Yeah episode two was solid, classic Garo. Another MotW episode though. It looks like this will be doing the usual Garo thing of keeping the main story right to the end of the series, although thankfully that's nowhere near as long as usual (I haven't seen an official episode count, though TV Nihon only list five episodes in their wiki).

D

Dr Kain

Episode 2 was awesome and the design of the Horror was excellent, bit my god, the actress for Alice does not know how to act for ****. Her dialog is so rigid and her facial expressions and body language do not even match the words she is saying.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Episode 2 was awesome and the design of the Horror was excellent, bit my god, the actress for Alice does not know how to act for ****. Her dialog is so rigid and her facial expressions and body language do not even match the words she is saying.

Given that the publicity material made a point of stating that Alice's actress was a model with no previous acting experience, yeah, I'm guessing she was cast for her looks. (They also said that she was "carefully selected" out of dozens of applicants but from her performance evidently acting ability was not the deciding factor)

D

Dr Kain

Given that the publicity material made a point of stating that Alice's actress was a model with no previous acting experience, yeah, I'm guessing she was cast for her looks. (They also said that she was "carefully selected" out of dozens of applicants but from her performance evidently acting ability was not the deciding factor)

o_O I think that is just flat out sad. Also, if they were going to cast someone for their looks, shouldn't they have gotten someone that was actually pretty (and didn't look 13)? What the hell went into this decision making process? Oh wait... Japan... nevermind.

What I'm liking about this so far, is that it's literally just a typical Garo show, just with Rei as the lead.

Black Blood felt like one story stretched across six episodes/2 movies, but this is like what Rei gets up to when he's not teaming up with Kouga to deal with some huge threat. I always liked that all the major knights/priests in Garo were always doing their own thing, like every one of them could be the star of an entire series you'll never see. Like, Rei has his own circle of friends independent of the Saejimas, yet we're also seeing Rekka in this later on. Garo does well with world-building, and I like that they're keeping that up. We're also getting the main arc, bit-by-bit, as well as "horror-of-the-week" fare. A nice balance going on.

I haven't disliked any Garo series so far, aside from Guren no Tsuki, but this could end up being up there with season 1 and Makai Senki if they keep this up. The Zero spin-off Black Blood should have been!

D

Dr Kain

I really hated the first Rei series becuase as you said, it felt like it was supposed to be a single episode stretched out unnecessarily.

I hated The One Who Shines in Darkness so I never bothered to watch Ryuga's second season.

S

scikaiju

The story about the father and son felt like another classic Garo episodes to me. And the bar owner gave some pretty good insight about the "secondary" armor Makai Knights wear and it fit's Rei pretty well I thought. Looks like the main story about the Dragon knight is starting to get some traction know with an explanation on what or at least who he was back in the day, and maybe why he was concealed in that crystal to begin with. Not to mention what the egg means to Alice, hopefully there's some explanation somewhere about how she knows about the "Other world" like she does. Although three episodes in it does look like we're back to CGI Horror as the MOTW. Given how they looked and what they do it's understandable because that would be hard to pull off with a practical effect and still look good, but hopefully well get some proper Horror suit action before the show is over.

On a side note was this the first time we've seen a sheath for Rei's swords? Because I don't recall there being one before.

S

scikaiju

Now we're getting into the background of the story behind the Dragon Knight, which isn't a title like I originally thought. And I kinda like that particular revelation if I had t be honest. It was good to see Rekka again, and I like the bit of banter between her and Rei. And I guess we know why Alice is going to have to stick around Rei now. At least it's a little better than one of the original descriptions why she hanging around at least, about her fainting after hearing Rekka mention the Dragon Egg or something like that. And I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that Kagome has her own "Navi", at least it didn't go "Hey! Listen!" lol.

On another side note I had to watch the beginning one more time because the statue in the distance looked a bit like the ones we say in The one who Shines in the Darkness. Granted it probably the one we saw in the preview but at the time I was watching it thinking, "Does this take place in the same city?"