So the name means something like "Galaxy Sentai" or "Space Sentai"

Meaning it'll have absolutely nothing to do with outer space and instead will be about either modern technology, or be about animals and nature.

Three guesses where I get that idea ;)

Mad Skillz
We actually already know the story. It takes place in the distant future with the universe already under control of the enemy, Jark Matter. The Kyurangers come from planets in their constellation's system.

Would like to change his avatar
You know I have Changeman on the brain, so I'd also like to point out that "Uchuu Sentai Cosmoman" was a working title of Changeman's, and...hey, also take a look at what number installment Changeman is. ;) (Hint: it's kyu.)

Also...it's the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, a franchise toku owes A LOT to. (It's also the 20th anniversary of sort of space-y Megaranger.)

And Toei's PR for Kyuranger points out that two of the more successful modern Sentai shows are the ones with space cops and space pirates, so...they're hopin' for a hit.

(Funny that Gokai was considered a bit of a dud at the time, but every Sentai show since it has bombed more and more, so it's now considered successful. :laugh:)

Mad Skillz
Kyoryuger did fantastic, and ToQger did pretty good. (though for a train series, not as well as they hoped, I imagine) But I think Gokaiger and definitely going into Go-Busters, it was a lot easier for Toei to ignore ratings and look at the toy sales as the only metric of success for the series.

This is the first Sentai series where Toei isn't in charge of production, so I have to wonder if after two duds in a row, their original concept for the next show was essentially more of the same before Sasaki moved in to give Sentai a boost.

D

Dr Kain

Yes, but Kyoryu had worse ratings than Go-Busters and ToQ had worse ratings than Kyoryu (which isn't surprising given how bad it was, same goes for Nin, which were worse than ToQ's). As such, they pretty much had four duds. Zyuohger is easily the best series since Gokai, but it's still far from perfect. However, we won't know the ratings until after the show has ended.

I just hope this "new" direction for Kyuuranger pays off. It'd be nice to see a Sentai series again that tries to actually do something fully original. I also hope the villains actually get developed this time. All of the villains from Shinkenger on, sans Juuzo, Enter, and Basco, have been utter garbage. Hell, Insarn and Naria are the most useless female villains ever.

Some kind of Beast mode
You know I have Changeman on the brain, so I'd also like to point out that "Uchuu Sentai Cosmoman" was a working title of Changeman's, and...hey, also take a look at what number installment Changeman is. ;) (Hint: it's kyu.)

Also...it's the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, a franchise toku owes A LOT to. (It's also the 20th anniversary of sort of space-y Megaranger.)

And Toei's PR for Kyuranger points out that two of the more successful modern Sentai shows are the ones with space cops and space pirates, so...they're hopin' for a hit.

(Funny that Gokai was considered a bit of a dud at the time, but every Sentai show since it has bombed more and more, so it's now considered successful. :laugh:)

That is SO COOL. How do you know these juicy deets? This reminds me of the BTS photos thread I had way back. Good times.

Yes, but Kyoryu had worse ratings than Go-Busters and ToQ had worse ratings than Kyoryu (which isn't surprising given how bad it was, same goes for Nin, which were worse than ToQ's). As such, they pretty much had four duds. Zyuohger is easily the best series since Gokai, but it's still far from perfect. However, we won't know the ratings until after the show has ended.

I just hope this "new" direction for Kyuuranger pays off. It'd be nice to see a Sentai series again that tries to actually do something fully original. I also hope the villains actually get developed this time. All of the villains from Shinkenger on, sans Juuzo, Enter, and Basco, have been utter garbage. Hell, Insarn and Naria are the most useless female villains ever.

Gotta love those "human"/Monster hybrids. I feel like one sign that would show me they're moving in a "new" direction or showing true homage to the old school, is having human actors for the main villains. But we have rubber suits for rangers now sooo lol..fingers not crossed.

Mad Skillz
When they're reported, the ratings are broken down into democraphics. Go-Busters had the worst numbers among kids until ToQger. So even though Kyoryuger and Ninninger had lower averages as a whole, they captured more of the kid audience than Go-Busters - which actually lost a ton of the kid audience. With ToQger you have a series that at least sold respectable well, so it's not as big an issue and is probably more of a reflection by Sentai ratings leveling off at that point.

We don't know the full demographic break down for Zyuohger, but the series is going to go down with the lowest TV ratings for a Sentai thus far after Ninninger slightly reversed the drop. I think what happened is that, yeah, TV Asahi (and probably Toei) looked at ratings, realized this could potentially be the new norm for the show and weren't happy with that at all.

All of the villains from Shinkenger on, sans Juuzo, Enter, and Basco, have been utter garbage.
Shadow Line had a ton of interesting villains with fairly fleshed out backstory. This is why I like ToQger a lot more than Zyuohger - the villains at least did stuff and had their own stories going on. With Zyuohger you have to wait until nearly 20 episodes in and even then it's only one guy. The show also has a ton of cool plot bits it could do stuff with to make up for the lack of interesting baddies but it barely touches on them.

That is SO COOL. How do you know these juicy deets? This reminds me of the BTS photos thread I had way back. Good times.
A lot of this stuff is comes out through events and interviews and stuff. For instance, Gingaman was originally Gaoranger but they decided against that because it was too similar to a current anime, GaoGaiGar, it was then Bioranger - this title came the closest to being the actual title, they sent out info for the CD single containing the opening for "Seijuu Sentai Bioranger". Kakuranger was GoNinja, Dynaman was V-Leaguer at some point and probably would have been more heavily themed around baseball.

Some kind of Beast mode
Shadow Line had a ton of interesting villains with fairly fleshed out backstory. This is why I like ToQger a lot more than Zyuohger - the villains at least did stuff and had their own stories going on. With Zyuohger you have to wait until nearly 20 episodes in and even then it's only one guy. The show also has a ton of cool plot bits it could do stuff with to make up for the lack of interesting baddies but it barely touches on them.

I can't remember if I finished it or not..but I do kinda wish I bought the changer.

A lot of this stuff is comes out through events and interviews and stuff. For instance, Gingaman was originally Gaoranger but they decided against that because it was too similar to a current anime, GaoGaiGar, it was then Bioranger - this title came the closest to being the actual title, they sent out info for the CD single containing the opening for "Seijuu Sentai Bioranger". Kakuranger was GoNinja, Dynaman was V-Leaguer at some point and probably would have been more heavily themed around baseball.

The title would have been Gao, or the entire concept? If the latter, then Sentai works up ideas way more in advance than I thought. :O_O: Man, I can talk about this stuff all day. I thought interviews were rare, because they hardly come up. I do remember hearing about Dynaman's fun fact way back.

Lurker
i hear bandai america was involved in the development of this particular season, to help power rangers compete with the likes of marvel and such cause marvel and star wars are there competition. Hearing bandai americas involvement alone is proof of my belief that saban always adapts a season after. adapt kyoryuger skip tq adapt nininger skip zyuoger.

i hope they do skip zyuoger though cause it has been kinda boring lately

Some kind of Beast mode
i hear bandai america was involved in the development of this particular season, to help power rangers compete with the likes of marvel and such cause marvel and star wars are there competition. Hearing bandai americas involvement alone is proof of my belief that saban always adapts a season after. adapt kyoryuger skip tq adapt nininger skip zyuoger.

i hope they do skip zyuoger though cause it has been kinda boring lately

I mentioned in the Kyu news thread that I think lately Saban makes their decisions based on the mech, mainly that is..But, if you notice lately every year (with exceptions) Sentai switches off between suits that are visually louder with more details and suits that are more minimal, clean, and with a dash of impact. Saban has now synced up with the "louder" suits timeline in a sense. It will be interesting to see if this holds up going forward.