Kaiju no Kami Reviews - Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (1975) Series

D

Dr Kain

Back in 1975, Toei and Shotaro Ishinomori created a team based Tokusatsu series featuring five soldiers in rainbow colored uniforms titled Himitsu Sentai Goranger. Unbeknownst to them, the show would go on to spawn an entire franchise that continues even to this day. With that in mind, is Goranger a worthy kick-off or just something that skated by through sheer luck? Watch to find out.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
>worst ending

Someone hasn't seen Flashman. Anyway this was a good review, doc. Only thing I strongly disagree with is Volcano Mask being typical, he had a mobile underground fortress that could pop up anywhere which did raise the stakes a bit. I've seen a lot of 70s tokusatsu and the idea of having bases pop up out of nowhere, let alone being able to carry squads of aerial fighters and having lots of guns, is something significant for the time. On the other hand Guns of Navarone is one of my favorite war movies so maybe I'm just biased. :p

D

Dr Kain

I don't think I ever said it was the worst ending (but no, I have yet to see past episode 20 of Flashman), I just said it set the bar really low so that anything could be better than it. Before Goranger, Changeman had the worst ending of the shows I had watched.

I liked the idea of the Navarone base initially, but they never really did anything with it as it just became a gimmick.