I've just seen this circulating around on twitter and thought it makes for somewhat interesting reading for those of us who care about how the toy sales affect the franchise. Listed below are the sales totals for each Sentai series since Jetman (I guess that's the furthest back that could be found online).

Jet: ¥11.3 Billion
Zyu: ¥13.2 Billion
Dai: ¥7.8 Billion
Kaku: ¥8.4 Billion
Oh: ¥15.9 Billion
Car: ¥11.8 Billion
Mega: ¥7.3 Billion
Ginga: ¥9.3 Billion
GoGoV: ¥9.0 Billion
Time: ¥6.4 Billion
Gao: ¥11.0 Billion
Hurri: ¥13.1 Billion
Aba: ¥13.0 Billion
Deka: ¥11.6 Billion
Magi: ¥10.8 Billion
Bouken: ¥10.1 Billion
Geki: ¥7.7 Billion
Go-On: ¥12.0 Billion
Shinken: ¥10.5 Billion
Gosei: ¥9.2 Billion
Gokai: ¥13.0 Billion
Go-Bus: ¥9.6 Billion
Kyoryu: ¥14.4 Billion
ToQ: ¥11.3 Billion

IIRC Bandai have predicted somewhere around ¥12 Billion(?) for Ninninger, but we'll have to wait and see.

Highest selling series: Ohranger, Kyoryuger, Zyuranger
Lowest selling series: Timeranger, Megaranger, Gekiranger
Average sales (not including Ninnin): ¥10.7 Billion

Last edited:
Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
>Ohranger nearly killed Super Sentai
>highest sales of all time
>Go-Busters making that much despite Bandai crying its a disaster

Its like fans and Bandai hate the things that make money or something.

>highest sales of all time
>Go-Busters making that much despite Bandai crying its a disaster

Its like fans and Bandai hate the things that make money or something.

Despite Ohranger had highest toy sales of all time, it was panned/criticized by many fans, and considered to be one of the least popular sentai series.
While its successor, Carranger, sales weren't as high, it became one of the most popular/praised series among fans (not so much in Western audience), and became cult hit.

In case of Go-busters, the sales drop was enormous from its predecessor, Gokaiger (13.0 -> 9.6).
IIRC, Bandai was expecting 11~10 billion, but unfortunately it under-performed; especially, since there were not collector gimmicks.
It also doesn't help that overall ratings of the series was lowest (4.1) among the franchise at the time (ToQger replaced that though (3.8)), and it was a huge drop from Gokaiger (5.0); granted, ratings of sentai (and tv shows in general) has been declining in last few years.

Just for comparison, Sentai ratings for the same period of time (compiled from here, here, here, here and here)

Jet: 7.1%.
Zyu: 7.1%.
Dai: 7.0%.
Kaku: 5.7%.
Oh: 4.5%.
Car: 4.8%.
Mega: 6.5%.
Ginga: 8.0%.
GoGoV: 6.6%.
Time: 7.1%.
Gao: 8.8%.
Hurri: 7.5%.
Aba: 7.1%.
Deka: 7.1%.
Magi: 7.7%.
Bouken: 6.7%.
Geki: 5.2%.
Go-On: 5.1%.
Shinken: 5.9%.
Gosei: 5.4%.
Gokai: 4.9%
Go-Bus: 4.1%
Kyoryu: 3.9%
ToQ: 3.8%

Highest rated series during this period: Gaoranger, Gingaman, Magiranger
Lowest selling series during this period: ToQger, Kyoryuger, Go-Busters
Average rating during this period: 7.1%

Sentai moved from early evenings (5.30pm on a Saturday IIRC) to Sunday mornings during Megaranger. Looks like they got a ratings boost for a few years by doing so.

