Power Rangers movie #3 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

The vague suspicion that this picture of a new team of superheroes could just have been a random photo pulled out of an old Abercrombie & Fitch catalog? :laugh:

Maybe it's just because, based on photos alone, it looks like they are reinventing some of the classic characters we know rather than finding ones that could be reasonable look-alikes. In fact, I almost want to say they look like they came off the set of some random Nickelodeon sitcom. To me, it's like how Rhodey was recast in the Marvel movies. Thankfully, Terrence Howard was only in the first Iron Man movie, but we can still tell it's Don Cheadle.

But again, don't take what I'm saying at face value. I know it's not suppose to be the same as the original show. It's a reboot, possibly a one-off movie (unless it does REALLY well). I know it's suppose to be different. I'm just waiting til the trailer. Maybe they'll actually be more believable in action.

Maybe it's just because, based on photos alone, it looks like they are reinventing some of the classic characters we know rather than finding ones that could be reasonable look-alikes. In fact, I almost want to say they look like they came off the set of some random Nickelodeon sitcom. To me, it's like how Rhodey was recast in the Marvel movies. Thankfully, Terrence Howard was only in the first Iron Man movie, but we can still tell it's Don Cheadle.

But again, don't take what I'm saying at face value. I know it's not suppose to be the same as the original show. It's a reboot, possibly a one-off movie (unless it does REALLY well). I know it's suppose to be different. I'm just waiting til the trailer. Maybe they'll actually be more believable in action.

I laughed at the photo, especially how the new Jason is puny compared to the new Zack. It doesn't impress Am I the only person who thinks they should have reversed the roles? Because Dacre doesn't feel like a leader so much as another Billy contender. I do like R.J. though. Why couldn't Zack and Billy both be black? Why out of everything is Jason white, but everyone else is replaceable? I would find that more offensive than the quote on quote "controversial" cast of the original show.

I'll play the devil's advocate: unless the movie goes past the whole "we want to get past the problematic racial casting" that was never true save for racists [who literally see racism in nearly everything], then it will flounder like the Fantastic Four. Considering Hollywood's trend of reinventing movies to make them more progressive and then failing spectacularly at it in box office and critically, I can't doubt this is the same with this reboot. The director talking about it foremost, instead of about the movie itself, is a huge warning for me that the movie will probably be terrible.

I'll give it a chance and be open to it, but I won't waste any time worrying about it if it doesn't do much.

This film might do well in the box office for a sequel, but there's a strong possibility it will flunk enough that they'll go back to the drawing board and reboot it in a few years, if at all. The success of movies like Guardians, Iron Man or Deadpool that sticking to the source material actually is why they are successful. Not that appealing to a vocal SJW minority on Tumblr ever does anything.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
The irony of that is, despite not having a plot whatsoever, there's a basic idea & enough character building in the original show to pull off a movie. All anyone would really have to do is come up with a plot & tone that worked.

The only issue is slogging through 20-60 episodes of, for the most part, random crap in order to find the little gems...:redface2:

I don't know why, but the thing that's really bothering me is how they changed the Zords so they aren't too close to the Transformers movies. The logic of that was kind of asinine & makes it seem like the people working on this are scared shitless of not being taken seriously & have no clue what to avoid, what to fix or what to keep the same.

The irony of that is, despite not having a plot whatsoever, there's a basic idea & enough character building in the original show to pull off a movie. All anyone would really have to do is come up with a plot & tone that worked.

The only issue is slogging through 20-60 episodes of, for the most part, random crap in order to find the little gems...:redface2:

I don't know why, but the thing that's really bothering me is how they changed the Zords so they aren't too close to the Transformers movies. The logic of that was kind of asinine & makes it seem like the people working on this are scared shitless of not being taken seriously & have no clue what to avoid, what to fix or what to keep the same.

I wish they'd just do the Green Ranger plot right now instead of for a sequel. That would provide an entire movie, and as for as origins go? I am loathe of the origin story.

I get it. People haven't seen the show and want the movie to retell it for a mass audience, but at most, it should be 15 minutes as a flashback or otherwise. I really don't care about seeing them getting their powers and then have to sit through a Transformers esque exposition of why things turned to crap for Zordon. Or why he's recruiting children instead of professionals? I mean the dark fan film last years covered that ground, but that would be interesting to cover. Maybe it's like Evangelion and the Rangers have to start like children to even be accepted, at the peak of their potential.

Doing an entire film around an origin story to me is just boring and lame. They should riff off Zyuranger a little bit so they can have the character development and growth that is sorely need, instead of giving them everything originally like the show. Watching the original three seasons now, the story is a tale of futility. They keep on destroying their replacement robots and powers because they didn't just destroy the base on the Moon. Or the fact that Rita knows every single one of them personally and doesn't just outright murder them instead of letting them defeat her. Is their relationship tension between Rita and Zordon that a small part of her doesn't want to kill him or the team? Was she a former Ranger that was a turncoat to her father's Empire before she gave in, and what about Zedd?
The hugest thing any film could do is actually take the best aspects of all the 20 years of shows, plus the ones never here and just go insane with it. Like Pacific Rim meets Age of Extinction. Since they're not tied by stock footage.

As far as Zords. They should look at the Zyu2 designs and merge them with the original, with some Transformers elements thrown in to make it look cool.

According to IGN, this is the new logo for the movie.

Power-Rangers-logo.jpg

link

Ready, boys and girls? Say it with me now...

LAAAAAAAAAAAME!

Some kind of Beast mode
LOL, I think a different bolt could have been used, otherwise I guess I wasn't expecting much.

I've honestly seen better logos from people on DeviantArt. But I'd look past that if they'd used the iconic thunderbolt that Power Rangers is known for.
Seriously, how do you disregard the same symbol you've been using for 20+ years?