Ninninger, Last Shinobi Tale: "No hiding for us, and 'Wasshoi' to the future!"

Nah, as far as the toys go they're trying to sell them to boys. Supposedly if you have one central character for the kids watching to relate to/imagine being and load them with more of the toys then you get higher sales than spreading things evenly between the characters. Thus red rangers and lead Riders get waaay more focus and toys than the other heroes in their shows. As for the females on the team, they're there for any little girls who happen to be watching with their brothers but they don't get promoted much in the toys and therefore get the least focus. Most of the time the collectables related to them are just bundled with the team gun or something else that is also used by the boys.

Maybe appealing to girls may boost toy sales? I mean, with Ninninger's being so low, maybe Bandai should pull its head out of its ass and consider that possibility.

Maybe they should just go ahead and cut out the female characters then if they aim to only let the men have all of the cool toys. Oh wait, they want girls to watch and buy toys too.

The primary usage for the show since the 2010s are a means for advertising and selling toys and merchandise. Women in general are likely not a high growth area for Toei-Bandai's in merchandising calculations such as with the toy robots and hero accessories. Furthermore the female roles are usually not highly sought after and are mainly pursued by newcomers (though there are exceptions to this imo like Kasumi and Mio's actresses), but given the lack of a robust female fanbase that will shell out money for merchandising and the lack of prominent actresses willing to go for these roles, the female characters and their development (as well the female fanbase) are going to be continuously marginalized with Toei-Bandai idea of catering to female viewers is by casting more pretty boys that appeals to the stereotypical or imagined young housewife demographic.

Maybe appealing to girls may boost toy sales

And maybe it won't. Timeranger another absolute failure by Toei's standards gave prominence to its female character and it certainly didn't do well. So appealing to a female audience in a show and a market that is aimed towards mostly little boys certainly doesn't make much sense when you aren't even getting much of a female viewing audience in the first place.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Since the 2010s?! It's ALWAYS been like that. All the way back to Spider-Man when it was Bandai that asked TOEI to add a giant robot to the show...

The primary usage for the show since the 2010s are a means for advertising and selling toys and merchandise. Women in general are likely not a high growth area for Toei-Bandai's in merchandising calculations such as with the toy robots and hero accessories. Furthermore the female roles are usually not highly sought after and are mainly pursued by newcomers (though there are exceptions to this imo like Kasumi and Mio's actresses), but given the lack of a robust female fanbase that will shell out money for merchandising and the lack of prominent actresses willing to go for these roles, the female characters and their development (as well the female fanbase) are going to be continuously marginalized with Toei-Bandai idea of catering to female viewers is by casting more pretty boys that appeals to the stereotypical or imagined young housewife demographic.

And maybe it won't. Timeranger another absolute failure by Toei's standards gave prominence to its female character and it certainly didn't do well. So appealing to a female audience in a show and a market that is aimed towards mostly little boys certainly doesn't make much sense when you aren't even getting much of a female viewing audience in the first place.

And this is why Sentai is doomed to be cancelled in the next few years if this pattern of low toy sales and ratings continues. We're learning this way of archaic and narrow-minded way of marketing the series is not enough to keep the franchise going strong. Bandai has to learn to either adapt, or let the franchise wither and die.

^ Have you failed to consider Japan's abysmal birth rate? There aren't many kids, period, to buy merchandise. That's one reason Toei shows are glutted with them: they're making up in volume.

Then there's simply the fact that other shows seem to be more popular, and that (correct me if I'm wrong, I did read this on HJU a while back) that tokusatsu as a whole is kind of seen as old-fashioned.

D

Dr Kain

Then maybe they should be increasing their necessary viewership but toning down the obnoxious comedy and giving some more mature stories to entice an older audience to watch.

Maybe TOEI and BANDAI should have done that, promoting to older audiences, and Japan as general needs to import more weaboos or give the people more incentives to have kids, like paying them each month for each kids or something. At this rate, The japanese needs to import weaboos en masse :D

Maybe TOEI and BANDAI should have done that, promoting to older audiences

Well I think they are clearly attempt to do that by putting Gundam Unicorn before Super Hero Time to draw in older fans and trying to reverse the kidification of KR/SS.

Japan as general needs to import more weaboos or give the people more incentives to have kids, like paying them each month for each kids or something.

The Japanese fertility problem isn't really that much of an outlier compared to most of the developed countries. It's only more of a glaring problem because of Japan's distaste towards immigration (which brings its own problems as we see in Europe).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32929962 - Germany passes Japan to have world's lowest birth rate - study (5/2015)

But you see dropoffs for birthrates for many of the developed nations.

D

Dr Kain

Maybe TOEI and BANDAI should have done that, promoting to older audiences, and Japan as general needs to import more weaboos or give the people more incentives to have kids, like paying them each month for each kids or something. At this rate, The japanese needs to import weaboos en masse :D

Okay, you are the second person to use this term weaboos. What the hell is weaboos?

Okay, you are the second person to use this term weaboos. What the hell is weaboos?

Weaboo is a term mostly used to define people (particularly Americans) as people who love japanese culture so much that they would ignore their own culture in place of Japan's. Otherwise known as Japanophiles. And trust me, the amount of weaboos that I've encountered online and In real life (I have a couple of friends) is near impressive as they try so hard to justify their favoritism of japanese culture. It goes beyond what I typed, so yeah.