Yes, I was a bit shocked too when I noticed that apparently more people watched Magiranger than Jetman :sly:

Here's the link to list of ratings for all tokusatsu.
It's all in Japanese, but sentai is listed on top.
http://www10.atwiki.jp/shichouseiko/pages/15.html#SuperSentai

Jetman came after Fiveman, which had the lowest ratings at the time (6.5); it had a huge drop from its predecessor, Turboranger (7.6).
IIRC, there were rumor that sentai would get cancelled after Fiveman, and thanks to Jetman's success, it saved the franchise.

Magiranger came the year (2005) where Harry Potter (magic) was popular; Goblet of Fire (movie) and Half-Blood Prince (book) came out that year.
Not to mention, it came out after Dekaranger, which was very popular among fans.
It's also the last series to get 7% rating.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Wow, Gingaman was THAT popular?........ And so was FLASHMAN? Bleh. As for the link PP245 gave:

>Leo was a lot higher than I expected
>Ultra Q Dark Fantasy was apparently that uninteresting
>Ultra Q broke 30%
>Gaim has the worst ratings of any Kamen Rider series

it was panned/criticized by many fans, and considered to be one of the least popular sentai series.
So was Fiveman, but that turned out to be awesome. Plus Turboranger caused the single digit slump anyway, I guess nobody liked rock and roll with their sentai.

Wow, Gingaman was THAT popular?........ And so was FLASHMAN? Bleh. As for the link PP245 gave:

>Leo was a lot higher than I expected
>Ultra Q Dark Fantasy was apparently that uninteresting
>Ultra Q broke 30%
>Gaim has the worst ratings of any Kamen Rider series

So was Fiveman, but that turned out to be awesome. Plus Turboranger caused the single digit slump anyway, I guess nobody liked rock and roll with their sentai.

Flashman was popular, probably due to Changeman's success, where it was cult hit.

Gingaman followed the rating boost from Megaranger, so it's understandable.
The fantasy elements worked much better than Zyuranger and kids really liked it.

Q Dark Fantasy was aired on midnight, so it's understandable why rating was low.

Ultra Q came out the time when sci-fi show becomes popular, and thanks to its success the Ultraman was born, and become smashing success.

Regarding Gaim, a lot of target audience (children), couldn't get into the show, since hey thought it was too "dark" and "gritty".
It has similar problem to Go-busters, where older audience enjoyed it more.

Regarding Gaim, a lot of target audience (children), couldn't get into the show, since hey thought it was too "dark" and "gritty".
It has similar problem to Go-busters, where older audience enjoyed it more.

Where did this myth that older audiences enjoyed Go-Busters come from? Very few people cared for that show as it was airing, hence the awful ratings. And honestly, I don't blame children for Gaim's ratings being so down. I loved the show to death, but I will admit that Gen Urobuchi was more interested in writing his magnum opus than writing a show for children. Children don't care about morality plays. They don't like to be talked down to either, but they also certainly don't care about the thin line between good and evil.

Where did this myth that older audiences enjoyed Go-Busters come from? Very few people cared for that show as it was airing, hence the awful ratings. And honestly, I don't blame children for Gaim's ratings being so down.

Don't know.
First time I heard the series was doing poorly was from this article, back when it was airing.
http://risingsuntokusatsu.com/2012/08/26/ratings-breakdown-kids-just-dont-like-go-busters/

The issue was also discussed in this thread (sort of) as well.
http://forums.henshinjustice.net/sh...and-their-effect-on-the-future-of-Kamen-Rider

No it didn't. That's a legend about as grand as the Pangean civilization.

Wow, Gingaman was THAT popular?........ And so was FLASHMAN? Bleh.

Why shouldn't they be? One is among the best Sentais ever and the other is a good show in its own right.

So was Fiveman, but that turned out to be awesome.

Fiveman is essentially a "Best of Hirohisa Soda" (the head writer from Google V to Fiveman), a collection of plots from all his other shows. He was burned out at that point. Not to say it's a bad show; it's certainly more watchable than something like Kyoryuger or Ninninger. But it's not exactly a contender for "the best".

By the way, am I the only one who somewhat liked the Fiveman puppets?