Would like to change his avatar
The thing is...

When Abaranger was first on the air, it DID seem like a Sentai that was "running wild." It's in its own world, it marches to its own beat, it's quirky and bizarre. A lot of people at the time thought it was a stupid, cartoonish, over-the-top show, but it WAS supposed to be crazy. And I do think it's a crazy show. The problem? Sentai (and now even Rider) has gotten SO wacky and cartoony that Abaranger kind of looks as grim and ordinary as early JAKQ. Imagine watching this show before Gekiranger or Go-onger or Den-O or Fourze.

Anyway, about that stock clip of Asuka that plays after the credits...

If you watched the show when it aired, it WAS what was played under the Bandai logo and sponsor screen. Earlier on, they had different footage for each episode (episode two showed the characters carrying boxes as they moved into the Kyoryu-ya; one episode had Asuka running through the city looking for the newest egg). The DVDs left it the sponsor screen, but removed the announcer and logo. Tsuburaya often does this with their Ultraman DVD releases, but Toei did it for a while, too. (If you look at the Dekaranger DVDs, after the credits there will be all of that boring crap with the mecha, while an instrumental of the theme plays, for example.)

She's annoyed, but with the big difference with most other villains, she's not competing with them in earning the Big Bad's good side. Which means she doesn't care about pleasing Dezumozorya, unlike most generals, who really want to be the Big Bad's favorite general. Besides, you're blaming Jeanne for joining the Big Bad despite being its victims : and yet, you're a fan of Changeman where most of the generals are former enemies of the Big Bad who now work for him.

Granted, I do think at times the Gozma characters' thinking is odd. But at least there we see them muttering to themselves and each other about not liking their positions, and we have Giluke and Ahames competing with each other for Bazoo's favor to achieve their own ends. With Jeanne, all you have is her hatred for Asuka, but that in and of itself doesn't indicate she wants out of Evolian. Any more than Shelinda's hatred of Hayate meant she hated Balban, or Igam's hatred of Takeru meaning she had a grudge against Tube (Zeba, yes, but not the whole empire).

In fact in early episodes Jeanne claims she's an Evolian who killed and took over Mahoro's body, and Asuka decides to avenge her. Then later she claims she wants revenge on Asuka for his personal slight against her.

I think that a big issue of Abaranger, and it's something that understandably can turn off a viewer is that it's not a very good action show

But the things I bring up have nothing to do with action. The "drama" the story ought to have isn't there for me, at least compared to the aforementioned shows I just finished.

It's true that during most of the show, the villain side is very very incapacitated, much more than most villain group.
You've talked about the Balaban : they were stuck on Earth, but otherwise, their forces were very active, and the group had a feeling of a real army. Because the Big Bad is in a weakened state, after the opening arc, the Evolian are very incapacitated, and indeed, they don't feel dangerous ; heck, when one looks at the Dimenokodon arc, the villains are so ineffective that they even almost destroy themselves, and ironically, the heroes end up saving them.
I think that Arakawa wasn't really interested in the Evolian themselves, not unlike he wouldn't care about the Zangyack in Gokaiger. During most of the show, the heroes struggle with Jeanne, Abarekiller and then, Lijewel : not much against the other main villains.

From my understanding, the Baranoia in Ohranger were meant to have a creepiness factor to them, that being you see a bunch of "unscary-looking" robots doing all these horrific things. Seeing Mikela and Voffa, I think that ought to have been so with Evolian; these eccentric artists are running a genocidal force worshiping an evil god. But the Evolians instead feel like toned-down Bowzock.

The thing is...

When Abaranger was first on the air, it DID seem like a Sentai that was "running wild." It's in its own world, it marches to its own beat, it's quirky and bizarre. A lot of people at the time thought it was a stupid, cartoonish, over-the-top show, but it WAS supposed to be crazy. And I do think it's a crazy show. The problem? Sentai (and now even Rider) has gotten SO wacky and cartoony that Abaranger kind of looks as grim and ordinary as early JAKQ. Imagine watching this show before Gekiranger or Go-onger or Den-O or Fourze.

You make a good point. But only two weeks ago I finished watching Carranger for the first time. That show felt more "wild and crazy" than Abaranger. Even Kakuranger felt more "crazy".

Anyway, about that stock clip of Asuka that plays after the credits...

