Shinichiro Shirakura, who is the 'Director of Planning and Production' at Toei, recently tweeted some interesting news concerning the annual toku springtime movie. The slot was originally made for the 'Climax Deka' movie staring Kamen Riders Den-O and Kiva, and continued to be the home of movies such as 'Let's Go Kamen Rider' and 'Kamen Rider #1'. But by far the most notorious releases from this slot have been the Super Hero Taisen films.

Super+Hero+Taisen+Z+Gai+Haruto+&+Daigo.jpg
WHY ARE YOU EVEN FIGHTING?!

Shirakura was replying to a tweet from a fan, asking whether Amazons was taking up this slot or if there would also be a Super Hero Time film around then. His response was as follows:
https://twitter.com/cron204/status/940955954597675008
“We do not intend to do “Spring” movies. The “FINAL” on this one’s title refers to this as well and it concentrated the efforts for both the Winter and Spring movies.
The Amazons movie is part of another thing, separate from the main Rider movies. We would like to bring something impressive.”

Translation provided by The Tokusatsu Network
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/12...nces-discontinuation-super-hero-taisen-films/
To put it plainly, it seems the annual spring movie is no more. Amazons coming out around then is coincincidental. The just-released film 'Kamen Rider Heisei Generations Final' is not a hype title but is really intended to be the last of this kind of film. It appears that the winter film slot will continue on in some form.

Good riddance to (mostly) bad rubbish. Kamen Rider War, Grand Prix and Ichigo each had some good parts, but overall these movies have been incompetent wastes of potential. I don't know who has failed worse to recreate the Marvel movie magic, Toei or DC.

D

Dr Kain

I agree with Black Fang. In fact, the last Taisen movie I watched was the Kamen Rider Heisei vs Showa one, which was garbage.

They were utterly boring and I hated that I bought the BD to the first one. A complete waste of $80 I can never recuperate.

I haven't paid attention to the Rider vs movies, nor the Sentai ones in recent years, so I have no idea if those have been good at all.

Lurker
To be fair, the SHT movies should take a break cuz the writer of those movies uses the same formulas. I wish there could be another writer in those films instead of the one same writer each year which is kinda boring.

I, for one, am sad to see it go. However, if it means we get better stories in future productions, then I'm all for it.
At least, that's what I want to say. I've been down this road of hoping certain news means a better final product, and then getting disappointed time and time again. So I'm not holding my breathe, these are franchises aimed at children after all. But if they feel this change is for the best, then so be it.

D

Dr Kain

I don't see why them being aimed at children means you can't have expectations. They shouldn't be dumbed down just because children watch them, that is insulting the intelligence of children.

R

raden238

Personally, I am open to having Winter and Spring Toei movies, however, throughout the years, the quality has been dipping. Especially the Taisen movies. Once the writers can come up with something fresh and exciting, that has hype, I'm all for it. But it definitely can use a break. Same for the Movie War series with Rider. I didn't even know the Heisei Generations FINAL in the title was meant as a farewell to the series, I thought it was just because the Heisei Era was ending.

I agree with Black Fang. In fact, the last Taisen movie I watched was the Kamen Rider Heisei vs Showa one, which was garbage.
I didn't think it was entirely without merit. It was interesting to see them take all the problems with Faiz as a show and reimagine them as Takumi's personal faults. Hongo's return was cool, and seeing Decade finally act as a 'proper' Rider was good. But as others have said, they have good moments without really coming together.
I haven't paid attention to the Rider vs movies, nor the Sentai ones in recent years, so I have no idea if those have been good at all.
Funny that you should mention the Sentai 'Vs Series'. IIRC we normally get the announcements for them in November and then a February release. But there's been no mention of a 'Kyuranger vs Zyuohger'. Nor have I seen any leaks or even an actor posting a photo of themselves on social media in costume. So it's possible that that's also been dropped, at least for this year.
Wait, that isn't why it is called Heisei Final?
Nope. As I mentioned in the OP, this Toei bigwig has said it's called 'Final' because they intend to movie away from the big crossover event movies, even for the December movies that are continuing.

Whether that happens, well we'll have to wait until next year and see. But I hope nobody's holding their breath for the return of Phillip and Shotaro.

The current Emperor isn't expected to abdicate until at least spring 2019, so there's still a whole year to do movies in the Heisei era.

Last edited:
I don't see why them being aimed at children means you can't have expectations. They shouldn't be dumbed down just because children watch them, that is insulting the intelligence of children.

As I've said before from time to time, when I say things like "it's a franchise aimed at children", I'm not saying that to be a defeatist. I'm saying that to explain the attitudes of the people who make the show. We can have all the expectations in the world, but if they are going to treat the franchise with a halfhearted effort from the get-go, it almost defeats the purpose of getting your hopes up. How often do the people at Toei actually listen to their fans? And if they do, chances are they listen to their domestic fans first; fans that might want completely different things than we do.