D

Dr Kain

Nope. As I mentioned in the OP, this Toei bigwig has said it's called 'Final' because they intend to movie away from the big crossover event movies, even for the December movies that are continuing.

Whether that happens, well we'll have to wait until next year and see. But I hope nobody's holding their breath for the return of Phillip and Shotaro.

Hopefully Foundation X will show up in this movie then for a final send off of that plot.

Strange that Drive isn't going to be in it.

How often do the people at Toei actually listen to their fans? And if they do, chances are they listen to their domestic fans first; fans that might want completely different things than we do.
Up until a few months ago I would agree with your sentiment here, but at the Build press conference the production staff straight up said they'd been listening to (presumably Japanese-only) fan feedback saying that the show wasn't recognisable as "Kamen Rider" anymore, and that's why Build had incorporated some more classic ideas (the victims of Foust experiments visually referencing Riders #1 and #2's cyborg surgery, the increased bike action in early episodes etc).

Of course it could be a one-off example, who knows? Toei do tend to keep the "mainstream" stuff and the "for fans" stuff separate. They got burned on things like the Gavan movie where kids proved to be not the slightest bit interested. But I feel like in the last couple of years Kamen Rider (as a franchise) has been trying to grow and provide content for both of these groups.
Hopefully Foundation X will show up in this movie then for a final send off of that plot.

Strange that Drive isn't going to be in it.
I don't know what their role in it is, but I've heard that Foundation X do have some sort of appearance in Heisei Gen Final.

Between the two 'Heisei Generations' films they've featured every main Rider from OOO onwards. Drive was in the first one. He actually provides one of those good "moments" I was speaking of before: still depowered after the end of his final episode, he nevertheless does everything he can to fight alongside the other Riders and in the process IMO comes across as the most heroic he's ever been.
It would be a shining example of "the hero is not the suit/powers but the person inside"...except of course when they get to the final fight Gaim literally appears out of nowhere carrying Mr Belt and hands him over.

D

Dr Kain

They got burned on things like the Gavan movie where kids proved to be not the slightest bit interested.

To be fair, the Gavan movie was horrible and boring. No kid would be able to sit through it.

I've heard that Foundation X do have some sort of appearance in Heisei Gen Final.

If this is the final movie, then they should have this be when they are finally taken down.

Between the two 'Heisei Generations' films

Hold on a minute, there's other big Heisei crossover movies? Wow, I really have been out of the Kamen Rider loop for a while.

Up until a few months ago I would agree with your sentiment here, but at the Build press conference the production staff straight up said they'd been listening to (presumably Japanese-only) fan feedback saying that the show wasn't recognisable as "Kamen Rider" anymore, and that's why Build had incorporated some more classic ideas (the victims of Foust experiments visually referencing Riders #1 and #2's cyborg surgery, the increased bike action in early episodes etc).

Of course it could be a one-off example, who knows? Toei do tend to keep the "mainstream" stuff and the "for fans" stuff separate. They got burned on things like the Gavan movie where kids proved to be not the slightest bit interested. But I feel like in the last couple of years Kamen Rider (as a franchise) has been trying to grow and provide content for both of these groups.

I haven't stayed up-to-date with Kamen Rider Build or KyuRanger, (Seriously, I saw the 1st episode of Build before I suddenly got buried in a ton of work that has been hogging all my computer's free space for weeks.) but I have heard good things about Build, so hopefully there is that. I'm still a bit skeptical, but that's mostly because I know how, at the end of the day, this is still a business. And in a business, even if you've got someone passionate about making these stories and honoring the franchise, anything could happen to make the quality of a show dip. Corporate meddling, actors suddenly leaving, sudden change of staff, etc. Not to mention, I've seen moments where stuff like this happens for all the wrong reasons. I've seen show runners desperately throw in fan pandering to please the fans as if say "Hey! Remember this? Here's that thing you love!", but they have no idea why we liked it in the first place, so the pandering they include comes off as hollow and meaningless.

Sorry if my comment comes off as a bit to negative. I don't mean it to be. The truth is, personally, I am pretty easy to please. I don't hold too many standards these days. If my standards were so high that I couldn't accept "Riders without scarves", "Riders that aren't cyborgs", or even "Rider shows that weren't made by Ishinomori"'; then I would have stopped watching a long time ago. :p And if I were to put a more positive spin on things, I am hoping that moving Rider and Sentai to a later time in the day means that more people will be watching, and more people will want the show to improve in quality. Sometimes ratings can be just as important as merchandise sales.

Just as an addendum to this conversation, Japanese news outlet 'Sankei News' has apparently reported that there will still be the usual Kamen Rider crossover movie later this year. Apparently it's current name (possibly just a placeholder for now) is "Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Movie Wars 2019" (yes, even though it's being released at the tail end of 2018).

The same news outlet also confirmed that there will be the usual Sentai and Rider double feature in the summer, but I don't think that was ever in question.

And while this is NOT news, I mentioned above that there was no sign of a Kyuranger 'Vs Series' entry. While there has still been no official word concerning this, there's been a persistant rumour that just won't go away claiming that Kyuranger will be getting one (possibly instead of a "Returns" special) but rather than bringing back the Zyuohgers it could be Kyuranger Vs Space Squad.

R

raden238

I'm fine in general if Toei didn't make anymore Toku movies for awhile. Its gotten stale and very routine. The Sentai VS movies have been stale since the beginning so I'm glad they pulled the plug on those. Movie Wars doesn't fair much better.

The Kyuranger vs Space Squad movie is coming, Stinger's actor posted pics with the Metal Hero actors and there has been spy shots of the set.

I welcome any Toku movie for Sentai and Rider, as long as its meaningful and has something going for it. Like 199 Hero Great Battle or Kamen Rider Taisen.

Apparently it's current name (possibly just a placeholder for now) is "Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Movie Wars 2019" (yes, even though it's being released at the tail end of 2018).

They did the same thing with Movie War 2010, so it's nothing new. (And it would be part of the 2019 Rider show anyway, assuming there is one.)

Wait, they canceled the regular Sentai VS movies too?
The online buzz for Kyuranger VS Space Squad suggests that it will be straight to video, making it the first entry since Geki Vs Bouken not to have a theatrical run.

I generally don't mind the VS Series entries too much (with the exception of the first one, Oh vs Kaku, which is SO uncomfortable to watch in parts) but it's hard to justify giving them a cinema release.

There's a lot of additional expense in putting something out in theatres over straight to video, and the implication with all this news of Toei scaling back on these crossover movies is that they don't want to keep churning out cinema releases that barely make a profit.