If you watched the show when it aired, it WAS what was played under the Bandai logo and sponsor screen. Earlier on, they had different footage for each episode (episode two showed the characters carrying boxes as they moved into the Kyoryu-ya; one episode had Asuka running through the city looking for the newest egg). The DVDs left it the sponsor screen, but removed the announcer and logo. Tsuburaya often does this with their Ultraman DVD releases, but Toei did it for a while, too. (If you look at the Dekaranger DVDs, after the credits there will be all of that boring crap with the mecha, while an instrumental of the theme plays, for example.)

I thought that might be it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Granted, I do think at times the Gozma characters' thinking is odd. But at least there we see them muttering to themselves and each other about not liking their positions, and we have Giluke and Ahames competing with each other for Bazoo's favor to achieve their own ends. With Jeanne, all you have is her hatred for Asuka, but that in and of itself doesn't indicate she wants out of Evolian. Any more than Shelinda's hatred of Hayate meant she hated Balban, or Igam's hatred of Takeru meaning she had a grudge against Tube (Zeba, yes, but not the whole empire).

In fact in early episodes Jeanne claims she's an Evolian who killed and took over Mahoro's body, and Asuka decides to avenge her. Then later she claims she wants revenge on Asuka for his personal slight against her.

Giluke and Ahames don't like their position, yet, they seem to have great fun when tormenting the heroes and do destruction. Even at their last moments, despite seemingly wanting to rebel, they still did everything for Bazoo. Besides, it's not impossible that Jeanne had somewhat forgotten the real reason of her hatred at first, and realized her true motivation thanks to the mysterious girl's way of reawakening memories. Btw, if you discard that theory, it's not impossible that when she claimed she killed Mahoro and took her body, she intentionally lied to hurt Asuka; besides another theory, , in a way, Mahoro was dead, destroyed by her rape and the fact a child was born (at least apparently) from the rape, and "Jeanne" was born (i. Besides, Changeman's Shima's backstory is even more inconsistent). Besides, it's obvious that in most of the show, her main motivation is her hatred from Asuka, not Evolian's glory. Oh, and in episode 28 Jeanne mentions wanting to quit the Evolian. And frankly, when you look a her behaviour, she's more working for herself than really for the villain group. She's pretty much a loner doing things on her own.
Shelinda is a proud Balban and has always been written that way.
It's interesting you mention Igam, because it's pretty interesting that even if she was supposed to hate Zeba, she only defected not because she realized he was her family's worst enemy's offspring, but only because Zeba discarded her in the finale. I feel that it's much more problematic than Jeanne's behaviour.
Oh, last element : during most her time as Jeanne, Mahoro was using the evil armor that is able to seal the goodness in the heart, and increase thirst for destruction. No wonder she wants to destroy everything.

But the things I bring up have nothing to do with action. The "drama" the story ought to have isn't there for me, at least compared to the aforementioned shows I just finished.

Why do you think Asuka/Mahoro's storyline is weaker than most melodramatic drama written in sentai? How is it weaker than drama written in Changeman, Gingaman, Kakuranger ot other shows? Do you think that the Rie/Ryu drama in Jetman is better done (I chose that one because the Asuka/Mahoro drama is pretty much an homage to that arc)?
Besides, I think that the reason you feel there is less drama in Aba than in shows like Changeman and Gingaman is because those two shows have chosen to have an huge focus on drama, external struggles with very prominent enemies, while Aba seems to voluntary choose to use drama much more sparingly.

From my understanding, the Baranoia in Ohranger were meant to have a creepiness factor to them, that being you see a bunch of "unscary-looking" robots doing all these horrific things. Seeing Mikela and Voffa, I think that ought to have been so with Evolian; these eccentric artists are running a genocidal force worshiping an evil god. But the Evolians instead feel like toned-down Bowzock.

Probably because Mikela and Voffa are pretty inept at being anything else than monster makers, and their personal dislike of direct fighting. Contrarywise, Zelmoda, Gynaman and Richriker were more involved in the action. Besides, your compariosn with Carranger makes sense since Car and Aba have two important writers in common : Arakawa and Urasawa.
About Ohranger, that you use as an example : Ohranger started as a muuch more grim show than it ended up to be, and it has a military feel, "War of the Worlds" atmosphere that is pretty back when the show stops being wacky. Confict is really very large scale, when Aba has chosen much more individual conflict over large scale war.

You make a good point. But only two weeks ago I finished watching Carranger for the first time. That show felt more "wild and crazy" than Abaranger. Even Kakuranger felt more "crazy".

It's not that surprising. Because of the ninja theme, Kakuranger used a lot of wild action, and the monsters of the week were using the classic "Yokai" theme, and it could lad to very imaginative use of the theme for craziness. Besides, another reason is that the main characters were pretty bizarre themselves : Saizou, Seikai, Jiraya, and Sasuke at first.
Same thing for Carranger : in that show, everyone was crazy and stupid, heroes and villains alike.
Abaranger is very different : the main characters are pretty reasonable character, Ryouga's "loud Red" being balanced by his very responsible sense of being a parent, Yukito's "cool attitude" (in fact, Yukito is the craziest of the bunch, when he let himself go),, and while Ranru is hot blooded, she's still mostly reasonable. Likewise, the most important villains( Jeanne, Lije, Abarekiller) aren't as wacky as Junior or the Bowzock. The most over the top element of the show are the bizarre monster and some bizarre gags, but they're more secondary elements than main elements of the show. Most of Abaranger's comedy uses the concept of "straight characters" dealing with craziness surrounding them. So, of course, it feels less crazy than shows where everyone is crazy.

Last edited:
I'm at the homestretch now. I will say that after 32 the show's started to pick up more and isn't as slow.

Besides, it's obvious that in most of the show, her main motivation is her hatred from Asuka, not Evolian's glory. Oh, and in episode 28 Jeanne mentions wanting to quit the Evolian. And frankly, when you look a her behaviour, she's more working for herself than really for the villain group. She's pretty much a loner doing things on her own.

So let me get this straight: before Anomalocaris Mk II blows up, Asuka tells her the truth, Mahoro repents, loses her memory, gains it back and decides to infiltrate Evolian while apologizing to Asuka for before and promising to return.

Why do you think Asuka/Mahoro's storyline is weaker than most melodramatic drama written in sentai? How is it weaker than drama written in Changeman, Gingaman, Kakuranger ot other shows? Do you think that the Rie/Ryu drama in Jetman is better done (I chose that one because the Asuka/Mahoro drama is pretty much an homage to that arc)?

Actually, I do think Asuka/Mahoro is a bit better than Ryu/Rie, at least in the way it's written. However, the presentation of the story, and most everything else in Aba, feels bland and unemotional precisely because of how subdued the show is. Even with Asuka's relationship with the trio; after his "death" we get an episode where Ranru goes out of her way to retrieve something Asuka made for Mahoro because of all they'd been though together. Yet it doesn't *feel* as though Asuka and the trio really had that special a bond. Yukito even said once that Asuka is useless. Asuka's supposed to be the leader/"mentor" of the group, yet he just doesn't do anything that memorable, at least for me.

In Kuuga, being subdued worked because we still saw how horrible the Grongi were, how everyday people were affected, and thus it was always great when Godai came to save the day. Plus Toshihiko Sahashi's music really added to the heroic feel. Abaranger doesn't have those things.

Again, it's not that I don't like the story, I don't like how the show presents it.

Besides, I think that the reason you feel there is less drama in Aba than in shows like Changeman and Gingaman is because those two shows have chosen to have an huge focus on drama, external struggles with very prominent enemies, while Aba seems to voluntary choose to use drama much more sparingly.

Well if that is true, it's a really odd choice to make given what kind of story Abaranger has.

About Ohranger, that you use as an example : Ohranger started as a muuch more grim show than it ended up to be, and it has a military feel, "War of the Worlds" atmosphere that is pretty back when the show stops being wacky. Confict is really very large scale, when Aba has chosen much more individual conflict over large scale war.

True, but that has little to do with my point, which was the presentation of Evolian. Individual conflicts don't have to preclude how your villains come off.

Actually, I do think Asuka/Mahoro is a bit better than Ryu/Rie, at least in the way it's written. However, the presentation of the story, and most everything else in Aba, feels bland and unemotional precisely because of how subdued the show is. Even with Asuka's relationship with the trio; after his "death" we get an episode where Ranru goes out of her way to retrieve something Asuka made for Mahoro because of all they'd been though together. Yet it doesn't *feel* as though Asuka and the trio really had that special a bond. Yukito even said once that Asuka is useless. Asuka's supposed to be the leader/"mentor" of the group, yet he just doesn't do anything that memorable, at least for me.

Yukito saying that Asuka was useless was more showing that he's more about saying brutal truths than about a real dislike. Yukito isn't the kind of guy who loves to show his real emotions. But he's also been brutal to Tricera verbally, but has shown many times what his real feelings are and how much he feels close to him. Saying that the trio doesn't have a close bond to Asuka because of one brutal word Yukito says is unfair.
Besides, if you watch the show, you'll notice that Ranru has a closer bond to Asuka than the two others. So her actions about the Asuka/Mahoro plot makes more sense. And in early episodes, we also see Ryouga trying to help Asuka in some quiet scenes.
That said you're unfair when you say Asuka doesn't do anything special : have you seen many rangers who defeat a giant monster without the help of a giant mecha? Or kill by himself a monster without the help of the team cannon, while the others always use it for the final blow (at least, until Abaremax appears) ? And Asuka's the one to make the power up device for Ryouga to become Abaremax.
And indeed, you're right : Abaranger is more fast paced in its second half than its first, but it's true for most sentai.

Interestingly, that "subdued" atmosphere that you dislike in Abaranger is one of the reasons I love that show, notably, because it makes the dramatic moments stand out much better than in a show where emotional moments happen too often : too much drama cheapens drama, while some strong drama in an otherwise quiet show is more striking because of the shock value and the contrast with the rest of the show.

Sorry if I'm acting like such an defense lawyer for my favorite show and I hope it doesn't annoy you.

Last edited:
I've completed the last four episodes. I have to agree with Shougo that I don't care for the face turn on Mikoto and Ryoga's treatment of him. If it was a dilemma between killing Mikoto to save people (while allowing his half of Dezmozoriya to escape) vs letting him live to keep him sealed in, at the cost of people's safety, that would have made much more sense. But instead everyone decides to feel sorry for him because he had no friends as a kid, and that absolves him of his crimes? And he even gets eulogized by the humans and Bakuryu? That was ridiculous.

Yukito saying that Asuka was useless was more showing that he's more about saying brutal truths than about a real dislike. Yukito isn't the kind of guy who loves to show his real emotions. But he's also been brutal to Tricera verbally, but has shown many times what his real feelings are and how much he feels close to him. Saying that the trio doesn't have a close bond to Asuka because of one brutal word Yukito says is unfair.
Besides, if you watch the show, you'll notice that Ranru has a closer bond to Asuka than the two others. So her actions about the Asuka/Mahoro plot makes more sense. And in early episodes, we also see Ryouga trying to help Asuka in some quiet scenes.

Well I've stated that I don't like the way Yukito is written at times even though I do like him as a character. I suppose I just didn't feel that the bond between the four heroes was expressed as well as in other shows.

On a related note though, I did like Ranru's speech to Asuka and Mahoro in episode 49. Also, it seems that Rije is in fact Asuka's daughter and Dezmozoriya forced Jeanne to "give birth" to her and accelerated her growth. ranru even says the child looks like Asuka.

That said you're unfair when you say Asuka doesn't do anything special : have you seen many rangers who defeat a giant monster without the help of a giant mecha? Or kill by himself a monster without the help of the team cannon,

Plenty of Sentai heroes have done that.

And Asuka's the one to make the power up device for Ryouga to become Abaremax.

It's good you bring that up. The AbareMax arc felt like an afterthought, as in Arakawa and Co. simply did it to satisfy Bandai's demands. Asuka's dream and Styraco both come out of nowhere. Compare that to the Galaxy Lights arc in Gingaman where everything is built up to and it's only at the last minute that you see that it's going to be a team power-up.

I'm not saying every power-up has to be like the Galaxy Lights, but I'm just saying that even though there was a "crisis" like in other shows, AbareMax's debut didn't have much "flare".

And indeed, you're right : Abaranger is more fast paced in its second half than its first, but it's true for most sentai.

Most Sentai have a "middle arc", something big happening in the 30s, and then a final arc toward the end. I felt the first half of Aba was boring and the second half a bit more attention-grabbing.

Interestingly, that "subdued" atmosphere that you dislike in Abaranger is one of the reasons I love that show, notably, because it makes the dramatic moments stand out much better than in a show where emotional moments happen too often : too much drama cheapens drama, while some strong drama in an otherwise quiet show is more striking because of the shock value and the contrast with the rest of the show.

The drama in Aba feels undramatic because of how subdued everything is. Instead of boldly stating what's happening it mumbles it. If the show is lethargic, the viewer will be in his reaction to it. You say there was shock value; I didn't feel that at all. Which is not to say it was bad, i simply think other shows do it better and keep my interest better.

