So when Crunchyroll announced that they were going to be streaming the Urobutcher's latest project, I thought I'd check out the trailer...and I have no idea what to make of it. Anyone else have thoughts?

[video=youtube;YIFSyWow7j4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIFSyWow7j4[/video]​

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Dōng lí jiàn yóujì ("Sword Travels from the East"). A 'Wuxia fantasy puppet show' co-produced in Japan and Taiwan.

Treasure Cards of the Underworld
It looks like something somewhere between GARO and Dynasty Warriors, just... with puppets. Hrm.

Part of me is intrigued but I'm getting some major 'uncanny valley' from their little doll faces 8(

Lurker
i used to watch these puppet shows on TV 20-something years ago, so it's not really weird for me, the technology had been upped a bit not that they have finger movements during close ups and whatnot

Sat down today and watched the first three episodes. There are a few odd moments: The Crunchyroll subs are not using the same character names as the Japanese voice actors, the puppets' proportions are not very human (tiny heads yet arms seem to be double the length they should be) which sometimes looks weird, and as a toku fan it's odd to hear the distinctive voices of Ryotaros and Candelira talking smack to each other.

But overall I was pretty impressed. The action is very much like a Makai Priest from Garo. The story is pretty standard fantasy but it does it well. I'll keep tuning in. :thumbs:

I've been watching it a week behind (I can't justify paying for a Crunchyroll membership for a small handful of shows when I hardly give a **** about Anime and only go to CR for my Ultraman fix usually), but been pleasantly surprised by this. SO different to what I normally watch.

I just watched the finale and WOW that was spectacular. This show is much more accessable than Gen Urobuchi's usual work; Instead of putting you through an emotional wringer it just serves up large slices of FUN and yet still manages to dance cleverly around all the cliches you'd expect.

I can't wait for season two.

Lurker
pretty much, season 2 is kinda guaranteed because unlike Anime, it's a shame to just have those dolls shacked after just 13 episodes, they got to use it some more....

They announced season two at the end of the final episode. That normally doesn't happen unless things are more or less certain. Besides, there's a certain necromancer still on the loose. :thumbs:

Lurker
They announced season two at the end of the final episode. That normally doesn't happen unless things are more or less certain. Besides, there's a certain necromancer still on the loose. :thumbs:

i hope Aniki survives, he's totally blind and is underground now but that'll make him more awesome

tumblr_m6gekhqgfi1rsf4cvo1_500.jpg