It's definitely not a zodiac Sentai

I mean, Gold literally has Libra scales on his face. You can't say the Zodiac pays no influence on it. It just remains to be seen how much of one, especially given we'll likely even more Rangers added later.

Some kind of Beast mode
Both Ninninger and Zyuohger have had some of the worst toy sales in Super Sentai history. The franchise is still in Bandai's top 5 top-selling brands, but mostly thanks to Power Rangers (I think it's behind Gundam, Yokai Watch, Kamen Rider, and Precure).

It's really a combination of several factors. Declining TV ratings, a declining birth rate, and I believe the stagnant economy have all really hurt Super Sentai's toy sales. I don't think it's an exaggeration when I say that Power Rangers is probably the only thing keeping it afloat.

Anyways, back on topic, I actually really dig the Kyuuranger designs. I also like the sound of this year's Sentai being a group of summoned warriors again. And hell, nine Rangers to start with? That's certainly a unique way to begin a Sentai series. Now, just gotta wait for the staff announcements before I can feel some legit excitement.

Right right, heard all those before, that makes sense.

Did a mini synopsis come out with the toy catalogs that I missed? Other than zodiacs what am I missing?

Unclear:

Silver - ?? (Snake/Cobra doesn't match Zodiac)
Blue - ?? (Wolf doesn't match Zodiac)
Green - ?? (Chameleon match Zodiac)
I mean, Gold literally has Libra scales on his face. You can't say the Zodiac pays no influence on it. It just remains to be seen how much of one, especially given we'll likely even more Rangers added later.
If you don't limit yourself to the zodiac and expand the idea to just constellations in general then you'll find that Serpens, Lupus and Chamaeleon fit in just fine. Plus there are 88 officially recognised constellations, so there's plenty of scope for additional mecha. :laugh:
Not to go completely off topic, but I'm curious as to just how bad these toy sales were. Have they been hurting from TQG onwards?

I can't lie, I love how even shoving toys in as much and as early is possible is starting to fail.
For context, Kyoryuger was the second best selling season EVER. ToQger was above average; Not one for the record books but still stronger than some "hit" seasons like Dekaranger or Shinkenger.

Ninninger wasn't the worst-selling Sentai as a lot of people seem to claim. It did better than Timeranger, Megaranger and Gekiranger and about the same as Dairanger. But that did make it the worst in quite a while, and it looks pretty crappy to the shareholders when they have to report that it only made a little more than half the amount Kyoryuger brought in just two years earlier.

The previous time Sentai had a big sales drop was with Gekiranger. It resulted in a change of direction for Go-Onger onwards. The drop from ToQ to Ninnin was of a similar size but it seems Bandai didn't take any major action for Zyuohger. Obviously we don't have a final total yet for this series but based upon the sales so far it looks like it may be less than Ninninger and somewhere down near Timeranger. It looks like Bandai are finally reacting with Kyuranger.

Here's the obligatory reminder that toy sales do not determine how much you'll enjoy a show.

This must be the closest super sentai can get with Saint Seiya, you know, with that constellations sub-theme.

Oh, I figured the official synopsis had been posted. Here it is courtesy of the Kamen Rider news Facebook page:

Earth has been taken over by invaders. With the universe under their thrall, the tears of the people awaken the nine ultimate saviors, chosen by the KyuTama, and they are here for the galaxy's salvation. Nine different people with strong personas. The most powerful warriors arrive here and now!!

Mad Skillz
Here's the obligatory reminder that toy sales do not determine how much you'll enjoy a show.

I don't think too many people would think toy sales are a reflection of quality, but this does bring up an interesting point.

This is pretty much the first time in Sentai's history that toy sales haven't immediately recovered in a meaningful way after a year of very bad numbers. On top of that, this is the first time an anniversary series toyline straight up bombs.

I think a smart Toei would be very concious of who you put in charge of Kyuranger. These are the regulars and most likely candidates at the moment:

Producer:
Takaaki Utsunomiya: Is doing Zyuohger and there hasn't been a back to back producer in a long time.
Naomi Takebe: Both her Sentai have done poorly in ratings and toy sales. (granted she has little control over the toys) She's also working on Amazons season 2, so that might stop her from doing Kyuranger.
Kazuhiro Takahashi: Ghost's producer. Ghost was his first time as chief producer and...for the first time ever, more than halfway into the show, the title is suddenly given to the TV Asahi producer assigned to the show. (who kept it for Ex-Aid despite Ohmori, Drive and Kyoryuger's producer, being on the show)

Writers:
Yasuko Kobayashi: She's doing Amazons season 2, so this might leave her too tied up to work on Kyuranger. Plus, most of her Sentai in the last few years are with Utsunomiya or Takebe as producers.
Junko Komura: Writing Zyuohger as her first head writer credit. We haven't had a back to back head writer since Arakawa did Abaranger and Dekaranger.
Kento Shimoyama: Ninninger writer.

In any situation, I would say the most realistic options are Kazuhiro Takahashi as producer and Kento Shimoyama as writer. If that holds true now, I think it shows how lackadaisical Toei has become towards Sentai. The brand is coming off two very drastic failures - Zyuohger even reversed the slight uptake in ratings from Ninninger and now holds the title of least watched Sentai on TV. Toei, and by extension Bandai, need to put out a show that makes the toys look super cool, that gives great character to the people inside the suits and mecha and makes kids really want those toys. I think Kyuranger has a ton of weight on its shoulders to succeed and doing something radically different with the creative staff could go a long way towards helping.

Kamen Rider head writers are sometimes big names from the anime world, it'd be cool to see someone like that do a Sentai. Heck, give Inoue a Sentai again. His most recent Sentai episode (Gokaiger's Jetman one) was fantastic and one of the best of that series. Get a good producer in charge that can give their writer ideas they can run with and make pop to life on the screen.

Of course nothing's going to guarantee success (freakin' Shimoyama, I had a lot of hope for him - he wrote the funniest Go-Busters material and is great on Gintama) but different names who bring new experience to the project would at least position it for a better start.

Right now it's a lot easier (and more likely) to say it's a constellation themed Sentai as opposed to a strictly zodiac themed show. This is why having a wolf, snake, and chameleon are no big deal when trying to figure out themes. I was probably a bit short in my initial post - I'm not saying the zodiac isn't involved, but I think it's only involved because they seem to be going for the larger constellation imagery as opposed to adhering strictly to the zodiac.

Some kind of Beast mode
If you don't limit yourself to the zodiac and expand the idea to just constellations in general then you'll find that Serpens, Lupus and Chamaeleon fit in just fine. Plus there are 88 officially recognised constellations, so there's plenty of scope for additional mecha. :laugh:
For context, Kyoryuger was the second best selling season EVER. ToQger was above average; Not one for the record books but still stronger than some "hit" seasons like Dekaranger or Shinkenger.

Ninninger wasn't the worst-selling Sentai as a lot of people seem to claim. It did better than Timeranger, Megaranger and Gekiranger and about the same as Dairanger. But that did make it the worst in quite a while, and it looks pretty crappy to the shareholders when they have to report that it only made a little more than half the amount Kyoryuger brought in just two years earlier.

The previous time Sentai had a big sales drop was with Gekiranger. It resulted in a change of direction for Go-Onger onwards. The drop from ToQ to Ninnin was of a similar size but it seems Bandai didn't take any major action for Zyuohger. Obviously we don't have a final total yet for this series but based upon the sales so far it looks like it may be less than Ninninger and somewhere down near Timeranger. It looks like Bandai are finally reacting with Kyuranger.

I remember that, that's around the time I came in!

Oh, I figured the official synopsis had been posted. Here it is courtesy of the Kamen Rider news Facebook page:

Ahh, thank you. Can't tell if this is vaguer than usual. So this time instead of a mass collection of human emotion summoning evil, we have it summon good? I'd like to see the execution for that.

Kobayashi is also involved in Attack on Titan season 2, so she is right out.

As much as I would love to see Inoue to return just to see what **** he'd pull (though I've heard good things about Kamen Rider #1), I don't think he has what it takes anymore to work on another year long tokusatsu. I'd love again to see Arakawa to return, but that's not likely.

I'm actually going to play it safe and say Koichi Sakamoto as head director and Riku Sanjo as head writer. Reuniting the staff of their last really successful series, plus reuniting Sakamoto with a space theme just seems like the clear choice.

The only one of the big three that's undoubtably on the up right now is Ultraman. Bandai not only sell it's toys but I think that they still have a minority shareholding in Tsuburaya itself. I wonder if they could/would pull some strings to have some of Orb's creative staff moved over to Toei?
Kobayashi is also involved in Attack on Titan season 2, so she is right out.
Animation is time consuming. I've read it can be anything up to a year between an episode being written and it's broadcast. So Kobayashi will have long finished working on AoT2. A better question would be whether she'll still be working on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. As far as toku goes, recently she seems to have moved onto the more adult-orientated stuff like Garo and Amazons. She might not want to do Amazons s2 and a weekly at the same time.

As much as I would love to see Inoue to return just to see what **** he'd pull (though I've heard good things about Kamen Rider #1), I don't think he has what it takes anymore to work on another year long tokusatsu. I'd love again to see Arakawa to return, but that's not likely.
Arakawa has written five episodes of Zyuohger this past year. I'm not sure whether to take that as encouragement that he's maybe getting back into the groove again, or a bad sign that he'll be associated with the way of doing things that needs to be replaced. Or maybe it's irrelevant and he's happy doing anime right now.

Kamen Rider #1 was kind of a special case because Inoue's father was the head writer on the original series. He's not going want to put his own stamp all over his dad's work. Perhaps as a result of that relationship, the film was very good at handling emotions and is based around a parent-child dynamic. But it wasn't so good at fleshing other details out. Sometimes things just don't get explained.
I'm actually going to play it safe and say Koichi Sakamoto as head director and Riku Sanjo as head writer. Reuniting the staff of their last really successful series, plus reuniting Sakamoto with a space theme just seems like the clear choice.
Sakamoto is currently working on Ex-Aid, and I think it was mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread that Sanjo seems to have taken on some ongoing manga work again.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Are we sure this is Sentai? It looks so weird... but, I honestly kind of like it, to be honest...