It's started. First rumor is a time based sentai

Granted. Once in a blue moon it's on the mark and we get something like Kyoryuger when the trademark was revealed on September 5th

http://henshinjustice.net/2012/09/05/the-next-super-sentai-series-is/

So I've been trying to put off posting the yearly thread until I had at least an interesting thing to post.

Here's what I've seen on 2ch. Please use your grains of salt, and if you are reposting this anywhere else, please IDENTIFY IT AS A RUMOR.

-The Villains of Sentai 2017 will "eat time."

-The collectible will be "clocks."

Previous discussion on the Japanese boards hinted at Time Bokan references for the next sentai, but as we are always talking about a bug sentai, I didn't post it.

If the reference in question was "Time" itself, then it's a little bit more interesting.

So what do we think? Are we ready for another time-based series. Maybe one this time that actually has time travel more than a few times?

As with the pattern after an anniversary season there's usually three rangers

Past, Present and future?

-There's definitely going to be a dinosaur in the series somewhere

-Have the 6th ranger be from the future?

Mirai(Future) Ranger?

Miraiger?

-Have prehistoric ranger. The Dino Charge comparisons would run wild

Also the suits would have a time limit. Since the suits don't originate from the time period they are in.

Lurker
If this is true, expect the transformation device to be some kind of clock/watch

Mad Skillz
Also the suits would have a time limit. Since the suits don't originate from the time period they are in.

This could be a pretty cool homage to Ultraman. Though the time limit would need to be such that it allows the rangers to transform multiple times and episode.

Either way, sounds interesting. It's still just a tad bit too early, but we're close to the copyright dates. I wouldn't expect much time travel though, Toei doesn't have a ton of sets that could double as period locations beyond feudal Japan.

This could be a pretty cool homage to Ultraman. Though the time limit would need to be such that it allows the rangers to transform multiple times and episode.

Either way, sounds interesting. It's still just a tad bit too early, but we're close to the copyright dates. I wouldn't expect much time travel though, Toei doesn't have a ton of sets that could double as period locations beyond feudal Japan.

They made it work with Den-O. Just have them travel no further back than 15 years ago (except for the movie where they go to the Edo period).

I don't buy this rumor one bit. Clocks just do not sound very marketable as a toy gimmick. And I don't know if Toei/Bandai will want to do another time-based Sentai after how badly Timeranger failed.

Would like to change his avatar
I have two reactions.

1) This sounds like BS. Let's remember this rumor when 2017's car-themed Kuruma Sentai Gekisouger is revealed.

2) If it isn't BS, this sounds like Yasuko "I like to use time-travel to mask my bad writing choices" Kobayashi. Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Clocks just do not sound very marketable as a toy gimmick.

But fruit padlocks did!?!? You could probably come up with more for a clock-themed toy than you can with a shuriken. (How boring are those Ninninger shuriken?)

And I don't know if Toei/Bandai will want to do another time-based Sentai after how badly Timeranger failed.

Turboranger was an all around flop, but that didn't stop Toei from doing another car show just seven years later. (And it didn't stop Toei from doing fantasy-themed Sentai.) Toei probably feels there's been enough distance from Timeranger. Besides, time-travel is such an overused and killed device in sci-fi for them not to try out again. Timeranger hardly put to use any of the interesting things you can do with time-travel stories, anyway.

And Timeranger might not have moved toys, but it's a cult favorite, so Toei was bound to go and strip some of that goodwill.

Mad Skillz
Not to mention, with Zyuohger and Ninninger under performing as toy lines, we're probably at the part of the cycle that has Sentai playing things just a tad bit straighter this time around.

Most fruits are bright and colorful though. They're eye-catching, and it looks good to have kids be interested in healthy food. I just don't see how you can market clocks the same way.

I think Bandai will want to avert risk even though they really shouldn't. If next year's theme doesn't involve vehicles, animals, or dinosaurs at all then I will be shocked. Even the risky Go-Busters still had animal themed mecha.

If this rumor is true, it would be cool if it was like Clockstoppers. That one movie from the early 2000's.

Would like to change his avatar
Most fruits are bright and colorful though. They're eye-catching, and it looks good to have kids be interested in healthy food. I just don't see how you can market clocks the same way.

Think of the variety of timepieces out there, though; wrist-watch, digital wrist-watch, pocket watch, alarm clock, hour glass, smart watches... You could have a toy where the watch face flips and becomes something (an image of the transformed suit, I dunno). You could have a watch where you swap out the faces and move around hands for a certain function. Different clocks could have different abilities. The variety of clocks could transform into little robotic helpers to help our heroes, like Hibiki's Disc Animals or those stupid fast food things from Kamen Rider Fozzie.

And a toy could do something goofy like play the theme song, the way the Keitaizer did back in '97, if you move the hands to the precise time. (The ONLY cute thing to come out of ToQger was to announce the train/show was departing at 7:30 AM) A few of the '80s watches had digitized animation, you could bring something like that back with improved technology. (Not to mention kids learning how to tell time.)

I don't care if I'm sounding like John Heard's character in Big with these ideas and someone wants to be an annoying Josh Baskin and point out something "hipper," but the point is...I think you can do more with clocks as toys than coins, padlocks or shuriken. (Might as well base a Kamen Rider on a stapler if you're going to do something like coins.)

Or how's about this...just because the show's time-traveled related doesn't mean everything has to be so cutesy-matchy? Invent gadgets for them, something new that hasn't been seen before. Don't be like "Time travel, so......clocks!"