hasbro-logo-C0A36429D7-seeklogo.com.png
When Hasbro took over the master toy license for Power Rangers it was revealed that the deal included an option to buy the franchise outright, and today Hasbro has announced that it has done just that.

Hasbro and Saban have signed "a definitive agreement" for Hasbro to buy Power Rangers and a number of other brands Saban owned "including My Pet Monster, Popples, Julius Jr., Luna Petunia and Treehouse Detectives". Hasbro will pay $229.75 million in cash and also give Saban $270 million worth of stock in their company. Including the $22.25 million they previously paid for the toy license, that means they've paid $522 million altogether.

Mystic Shaman - OniBlue
This is an interesting development. I guess that means Beast Morphers will be completely handled by Hasbro. I can really only think of two other shows owned by Hasbro that are still on air....MLP and Transformers. I hope they take good care of it.

Mystic Shaman - OniBlue
Did everyone miss this announcement back at Toy Fair?
They announced they bought the toy licence at the Toy Fair. and a partnership with Saban Entertainment. Now they own the franchise as a whole

D

Dr Kain

I don't see anything different than what was announced at Toy Fair.

Mystic Shaman - OniBlue
I don't see anything different than what was announced at Toy Fair.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...rangers-other-entertainment-brands-1023010185

"Hasbro has previously paid Saban Brands $22.25 million pursuant to the Power Rangers master toy license agreement, announced in February of 2018, that was scheduled to begin in 2019. The amounts are being credited against the purchase price. Hasbro will pay an additional $229.75 million in cash and will issue $270 million worth of Hasbro common stock for the Power Rangers brand and several other entertainment brands."

First they bought the toy rights. Then they bought the franchise

D

Dr Kain

I guess that is different, sort of. There was more to the articles back in Feb, but Facebook can't seem to find stuff from that far back.

It may be worth pointing out that when Saban bought Power Rangers from Disney they paid less than $100 million for it. So they've sold it for five times the amount they paid. That's a heck of a profit, and suggests that Power Rangers as a whole is actually doing a lot better (and so is more valuable) than it was back then.
I guess that is different, sort of. There was more to the articles back in Feb, but Facebook can't seem to find stuff from that far back.
The announcement in February was that Hasbro would be producing the toyline instead of Bandai. Saban were still in charge of everything else. They owned the name 'Power Rangers', they made the TV show, they had to give Shout Factory the OK to release the Sentai boxsets etc etc etc.

It's like how Hasbro are making Star Wars toys, but Star Wars as a whole is still owned by Lucasfilm.

That press release back then had a bunch of dry legal stuff attached, and buried in that was a sentence where it said that at "a later date" Hasbro could make a bid to buy everything else from Saban if they wanted to. It didn't mean Hasbro had to try to buy it, or that Saban had to accept the offer. Just that the opportunity was there.

Most people figured that "a later date" meant a couple of years from now, after Hasbro saw how things went with Beast Morphers. But it hinted that Saban didn't intend to be around long term.

This news is that Hasbro has charged ahead and bought everything else from Saban NOW. As soon as this deal is finalised (which will probably take a few months), Saban have nothing to do with Power Rangers and it's Hasbro that have to make the Beast Morphers TV show happen.

D

Dr Kain

Who knows, maybe Hasbro will use this to also encourage Shout! to do pre-Zyu Sentai stuff and maybe even Kamen Rider.

I could have sworn I posted in this topic. Something about how this recent Saban era was the shortest one we've seen so far...
Was that post deleted or did I just imagine that?

Either way, I hope Hasbro knows what they are doing. If they are smart, or if the deal includes this, they'll also hire the production team that has been making Power Rangers all these years. I skimmed a Wikipedia article, and I didn't find much that suggests Hasbro has done shows like Power Rangers before. They've collaborated with other studios to make movies, but that's not the same thing. Their biggest claim to fame has been cartoons. The people at Hasbro might have some very creative ideas to give Power Rangers the fresh, new take it needs; but they'll still need the experienced help of people who have been doing this for years now.