Ugh, those dubs sound atrocious. If they were showing these movies with subtitles on one day like Spirited Away just did, I'd be willing to travel to make it to one of these shows (the closest theater to me is about 160 miles away). But no, those dubs are not worth any price, which sucks because I REALLY want to support freaking Ultraman in US theaters of all things. But if they're not going to put any effort into these dubs, then forget it. I'll just wait for any eventual streaming or home video release.

YES! This is how I've always dreamed of seeing Tokusatsu, uncut with an English dub.
I've never traveled out of town and missed a lot of things because of it, but I am seriously tempted to go on a road trip just to support these movies.
Go Ultra! Go Ultra! Go, go! Go Ultra!

It'd be nice if the movies came out on DVD/Bluray too...

D

Dr Kain

My Alamo Drafthouse is showing this. I was so excited until I read ENGLISH DUB.

**** THAT!!!! I'm not paying to sit through a terrible dub. They should have shown these subbed.

Mad Skillz
They should have shown these subbed.

Theaters weren't interested in the sub. The only way this got into theaters was with an English dub.

Despite the quality of the dub, it's an extremely rare chance to see Ultraman on the big screen. I'd go see it just for that alone if I had the chance. (the closest place to me is something like a 12 hour drive out)

D

Dr Kain

Theaters weren't interested in the sub. The only way this got into theaters was with an English dub.

Despite the quality of the dub, it's an extremely rare chance to see Ultraman on the big screen. I'd go see it just for that alone if I had the chance. (the closest place to me is something like a 12 hour drive out)

Which theaters? The Drafthouse would show them subbed if the option was out there.

I've considered it, but they're being shown the same day as One Piece Film Gold at my theater, and I would rather see that over movies from a show I have never seen, so most of their context would be lost on me. In all honesty, I would only go to see the Ultraman movies just to support Toku in American theaters.

...Why am I the only one excited about the dub? Has the anime dub hate grown so strong that it affects tokusatsu now?
I still don't know if I'll be able to make the road trip to see the movies, as much as I want to. Still, without knowing if there will be a DVD/Bluray or Cruchyroll release, I'd want to support this at every chance I got. Tsuburaya has been trying so hard and fighting against so much legal BS just to share Ultraman with us the right way...

Maybe it's a sense of entitlement thing, which would be the worst thing to have in any fandom... I remember a time when the only thing that mattered was that the final product was uncut and uncensored. No content removed, nothing dumed down or glossed over, just everything presented as it was meant to be. If that was the issue, I'd understand. But if it's just the fact that the voice acting is not super perfect (which I don't think it's fair to judge based on a short trailer), to me that's just silly. And I'm not even talking about comparing the English Voices to the Japanese Voices, which is a completely different beast of a conversation, I'm just talking about the English dub here vs other "better" English dubs in general. It's not that hard to curb your voice acting expectations, as long as the journey and the story is still good. At least you can understand what the voice actors are saying here. Trust me, it could always be MUCH worse...

Mad Skillz
Has the anime dub hate grown so strong that it affects tokusatsu now?
I think it has nothing to do with this at all. The actors on this project are not the best and in addition to that, live action dubs always seem a little wonky. Personally speaking, even if it had a great cast of anime voice acting regulars who know the ins and outs of intonation, it would still be a jarring experience and take time to get into. Live action and animation are different mediums - with animation there is no one way they're "supposed" to sound. With live action you get English coming out of actors who were clearly speaking Japanese and because of that the lip flaps often don't match up and it just seems odd.

The cast doesn't really have a lot of credit to their name in voice acting and because of that, you get these awkward performances (at least based on the previews) that make it difficult for a lot of people to look past it being a live action dub.

Like, go support it if you want, I'm asking people to do the same, but don't call it hate for dubs or entitlement.

Who all went to this? I went with my girlfriend and we had a blast!

The dubbing was a bit offputting at times, though. They didn't really write around the pauses, so they would just stop in the middle of thoughts. My girlfriend likened it to the sloths from Zootopia. But the dubbing for the Ultras themselves, especially Zero, weren't bad. There were several times where we even laughed out loud at the funny things (which pretty much never happens watching on the computer). I hope they come out with more!