movies, Zyuoh Returns. That's about as many as I can remember. There may be more. I know Drive and Ex-Aid had a lot of bonus specials that were canon to the show, and I'm not sure if all of that has been subbed or not.

All of those have been subbed by TV-Nihon and Over Time