Sorry if I'm acting like such an defense lawyer for my favorite show and I hope it doesn't annoy you.

No worries. I'd probably do the same for something like Ryuki :sweat:

I've completed the last four episodes. I have to agree with Shougo that I don't care for the face turn on Mikoto and Ryoga's treatment of him. If it was a dilemma between killing Mikoto to save people (while allowing his half of Dezmozoriya to escape) vs letting him live to keep him sealed in, at the cost of people's safety, that would have made much more sense. But instead everyone decides to feel sorry for him because he had no friends as a kid, and that absolves him of his crimes? And he even gets eulogized by the humans and Bakuryu? That was ridiculous.

The thing is, the Abaranger are very compassionate people, and even if someone doesn't deserve , objectively, compassion, they're gonna give it to them if they find even a little reason to feel sorry. In fact, giving more compassion to people than they deserve is a classic element in sentai heroes, not just in Aba. When I've watched Abaranger, I've noticed that Ryoga was basically seeing in Mikoto what he wanted to see, even if it isn't the truth. I never felt Mikoto turned good at the end ; more that he was in an "enemy mine" situation with the heroes at the end. Besides, one can only be impressed how he wanted to fight Dezumozorya to regain his own dignity as a human being, showing that he was no tool of anyone, but a free man, even with the evil god inside him. Oh, and at the end he died heroically : your death makes a lot of people forget how bad you were if you die a heroic death.
The Abaranger's compassion isn't more absurd than the Liveman's whenever a Volt member showed even a shred of remorse, or potential of redemption, be it Oblar, Ashura, or even Kemp and Mazenda, even if they were abominable criminals.
Oh, and btw, Mikoto never even tried to absolve himself of his crimes, so it makes the heroes's reaction less jarring.
Besides, at the end, his actions resulted in more good than evil, since he died protecting the Earth, while the heroes were able to stop most of his evil plans.

Plenty of Sentai heroes have done that.

Yes, but I was comparing Asuka to his fellow Abarangers. Besides, what about the "killing a giant monster without mecha"? Plenty of sentai heroes have done that as well?

It's good you bring that up. The AbareMax arc felt like an afterthought, as in Arakawa and Co. simply did it to satisfy Bandai's demands. Asuka's dream and Styraco both come out of nowhere. Compare that to the Galaxy Lights arc in Gingaman where everything is built up to and it's only at the last minute that you see that it's going to be a team power-up.

I'm not saying every power-up has to be like the Galaxy Lights, but I'm just saying that even though there was a "crisis" like in other shows, AbareMax's debut didn't have much "flare".

I think there's another element. Usually, Red is the hero of a show, but in Abaranger, the one with the coolest weapons, the coolest attacks is Black. Case in point the Dino Thruster, with its very cool elemental attacks. Besides, it's also Asuka who has the cool rivalry with the villain, and he often feels more like the protagonist than Red. Given that Red is supposed to be the main hero of a sentai show, the fact his weapons are much less impressive than Black was problematic. It's only with the Abaremax gear that Red manages to match Asuka in strength (and plot wise, with his rivalry with Abarekiller)

Most Sentai have a "middle arc", something big happening in the 30s, and then a final arc toward the end. I felt the first half of Aba was boring and the second half a bit more attention-grabbing.

The drama in Aba feels undramatic because of how subdued everything is. Instead of boldly stating what's happening it mumbles it. If the show is lethargic, the viewer will be in his reaction to it. You say there was shock value; I didn't feel that at all. Which is not to say it was bad, i simply think other shows do it better and keep my interest better.

I disagree with you, but I can understand your point.
However I must agree with you on one point : Abaranger is more fast paced plot wise in its second half, but frankly, it's true for most sentai series.
That said, it's not like nothing happens in the first half : there still is the quest for the Bakuryuu, the start of the Asuka/ Jeanne plot, and the start of the Abarekiller arc.
Btw, at the end, what do you think of Abaranger as a whole. Does its second half redeem somewhat the show?

Last edited:
After a day at home with nothing to do and no internet for most of it due to construction work going on in my building, I'm now up to episode 42. I'm kinda getting the opposite feeling to what most of you have mentioned in that I found the episodes in the early 30s to drag a little, though to be fair that's how most Sentai series feel to me around that point.

Also, I have to mention Regel/Lijewel. Or rather, oh good gravy this actress is awful pls turn her back! I hadn't apprecitated just how good the child actors in this series are until this lady came along.

Random thought: why doesn't Styraco talk when all the other dinos do?

The thing is, the Abaranger are very compassionate people, and even if someone doesn't deserve , objectively, compassion, they're gonna give it to them if they find even a little reason to feel sorry. In fact, giving more compassion to people than they deserve is a classic element in sentai heroes, not just in Aba. When I've watched Abaranger, I've noticed that Ryoga was basically seeing in Mikoto what he wanted to see, even if it isn't the truth. I never felt Mikoto turned good at the end ; more that he was in an "enemy mine" situation with the heroes at the end. Besides, one can only be impressed how he wanted to fight Dezumozorya to regain his own dignity as a human being, showing that he was no tool of anyone, but a free man, even with the evil god inside him. Oh, and at the end he died heroically : your death makes a lot of people forget how bad you were if you die a heroic death.

But it contradicts Ryoga's earlier words of how Mikoto was beyond saying. Suddenly when they discover he's carrying half of an evil god he's sympathized with? That makes no sense. I can see Ryoga being civil toward Mikoto for the sake of basic compassion, but not this buddy-buddy, "let's make paper cranes together" nonsense.

The Abaranger's compassion isn't more absurd than the Liveman's whenever a Volt member showed even a shred of remorse, or potential of redemption, be it Oblar, Ashura, or even Kemp and Mazenda, even if they were abominable criminals.

Yes it is, because the Doctors were originally their friends, and as you said they showed the potential for redemption.

Yes, but I was comparing Asuka to his fellow Abarangers. Besides, what about the "killing a giant monster without mecha"? Plenty of sentai heroes have done that as well?

Actually, the Ohrangers did it in episode 2.

Asuka only does it once though before using mecha like the others.

I disagree with you, but I can understand your point.
However I must agree with you on one point : Abaranger is more fast paced plot wise in its second half, but frankly, it's true for most sentai series.
That said, it's not like nothing happens in the first half : there still is the quest for the Bakuryuu, the start of the Asuka/ Jeanne plot, and the start of the Abarekiller arc.
Btw, at the end, what do you think of Abaranger as a whole. Does its second half redeem somewhat the show?

Well the second half did grab my interest more, but on the whole I can't put Aba among my favorites because of how dull it felt. Maybe my mind will change if I watch it again at some later point (as I did admit, I may have had viewer fatigue after watching four other shows before it), but that's for another time.

As far as dinosaur Sentais go, I will rank Aba over Zyuranger because it does more with the characters and plot. Though Zyu I admit had better action, better music, and a more entertaining villainess in Soga's Bandora. (I like Evolian more in concept but they weren't utilized the way I might've preferred.) Kyoryuger is just tripe, so Aba wins there, no contest.

But it contradicts Ryoga's earlier words of how Mikoto was beyond saying. Suddenly when they discover he's carrying half of an evil god he's sympathized with? That makes no sense. I can see Ryoga being civil toward Mikoto for the sake of basic compassion, but not this buddy-buddy, "let's make paper cranes together" nonsense.
Yes it is, because the Doctors were originally their friends, and as you said they showed the potential for redemption.

You forget that Mikoto was the surgeon who saved Ryouga's life, and that element is a huge part of why Ryouga wanted to be pals with Mikoto.
Besides, Ryouga said that Mikoto was beyond saving in a fit of rage and anger, and at the end of the same episode, he was somewhat relieved that Mikoto survived his very powerful attacks : which means that deep down, he still wanted to redeem him, and the fact he had Dezu's essence in him was for Ryouga what he needed to have even more determination to save and befriend Mikoto, because he would see him as a victim.
Since the beginning, Ryouga wanted to befriend Mikoto, and he was very frustrated (when he said he was beyond saving, he was deeply frustrated (Kuyashii)) not being able to do so, because of Mikoto's nastiness. As soon as Mikoto would have a reason to join them instead of fighting them, it's only natural Ryouga would try again.

Actually, the Ohrangers did it in episode 2.
Asuka only does it once though before using mecha like the others.

Yeah, except Asuka almost never used mechas ... and he used his attacks to create big waves able to carry the robots as well.
You said the Ohranger ... all together, or one all alone? Asuka defeated once a monster only by himself.

Last edited: