Well I wasn't expecting this just yet. :eek: Toei don't normally register their trademarks for Rider until June but the trademark bot that's been reliable for the last few years has produced an early application:

DcmqB8hV0AUoPtw.jpg
Now before you all start making Power Ranger jokes, apparently the Japanese characters indicate that the "ZI" part is pronounced "ji", so the name sounds like 'Geo'. However, the 'Ji' character can supposedly mean a lot of things so without anymore context there's no solid indication as to what the theme is just yet.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Zi-O will be similar to Decade in that his powers will derive from his predecessors. His main form could be based on Decade, while his additional forms are fusions of the other Heisei Riders a la Ultraman Orb's Fusion Ups and Ultraman Geed's Fusion Rises. They could have either 9 fusion forms with 2 riders each (preferably 1 pre-Decade and 1 post-Decade) or 6 fusion forms with 3 riders each.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

I'm going to say it's a geological theme. :)

Either that or a giant floating head gives the Kamen Rider his powers from a space crystal collected from various time periods.

EDIT: So I didn't read the first post. Already beaten. lol

Televi-kun and TeleMaga have announced that they will be delivering a "big scoop" about Zi-O next month and published a teaser silhouette.

rider-zi-o-sil_orig.jpg
The close up of his antennas looks like the hands of a clock.

D

Dr Kain

I guess Build ends in August, so I'm surprised they haven't shown us the full suit yet.

I guess Build ends in August, so I'm surprised they haven't shown us the full suit yet.
IIRC July is pretty standard for the reveal regardless. But yeah, with Build ending mid-late August (depending on whether it gets bumped for a week for something else at any point) it's a fairly short run-up to the new show.
The close up of his antennas looks like the hands of a clock.
I can kinda see what you mean in the right-hand image. The rumours have been that the collectable item are called "crowns" and apparently the first ones out are legend Rider ones which has prompted lots of speculation that it's an Ultraman-style "forms based on predecessors" idea. But we'll see soon. I suspect the suit reveal and the toy catalog scans will come out all in a big rush.

I can kinda see what you mean in the right-hand image. The rumours have been that the collectable item are called "crowns" and apparently the first ones out are legend Rider ones which has prompted lots of speculation that it's an Ultraman-style "forms based on predecessors" idea. But we'll see soon. I suspect the suit reveal and the toy catalog scans will come out all in a big rush.
It almost feels like Rider is celebrating some kind of anniversary every year, but going by the scan of the new Rider being posited as the 2018 Rider (9 years after Decade), I wouldn't be surprised if he's an anniversary Rider that leans hard on the anniversary aspect.

It almost feels like Rider is celebrating some kind of anniversary every year, but going by the scan of the new Rider being posited as the 2018 Rider (9 years after Decade), I wouldn't be surprised if he's an anniversary Rider that leans hard on the anniversary aspect.
Well the anniversary aspect this time is that Zi-O will be the 20th Heisei rider series.

The last time the show acknowledged an "X many years" type anniversary on screen was during Ghost when they spent the first three minutes of an episode celebrating it being 45 years since the first episode of the original series. Before that OOO spent two full episodes celebrating the 40th anniversary.

Toei insist that Heisei Generations FINAL is called that because they won't be doing that kind of big crossover film anymore, though IIRC they are still doing a winter movie that (I presume) will be Zi-O encountering Build. So who knows how hard they'll go into it?

So this is apparently Zi-O!

ihRLdWv.jpg

Supposedly someone found a Buttobasol cabinet (the latest incarnation of the Ganbaride arcade game) that had a new update installed early. Obviously there's no confirmation yet that this is really him, but it matches the silhouette we already had pretty closely and it's more difficult to fake an arcade screen than a magazine page.

The clock theme was close, but the strip down the center looks like a watchband (with the watch's clock face as his helmet). I've seen some people claiming that the white symbol on his forehead could be very stylized katakana for "Kamen" and similarly the strange shape of his eyes are for "Rider".

He looks really Wizard-y IMO but then those colours of silver, black and pink magenta are very Decade-like.