Is anyone else disgusted with the Last Ninja contest from Ninninger?

I thought early on, that the twist would be that the grandpa has been lying the entire time and he's not even a Ninja, let alone the "Last Ninja". It seemed like all those stories about the things he did were him telling tall tales.

Anyway the most likable character in the entire thing to me is Tsumuji, because he is mostly removed from the whole ninja thing.

oh, I was fairly disgusted with it and yes the grandpa is nothing but an asshole. it's one of the reasons why I absolutely loathe the series and even after dropping it since Episode 10, I still feel bitter towards it. what's the point of being called Sentai if all of the heroes are pit to compete against each other for some stupid title? isn't that more of a Kamen Rider thing? we don't need to know who will earn it eventually because we all know Red always wins. oh look, no surprise that Nishikawa Shunsuke's acting hasn't improved one bit.

Lurker
"Disgusted" is a strong word, but I don't like the idea of them competing while working as a team.

On a side note, the title of "Last Ninja" is pretty contrariety since we've seen other ninjas. Also why is it only family members be a successor? What makes their clan so deserving of being the Ninja to end all Ninjas?

I think "Last" is a bad translation of Saikou. Should have used Ultimate instead of Last.

There's nothing wrong with members of a team competing with each other (as long as it's healthy). In the real world the idealized scenario where everyone just works together means mediocrity. It's a really good lesson, but I'd understand that it deviates from the norm.

I think "Last" is a bad translation of Saikou. Should have used Ultimate instead of Last.

But they're clearly saying, in English, "Last Ninja" in the dialogue. It's just a bad misunderstanding of the English language on the staff's part. Plus, there was recently a pretty successful Naruto movie called "The Last" so maybe they want to trigger a shallow association.

Lurker

There's nothing wrong with members of a team competing with each other (as long as it's healthy). In the real world the idealized scenario where everyone just works together means mediocrity. It's a really good lesson, but I'd understand that it deviates from the norm.

I would've accepted it more if everyone wasn't being total gits.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
No, everyone working together doesn't equal "mediocrity." Competition is not a "better" lesson than teamwork.

That said, I think the "Last Ninja" plot works well in that it both brings the heroes together (they want the same thing, they're studying together, the title is passed on through their family) but introduces some interpersonal tension. The Ninningers need that dynamic, IMO. They are closer than a team that's not related, yet they're not siblings raised together like the past family Sentai, so they need something that's going to keep them from falling between the proverbial stools

But they're clearly saying, in English, "Last Ninja" in the dialogue. It's just a bad misunderstanding of the English language on the staff's part. Plus, there was recently a pretty successful Naruto movie called "The Last" so maybe they want to trigger a shallow association.

I know that they say it. I was thinking that it was a bad translation by the writers. The show is peppered with bad Engrish.

No, everyone working together doesn't equal "mediocrity." Competition is not a "better" lesson than teamwork.

1. You're assuming that competition between members of a team and teamwork are dichotomous. They're not.
2. A team that does not involve competition between members WILL be mediocre, based on personal experience. You will always need the best man for certain jobs so each person should be able to keep their spots and/or be able to work better with the rest.

I would've accepted it more if everyone wasn't being total gits.

Only Yoshitaka is being a dbag about it though. Everyone else is fine.

Lurker
I concur. I find it very offensive that working together equates to failure. (Talking to lazycoconut)

There's a difference between a job and competition.... That's a poor lesson AND a comparison.

Last edited: