I liked him when he wasn't a god
None of those examples were at the level of zaniness that post - Den-O shows are at.

That's true, but Den-O just increased the zaniness; it was hardly the first use of it. I just don't think it's accurate to say Den-O is responsible for the franchise continuing to use wacky humour, and certainly not for using recurring elements that were there before Den-O

They weren't really there, though. Those prior examples were more believable as something that you could more or less see happening in reality. Den-O and onward are just so cartoony that it doesn't work in a live-action format. The characters even come off as though they ought to be committed when they engage in that buffoonery.

They weren't really there, though. Those prior examples were more believable as something that you could more or less see happening in reality. Den-O and onward are just so cartoony that it doesn't work in a live-action format. The characters even come off as though they ought to be committed when they engage in that buffoonery.

I agree, they were more believable; but the basic dynamic is still there. Yes, Den-O did make both over the top, but I can't see how this changes the underlying concept (light-hearted and sometimes silly hero contrasts with more solemn secondary) has changed? It's the same thing as before but exaggerating the characters, just like everything else in the show is exaggerated

Did everyone collectively forget about Tsurugi's ridiculous behavior in Kamen Rider Kabuto (KaGAAAAAAAAmi)? Or Kagami pretending to be a bride?

Den-O may have set the tone for the next few years of the franchise due to its success, but it sure as hell wasn't the first show to engage in such wacky antics.

^ Who would want to remember that waste of space known as Tsurugi? Kabuto was pretty much the point where the "Agito formula" had become a farce anyway. I can credit Den-O for at least trying something different, but the show's long since jumped the shark in that direction. I had thought Gaim would be the start of something new, but with Drive (the first half anyway; I still have yet to finish it) and what I've heard about Ghost, that was just a break from the usual. (And it didn't even get completely away from it, anyway)

R

raden238

Just finished watching the first episode, WTF?!?!!? I just watch?? This was a genius idea creating a video game superhero Kamen Rider. The toys and video games will sell like hotcakes :laugh:. But on a serious note, I love the style of the show. From Ex-Aid blowing on the gashat cartridge to the Super Mario inspired effects, its great. Never has a Kamen Rider gotten such a distinct style for its own show. I hope they can keep up the CGi for the next 49 episodes because it was fun to watch. It seems like a New Rider will debut in every episode much like Gaim, so hopefully the story will be exciting.

Complains include the early slapstick humor, Asuna being a computer sprite??, and just the usual Rider goof humor that has been plaguing the series since Drive. I say Drive started all this because the humor from Den-O - Gaim was bearable. I always give Den-O a pass because its the first series to really be a full blown comedy and Ryotaro was a wimpy hero, it was apart of his character, which is why I'm fine with it. I don't see Emu being a complete dork throughout the entire show like Ryotaro was.

Otaku University Student
Also, loved the Wonderswan cameo! Just got a Crystal recently and some of the exclusive games are really fun.

I usually can't stand cutesy idols in tokusatsu but I quite like Asuna being a video game character. At least it's an interesting element. As Asuna, she just came across as Kiriko in a nurse's uniform; and we've had Kiriko already ...

Ex-Aid 1

- Already these gags are annoying. Take them out and this would actually be a decent episode. But at least Emu is an intern and not a full-fledged doctor like I was expecting.

- If the government is involved with this show's events, you'd think they'd develop a less garish-looking device than this Driver.

- Wasn't Haima Don Horror in Garo Season 1? Episode 10, I believe, where Kouga had to solve a bunch of puzzles?

- The pupils in the Riders' eyes work as video game characters and pictures. The actual suits though as we seem them in "reality" should have removed them.

- Who does Emu think he is with that "smile" rhetoric, Patch Adams?