I agree on this one. I don't really know how to explain it, but ... You know how a lot of people will complain that Goseiger and ToQger are these unrealistically childish, cartoonish shows to the point where they come across as saccharine and insincere? That's exactly how I feel about Magiranger, despite its having a generally more serious tone than those two

I don't think Goseiger were too childish or cartoonish.
It was kind of bland and generic series, that happened to take place between two of the most overrated sentai series in recent years (Gokaiger and Shinkenger).

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I don't think Goseiger were too childish or cartoonish.
It was kind of bland and generic series, that happened to take place between two of the most overrated sentai series in recent years (Gokaiger and Shinkenger).

It's just a common complaint I see about the show: that it was somehow insincere or promoted an unrealistically optimistic mentality. Which is pretty much how I felt about Magiranger's worldview that nuclear families and romantic love are these perfect, magical things that make everyone happy and everything better

The only shows I've really dislike are Go-Busters and Toqger. Both shows was boring, I didn't feel any connection with the characters, and the comedy felt forced. This may be an unpopular opinion but Kobayashi is overrated to me as a sentai writer and folks bypass her flaws because she can write an good end game. Also kind of irks me when folks wants to be blame Go-Busters problems on Gokaiger, Akibaranger, and Kyoryuger instead of the people behind the show itself.

The only shows I've really dislike are Go-Busters and Toqger. Both shows was boring, I didn't feel any connection with the characters, and the comedy felt forced. This may be an unpopular opinion but Kobayashi is overrated to me as a sentai writer and folks bypass her flaws because she can write an good end game. Also kind of irks me when folks wants to be blame Go-Busters problems on Gokaiger, Akibaranger, and Kyoryuger instead of the people behind the show itself.

When you look in perspective, most of her works (Kamen Rider Den-O and Shinkenger) are overrated and has gain reputation as one of the overrated writer. She has written more tokusatsu series than other writers in last couple of years; I was surprised she came back on ToQger so early, despite the fact Go-busters was considered "fail" by Toei and Bandai.

Many people believes that she "burned up" after Shinkenger or Kamen Rider OOO and doesn't appreciate later works.
Personally, I think Shinkenger was the point where she really starts to stumble and Kamen Rider OOO is my least favorite series she wrote.
Go-busters saw a brief sign of recovery (even though second half kind of stumbled, thanks to Takebe decision) and ToQger is where she went back on track (no pun intended); though I do think she needs few years of break.

IIRC Den-O had pretty average ratings and toy sales, but for some reason the DVD sales went through the roof. Given that they're one of the few ways Toei can make money without having to go through Bandai, it's not really surprising that they milked it until it went dry. Or that they kept throwing projects at her in the hope that she could do it again.

You'd think that having two series in a row where interference from above caused big changes (OOO and Go-Busters) might indicate that things were no longer going her way, but I suspect her involvement with anime hits (she was head writer for two massive manga adaptations - Attack on Titan and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) has given her something of a stay of execution. Still, we'll have to wait and see if/when she next appears.

Yeah, it really annoys me that people try to blame Go-Busters's failures on anything but the people behind it. It is NOT true that Toei "didn't give Go-Busters a chance!" because of Gokaiger. Yes, they continued the Ranger Key line throughout Go-Busters's run, but if a series is doing well on its own then toy sales will not be cannibalized (For example, the Gaia Memories line continued throughout OOO, but OOO still had a very successful toyline that outsold W's.) Toei invested a lot of money into Go-Busters at the start of the show and gave it plenty of promotion, seeing it as a new creative direction for the franchise after the big anniversary. Hell, even after Go-Busters had underperformed, Toei still gave it a Vs Movie that concentrated almost entirely on the Busters and ignored the Gokaigers. Even in Kyoryuger Vs Go-Busters where the Go-Busters were supposedly "totally shafted!" they still got more focus than the Gokaigers did in the previous Vs - and it only made sense to prioritise Kyoryuger, since it has the second most successful toyline in the entire franchise while Go-Busters's performed poorly. Akibaranger, meanwhile, wasn't even aimed at the same target audience as the "official" Sentai so how the hell is it responsible for Go-Busters's performance?

