Ninninger or "does Toei really want to make sentai worse and worse year after year"?

Actually, Magiranger was very well received among Japanese fans. It's Goseiger & Tokkyuger that aren't (& it didn't help in Goseiger's case in which the series came after Shinkenger, another popular series).

Interestingly, if you search the forum, there are plenty of Magiranger bashing/hate thread.
I guess this forum is the "magical place" (no pun intended) to make fun of series that received very well.
Personally, I thought Magiranger was really silly and awkward show, but it had its moments; no where near as bad as Ninninger.
Here are few examples.
http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?76380-Is-Magiranger-good
http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?6370-GoodBye-Magiranger

Regarding those series you've mentioned, I rather watch those series as well over Ninninger any day! lol :laugh:

Last edited:
Interestingly, if you search the forum, there are plenty of Magiranger bashing/hate thread.
I guess this forum is the "magical place" (no pun intended) to make fun of series that received very well.
Personally, I thought Magiranger was really silly and awkward show, but it had its moments; no where near as bad as Ninninger.
Here are few examples.
http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?76380-Is-Magiranger-good
http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?6370-GoodBye-Magiranger

Regarding those series you've mentioned, I rather watch those series as well over Ninninger any day! lol :laugh:

Honestly, other than the super formulaic nature of the sentai, and the unlikable magired, Magiranger isn't that bad. I like the other characters, the villains aren't too bland, and the family aspect is done way better than mystic force, which made the family aspect feel like it had nothing to do with power rangers.

Honestly, other than the super formulaic nature of the sentai, and the unlikable magired, Magiranger isn't that bad. I like the other characters, the villains aren't too bland, and the family aspect is done way better than mystic force, which made the family aspect feel like it had nothing to do with power rangers.

To be honest, as much as I didn't care about the show, I do give credit for "magic/wizard" theme, that hasn't tested with prior series.
Up to that point, most of the themes were done in the 90's/00's (Ninja, Dinosaur, and Police), so it was somewhat refreshing to see an original theme.
I do give credit for at least trying something new; heck, I felt the same way as Kamen Rider Wizards few years later and I'm not a fan of it either.

It seems that "third-time-the-charm" doesn't apply well to sentai; Go-onger (car), Kyoryuger (dinosaur), and Ninninger (ninja).
Gekiranger (martial art/chi-power; Maskman and Dairanger) is only one that did it right IMO.
Since Dekaranger 10 YEARS AFTER is coming this year, I'm expecting another police motif in foreseeable future; at least, before end of this decade (2016~2019).

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I hate Magiranger because it's both sexist and heavily promotes a strict ideal of "traditional" families (which, while not inherently bad, can be damaging for children who happen not to live in one.) I would rather watch Goseiger or Ninninger in full, a hundred times, than watch a single episode of Magiranger.

Actually, Magiranger was very well received among Japanese fans. It's Goseiger & Ninninger that aren't (& it didn't help in Goseiger's case in which the series came after Shinkenger, another popular series).

How poorly received were they? Ninninger's still on the air and we haven't (as yet) heard anything of its ratings or sales that I know of. Goseiger's ratings were lower than Shinkenger's but still higher than Go-onger, Gekiranger or Gokaiger, and its sales while not stellar were not low enough to cause that much alarm. It wasn't the flop that a lot of people would like to think it was

I hate Magiranger because it's both sexist and heavily promotes a strict ideal of "traditional" families

Your definition of sexism leaves something to be desired.

There are much more sensible reasons to hate Magiranger than that nonsense. Like how it's laced with enough sugar to give one a diabetic shock.

(which, while not inherently bad, can be damaging for children who happen not to live in one.)

How? Because a minority may not have the "ideal", that means the ideal can't be promoted as something to aspire to? That's dumb.

Your definition of sexism leaves something to be desired.

There are much more sensible reasons to hate Magiranger than that nonsense. Like how it's laced with enough sugar to give one a diabetic shock.

I think that Magiranger gets excused a lot of the wacky, crazy stuff that is hated in other shows. It does have plenty of serious moments, but then so do other Sentai (like ToQger, Ninninger, Hurricaneger, Abaranger ...) and they get lambasted as "too wacky" more often than Magiranger does.

How? Because a minority may not have the "ideal", that means the ideal can't be promoted as something to aspire to? That's dumb.

I don't think it's dumb not to want the risk of children who don't live in the kind of "perfect" and "traditional" family promoted by the show, feeling that there is something "wrong" with them or their families. (Or even children who do live in a "traditional" family that is not happy. In the real world, marriage and family life are often not the picture of bliss that Magiranger makes them out to be)

Why do people hate wacky and crazy in a kids' show anyway. Last I checked, Cartoon Network is filled with that stuff. Even shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time are more wacky than Sentai.

People really don't understand the idea of intended primary audience.

It's not bad, and its absence doesn't equate to better writing. (People say that something being aimed at a child audience doesn't excuse laziness, and I agree. I do not agree that the presence of anime-style humour or slapstick is automatically "insulting children's intelligence!") But nevertheless a lot of people hate it, and I've seen much less criticism of Magiranger over this than I have of other shows

It's not bad, and its absence doesn't equate to better writing. (People say that something being aimed at a child audience doesn't excuse laziness, and I agree. I do not agree that the presence of anime-style humour or slapstick is automatically "insulting children's intelligence!") But nevertheless a lot of people hate it, and I've seen much less criticism of Magiranger over this than I have of other shows

To be honest, the traditional family aspect did bother me at first because of the though that one of the family members would get all of the glory or that the story would only focus on one like Mystic Force did, but then the family aspect became a problem when the show became really formulaic and the family part feeling like something that you would see in the brady bunch. They could've done the family thing better, but hey, better than some family things I guess. In comparison to the other sentais like ToQger and Ninninger with its wackiness, I can at least tell when ToQger and Ninninger (from my experience with the show anyway) are acting silly and when they want to take themselves seriously, as opposed to Magiranger which doesn't really seem to know when to take it seriously since their weapons seem more like a joke to me than anything else (and when I say that toqger and ninninger does this better, it doesn't mean that they're parodies...in fact, far from it).

D

Dr Kain

I can find enjoyment in Magiranger thanks to the villains, especially the Infershia Gods. That brought in a new aspect to the show because I don't think we have ever seen the main villains killed off and replaced like that since Turboranger. Plus, the bad guy leader was Cthulhu and Dagon was in charge of the gods. Freaking awesome. However, the rangers themselves are pretty boring and the bad episodes are really really bad. Like freakishly boring and annoying bad. Like the fake wedding episode and anything with green acting way over the top (like the one where he gets MagiMuscle mode).