Hase/Kurokage (Gaim) said hi.
The show became much better after that, which lot of people agrees.
Yes but later on in the very same series, did the show become even better because Yoko/Marika died?

Lazy's point is that character death doesn't automatically lead to a good narrative. Any event can be good or bad depending on how it's treated. So no, if they decide to kill Lazer off it isn't automatically awesome - it depends on what they do with it.

Coming to Ex-Aid late and.... man, I am having a REALLY hard time getting into it. It feels like Toei wanted to do a medical themed series, Bandai wanted to sell video game style toys, and neither party would compromise.

I'm four episodes in and, while I can probably bring myself to overlook the atrocious costumes and the awful Kabutack-style Level 1 forms, the show seems to be more intent on introducing new Riders at a ridiculous rate than telling a coherent story. I'll give it until episode five, but think this is going to be a year I skip.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
"At least it's not Ghost" doesn't make a show good though (while Ghost wasn't perfect, it's not as bad as a lot of the dogpiling makes it out to be.)

Yeah, I stalled on Ghost about a third of the way through, but mainly due to work commitments and a lack of time to keep up with it. It was.... fine. Enjoyable enough, even if it was very by the numbers. Characters were a bit stereotypical, in that "let's write dialogue and behaviour for human actors that would be trash in anime" way of a lot of Toei's live action shows in recent years have been, but I liked it more than Ex-Aid. Much better designs, too.

I tried watching eps 4&5 of Ex-Aid last night and ended up falling asleep. Not a good sign. It gets one more chance, then I'm writing it off.

Yeah, I stalled on Ghost about a third of the way through, but mainly due to work commitments and a lack of time to keep up with it. It was.... fine. Enjoyable enough, even if it was very by the numbers. Characters were a bit stereotypical, in that "let's write dialogue and behaviour for human actors that would be trash in anime" way of a lot of Toei's live action shows in recent years have been, but I liked it more than Ex-Aid. Much better designs, too.

I tried watching eps 4&5 of Ex-Aid last night and ended up falling asleep. Not a good sign. It gets one more chance, then I'm writing it off.

The number of Riders in Ex-Aid might not be that bad ...

There are no more introduced after episode 5. It looks like Lazer's going to be killed off in the next episode, and then Kamen Rider Paradox is due to debut in January, so we'll be back to five Riders. Toy catalogues confirm no new Riders in the third quarter - so if any more are introduced after this, it won't be until late in the show. Ex-Aid will certainly have fewer Riders than Gaim did

But yeah, no shame in dropping a show early if you're not enjoying it. (And, hey, Amazons is back on soon if that's your thing)

If you've made it to episode four then you've seen them introduce all the Rider characters. Instead they'll now start handing out a form change to each of them. Once a Rider attains level three then the level one forms become pretty much like the masked forms back in KR Kabuto i.e. a transitional stage that only appears for a few seconds as part of their transformation sequence.

Personally I thought the early episodes were coherent. Toyetic certainly, but that's the nature of the beast with modern toku. But to each their own. There's no point in forcing yourself to watch a show you're not enjoying. Not when there are plenty of other series out there to watch.

How is Ex-Aid doing ratings-wise? Whenever a toku goes SUPER goofy, either in its visuals or its tone, I struggle to believe even younger kids enjoy it. Personal bias, but I hated when kids shows I watched when I was younger spoke down to me. That's what it feels like when stuff like this has googly-eyed designs or Goseiger has screechingly annoying 'fun' characters.

The tone of Ex-Aid is not that goofy, just the designs. There is some more "serious" stuff in the more recent episodes (although despite what some people are saying, I think the "it's going to be darker than Gaim!!!!!" is premature.)

I don't really think that being goofy automatically = disrespect for audience though ...

Lurker
While I doubt Ex-Aid will end up "darker than Gaim" I like the direction it's going in so far. Despite all the Riders and Forms they've introduced, there's still quite a bit of story there for it only being 10 or so episodes in. While some of the suit designs and forms are a bit on the silly side, and as Toku Prime said "toyetic", I think the lvl 2 forms at least look pretty interesting. I'm also enjoying the medical drama meets video game theme.

While it's still a bit early to tell, and there's plenty of episodes left for it to flop, I'd say Ex-Aid is the best Rider show since Gaim (I'm excluding Amazons, love that show but it's hard to compare it to the normal seasons).