I agree Kobayashi is hugely overrated and especially that she is praised for things that other writers in the franchise are criticised for (such as melodrama, unnecessary romance, contrived plots) If someone like Inoue or Sanjo does this, it's correctly seen as poor writing, but when Kobayashi does it it's just a sign of her genius! I even remember seeing people say during Kyoryuger's run that there was no way Sanjo would manage to write every episode by himself (which he did) because Kobayashi was the only person who could write a large number of episodes without relying on sub-writers. She isn't superhuman. She's just a moderately talented writer with a lot of flaws, whose work will suffer if she is under time pressure or being pushed by higher-ups to make changes (as anyone's would)

Go-busters saw a brief sign of recovery (even though second half kind of stumbled, thanks to Takebe decision)

Takebe's decisions? What do you mean? One problem Go-Busters seems to have had is that Takebe thought that what had made some of her past Kamen Rider series popular would work for Sentai, but she probably was advised/encouraged to do that by Toei, and they started to drop it from the series before the second half.

I'm not wild about Takebe after the Doubutsu Go-Busters movie, which was basically her and the show's creative team throwing a tantrum that audiences didn't like their supposed masterpiece and would have preferred a more "traditional" Sentai. I think that's an incredibly unprofessional, immature response. By and large, Sentai viewers in Japan see the franchise as basically all the same thing and are happy for it to stay that way. Franchises do need to take risks and try new things in order to survive, but a) it's supply and demand and b) even if Go-Busters IS a work of misunderstood genius, it doesn't give the creators the right to childishly lash out and insult the audience

IIRC Den-O had pretty average ratings and toy sales, but for some reason the DVD sales went through the roof. Given that they're one of the few ways Toei can make money without having to go through Bandai, it's not really surprising that they milked it until it went dry. Or that they kept throwing projects at her in the hope that she could do it again.

You'd think that having two series in a row where interference from above caused big changes (OOO and Go-Busters) might indicate that things were no longer going her way, but I suspect her involvement with anime hits (she was head writer for two massive manga adaptations - Attack on Titan and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) has given her something of a stay of execution. Still, we'll have to wait and see if/when she next appears.

Well, not only did she write Den-O but also Shinkenger (still the last all-around hit that Sentai had) and OOO (whose sales were so good that Fourze didn't begin promotion until two and a half weeks before it was due to air, so that Toei/Bandai could get as much out of OOO's toyline as possible)

Were OOO's changes mandated from above? IIRC, Takebe is on record as stating that the original plan for the series was that Date would die, Ankh would be the final villain of the show, and Maki would have been killed off at the conclusion of the show's middle arc. It was most likely Toei's decision to keep Date in the show (which they do fairly often when a character proves popular; other examples include Hayami in Fourze and Bishop in Kiva) but that doesn't mean they mandated all the changes.

Toei invested a lot of money into Go-Busters at the start of the show and gave it plenty of promotion, seeing it as a new creative direction for the franchise after the big anniversary.

Exactly!!!

I remember all of hype and high hopes Go-Busters had from the fandom weeks before it aired with folks being excited and anxious to see the show bring in this new era of sentai. When the show wasn't being well received in Japan and some of us in the Western side the finger pointing started and shows like Gokaiger and Akibaranger started being the scapegoat and getting the blame.

Hell, even after Go-Busters had underperformed, Toei still gave it a Vs Movie that concentrated almost entirely on the Busters and ignored the Gokaigers. Even in Kyoryuger Vs Go-Busters where the Go-Busters were supposedly "totally shafted!" they still got more focus than the Gokaigers did in the previous Vs - and it only made sense to prioritise Kyoryuger, since it has the second most successful toyline in the entire franchise while Go-Busters's performed poorly.

The entire 2nd half of Go-Busters vs Gokaiger was essentially a Go-Busters movie the moment them damn BuddyRoids shut down. Outside of Captain Marvelous, the rest of the Gokaigers was just there with Don and Luka in bad wigs. I remember folks losing their effing minds when Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters was announced because they thought Go-Busters was being mistreated again when the other dino sentais was going to be apart of it but the Go-Busters actually mattered in the plot and had ample interactions with the Kyoryugers than they did with the Gokaigers.

Takebe's decisions? What do you mean? One problem Go-Busters seems to have had is that Takebe thought that what had made some of her past Kamen Rider series popular would work for Sentai, but she probably was advised/encouraged to do that by Toei, and they started to drop it from the series before the second half.

I honestly think it was more of Takebe not having much experience producing on a sentai moreso than Toei interfering. Before taking on the main producer job for Go-Busters her only time working on a sentai was when she was an associate producer for Megaranger.

The entire 2nd half of Go-Busters vs Gokaiger was essentially a Go-Busters movie the moment them damn BuddyRoids shut down. Outside of Captain Marvelous, the rest of the Gokaigers was just there with Don and Luka in bad wigs. I remember folks losing their effing minds when Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters was announced because they thought Go-Busters was being mistreated again when the other dino sentais was going to be apart of it but the Go-Busters actually mattered in the plot and had ample interactions with the Kyoryugers than they did with the Gokaigers.

I do agree that Go-busters had bit too much screen time, but at least Gokaiger had roll-call with Go-buster AND had that amazing mecha fight using Ranger Keys turning into past mecha (I especially liked RyuuseiOh and Jin and MagiKing was nice fan service).
It wasn't a best crossover, but it's far from the worst.

Kyoryuger vs. Go-busters had way too much idea crammed in and didn't turn out very well.
I wished Kyoryuger crossover with 2 Dino Ranger teams (Zyuranger and Abaranger) was summer movie and have standard Go-busters crossover movie in winter.
I was really disappointed there were no roll call (which is very important) of Kyoryuger and Go-busters together; every crossover sentai movie had one with present/past rangers (even for Gao vs. Super Sentai (Gao Red and 24 Reds) and Bouken vs. Super Sentai (Boukenger and Veteran Rangers (include MagiYellow and Gold)).
You could remove Go-busters entirely in 2nd half and you get the same movie.

Fortunately, the upcoming Ninninger won't feature Veteran Ninja Heroes (which has done in the show), so we will have standard crossover movie with ToQger.

Exactly!!!

I remember all of hype and high hopes Go-Busters had from the fandom weeks before it aired with folks being excited and anxious to see the show bring in this new era of sentai. When the show wasn't being well received in Japan and some of us in the Western side the finger pointing started and shows like Gokaiger and Akibaranger started being the scapegoat and getting the blame.

I've even seen people getting angry at the target audience for not liking it ... seriously? You're going to kick off because children who are too young to have started school yet didn't like the show? The fact is that most of the kids watching Sentai would be no older than 5-6 max. While it's true that children are intelligent, at that age by and large they will still switch off at shows that have complicated plots or don't contain enough to keep them interested. (This is why Gaim and Drive both had low viewing figures with the target age group, and were most successful with a periphery demographic who will buy all the collector's items and DVD/Blu-ray spin-offs. Gaim had a plot that was confusing for even adult viewers, and Drive seemed to want to be a police-themed Jdrama above a Kamen Rider series ... all well and good except that children don't usually watch or enjoy that kind of show)

I honestly think it was more of Takebe not having much experience producing on a sentai moreso than Toei interfering. Before taking on the main producer job for Go-Busters her only time working on a sentai was when she was an associate producer for Megaranger.

I don't mean interfering so much, as that Toei probably encouraged/advised her to take a similar approach to the show as she did when working on Kamen Rider. Promotional material for Go-Busters made several references to Takebe's work on successful Heisei Rider series and, until Go-Busters started to perform badly, they couldn't have known that this approach would not work for Sentai

Kyoryuger vs. Go-busters had way too much idea crammed in and didn't turn out very well.
I wished Kyoryuger crossover with 2 Dino Ranger teams (Zyuranger and Abaranger) was summer movie and have standard Go-busters crossover movie in winter.

IIRC they originally planned to feature the Zyuranger and Abaranger teams in the summer movie but due to time restraints they pushed it over to the winter movie but I do agree that they should've had their own movie instead of squeezing everything together.

I've even seen people getting angry at the target audience for not liking it ... seriously? You're going to kick off because children who are too young to have started school yet didn't like the show? The fact is that most of the kids watching Sentai would be no older than 5-6 max. While it's true that children are intelligent, at that age by and large they will still switch off at shows that have complicated plots or don't contain enough to keep them interested. (This is why Gaim and Drive both had low viewing figures with the target age group, and were most successful with a periphery demographic who will buy all the collector's items and DVD/Blu-ray spin-offs. Gaim had a plot that was confusing for even adult viewers, and Drive seemed to want to be a police-themed Jdrama above a Kamen Rider series ... all well and good except that children don't usually watch or enjoy that kind of show)

I've seen some go as far to say that the kids had **** taste. Most people seems to forget that Toei isn't making the show for us Western fans. We're just a little speck in their radar who are only glad is that we buy their merchandise and DVD's.

I've seen some that said that Go-Busters failed because of a lack of a gimmick which may be true but shows like Goseiger and Toqger had one and they either sold poorly (Goseiger) or barley meet sales expectations (Toqger). A gimmick isn't always going to mean that the toy sales will meet or exceed expectations.

Last edited: