How to make a good toei tokusatsu show without being treated as a TOY commercial!

Now that I did some thinking, I don't think making these "ridiculous" themes is the problem, rather the lack of restrain of Bandai.
Um what does that mean?

Just change writers. They are the problem, not toys.

If you are saying the writer is the one that made the silly themes that is fashion I wish someone should fire him and hire some writer who will give a proper suitable and serious theme to any sentai or rider series.

OK I covered a lot of your toy-based points in the other thread so I'll skip them here.

• Let the toei staff along with the writers choose which is the next theme for kamen rider and super sentai using references such as a survey group interview kids on what theme will be suitable for the next superhero.
Themes may be chosen by Bandai at the moment, but that doesn't mean they just pick something at random. They do loads of research (including things like surveys) in order to figure out what would be popular. You don't risk millions of dollars on "well this might work". Not if you expect to keep your job very long.
  • After the theme is chosen the writers should a create a plot suitable to it
Well first of all in toku it's generally producers that make big decisions about story, characters etc and the writers' job is to take those ideas and put them onto paper.

Secondly, do you really think that this isn't exactly what they're trying to do? You can argue about how well they pull it off, but I've never seen any suggestion that anyone working on a series is deliberately attempting to sabotage their show by making something that they know wouldn't work.
  • Audition for actors for the new sentai/rider show
Again, they already do this. Very few actors get their parts without auditioning. Go watch the tokusatsu network's interview on youtube with the actor who played Shoji/Tenmaranger (the blue ranger in Dairanger). He talks about them auditioning thousands of people with multiple callback rounds to ensure they get the right mix of people.
  • Film two episodes before announcing the new show
Filming happens roughly a month ahead of an episode's broadcast. Do you really expect them to go from first announcement through a national media campaign to first episode in 2-3 weeks?
  • Then Let Bandai makes merchandising toys based on the rider and sentai shows based on the theme they chose only.
...and the first toys will come out just as the show ends. These things have a lead-time to get ready. That's why Rider designs are decided upon about a year before the series starts.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with the spirit of what you are saying. It's just the practicalities wouldn't work out.

NonStereoBlack
I actually like the toy catalog system. I want robot toys. A show obssesed in selling them will have better designs than a plot-based show, wich sometimes dont even sell toys.

The new Tendou Souji
Just change writers. They are the problem, not toys.

Kobayashi didn't make OOO have a giant inexplicable plug in his back, just to emulate the toy nor did Urobuchi be the one to say "You know, I think what this show needs is CGI bananas everywhere!".

So no, I don't think it's the writer's fault and that it's silly to think so.

Again, they already do this. Very few actors get their parts without auditioning. Go watch the tokusatsu network's interview on youtube with the actor who played Shoji/Tenmaranger (the blue ranger in Dairanger). He talks about them auditioning thousands of people with multiple callback rounds to ensure they get the right mix of people.

Also, if you watch the "This is Kamen Rider Black" special, it shows Tetsuo Kurata auditioning before getting the role he did.

Themes may be chosen by Bandai at the moment, but that doesn't mean they just pick something at random. They do loads of research (including things like surveys) in order to figure out what would be popular. You don't risk millions of dollars on "well this might work". Not if you expect to keep your job very long.

Yeah that is true but why would they choose fashion it's too common how about they should try maybe smartphones it maybe common but it's similar to ones that happen in megaranger (though it was changed to space theme in its PR adaptation) and Faiz (555)

Well first of all in toku it's generally producers that make big decisions about story, characters etc and the writers' job is to take those ideas and put them onto paper.

Secondly, do you really think that this isn't exactly what they're trying to do? You can argue about how well they pull it off, but I've never seen any suggestion that anyone working on a series is deliberately attempting to sabotage their show by making something that they know wouldn't work.

That is true especially to the BBC show Doctor who it was producers like sydney newman from long ago who come up with the plot and let the writers make the whole storyline heck even showrunners do the same thing.

That could be a problem in other words to find good actors for films and tv shows they needs auditions only main and minor characters that would make great shows,the non auditioning is for extras,selecting actors without auditioning is a problem without audition you can't find good actors suitable for the role.

Filming happens roughly a month ahead of an episode's broadcast. Do you really expect them to go from first announcement through a national media campaign to first episode in 2-3 weeks?

Exactly,It works for american and european production of television shows by filming a pilot which will last one or two weeks then they will announce it to the press media after executives approved the pilot

...and the first toys will come out just as the show ends. These things have a lead-time to get ready. That's why Rider designs are decided upon about a year before the series starts.

Actually the first toys should be made during the first production of the show and i think choosing the design and theme of future rider and sentai series should be used during the middle of the current rider rider/sentai episodes as in June-july or was it august-september.

I actually like the toy catalog system. I want robot toys. A show obssesed in selling them will have better designs than a plot-based show, wich sometimes dont even sell toys.

Well i like plot-based shows especially when they sell toys i mean entertainment is art you know and we don't merchandise art.

Kobayashi didn't make OOO have a giant inexplicable plug in his back, just to emulate the toy nor did Urobuchi be the one to say "You know, I think what this show needs is CGI bananas everywhere!".

So no, I don't think it's the writer's fault and that it's silly to think so.

Then i still think it's better that toei and the writers should be in charge of the themes and the plot for the future SS/KR series and let bandai do the merchandising revolving around it.

Also, if you watch the "This is Kamen Rider Black" special, it shows Tetsuo Kurata auditioning before getting the role he did.

Yeah i know auditions are hard.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Yeah that is true but why would they choose fashion it's too common how about they should try maybe smartphones it maybe common but it's similar to ones that happen in megaranger (though it was changed to space theme in its PR adaptation) and Faiz (555)

How is fashion "too common"? There has never been a fashion-themed Kamen Rider series before (or even a fashion-themed Sentai.) I can't think of an abundance of fashion-themed kids' shows, can you?

Yes that is true but this is one of another reasons why he didn't come back and reprise his role as kuuga.

How do you know that? Odagiri has never indicated that he cares about how many toys are in Kamen Rider. There's no proof. You are making it up. Saying "Odagiri won't return to Kamen Rider because it's too full of toys!" is no more true than if I said "Odagiri won't return to Kamen Rider because he didn't like the rice balls off the catering truck!"

How is fashion "too common"? There has never been a fashion-themed Kamen Rider series before (or even a fashion-themed Sentai.) I can't think of an abundance of fashion-themed kids' shows, can you?

Because 'Fashion' is the clothes we wear why the heck would a toy company use 'fashion' as a superhero theme its ridiculous how would they make it as a superhero theme with "Fashion"

How do you know that? Odagiri has never indicated that he cares about how many toys are in Kamen Rider. There's no proof. You are making it up. Saying "Odagiri won't return to Kamen Rider because it's too full of toys!" is no more true than if I said "Odagiri won't return to Kamen Rider because he didn't like the rice balls off the catering truck!"

Okay so i was just guessing . And like you i hope Joe odagiri will reprise his role one more time for future crossover films if the conditions are suitable for him.

Last edited:
Shyni
Because 'Fashion' is the clothes we wear why the heck would a toy company use 'fashion' as a superhero theme its ridiculous how would they make it as a superhero theme with "Fashion"

This statement itself is pretty ridiculous considering what we've already scene. I will demonstrate by mad-libbing:

Because USB Drives are computer peripherals we use why the heck would a toy company use USB Drives as a superhero theme its ridiculous how would they make it as a superhero theme with "USB Drives"

Because fruits are the plant parts we eat why the heck would a toy company use 'fruit' as a superhero theme its ridiculous how would they make it as a superhero theme with "fruits"

And so on.