Shyni
I recently finished Makai Senki.

In the last episode Kouga says that killing Sigma by himself is something he promised to do, and the latter stares at Kouga's trinket thing as he dies (he tilts his head up as the thing floats out of view, as if following it). Kouga specifically saying that killing somebody was something he promised and a focus on the little trinket things hanging from his coat brings to mind Kouga's group from the training camp in episode 15 who had promised to kill any of them that became a Horror.

But I checked back at episode 15, and everyone in Kouga's group were eaten by the dragon. First "yellow" is chomped along with a kid from another team, then Kouga calls out "purple" and "red" as they die, so Sigma couldn't have been one of them, and I feel like I'm missing something. Sure, killing Horrors and such is part of his duty as a knight, but in this case he says that killing Sigma is something he personally has to do, and he couldn't let anybody else.

That whole episode is pretty bad and pointless. (You just had the climactic battle with Ganon. Just let Sigma be eaten by her and be done with him.) It was just a waste of such a nice-looking dinner to have an over-the-top, gratuitous fight scene.

But I will confess that that bit is a head-scratcher for me too. Maybe that promise extends to anyone who becomes a Horror? Or perhaps Sigma was supposed to have been one of those boys but something got changed behind the scenes.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
Sigma was Murasaki/Purple; there are basically two scenes in the story that you have to mentally connect in order to figure out that it is him.

First, you have to think back to Leo's flashback scene in Episode 19 when he was telling Kouga and Rei about his and Sigma's childhood. There's one scene where Sigma showed Leo that he had learned to use a vanishing/teleportation spell. When he used it, his body was surrounded by glowing flower petals (which appear to be a purple-pinkish colour) just as it vanishes.

Next, go back to the childhood training episode (which is Episode 15), and re-watch the part where Murasaki was supposed to have been eaten by the Horror. After he pushes the other kid out of the way, and just as he screams when the Horror appears to have gotten him, you see anything familiar? Yep, we barely see it for a second or two, but it's the same glowing flower petals, which means that he used that teleportation trick just before the Horror's mouth was able to chomp down on him.

Because of the fact that the childhood training episode aired before the episode with Leo's flashback, at the time that the former originally aired, we the viewers wouldn't have known or suspected or even noticed the flower petals were there or that they meant anything. It was such a small, subtle detail that one would have to be really, REALLY observant to remember about it later on when the episode with Leo's flashback scene aired. I personally didn't put it all together until that scene where Kouga does the "I promised to kill you myself" bit. I was like, "Wait, he made that promise to Murasaki, and he died.

Didn't he??? :O_O:"

Then I went and checked and was all "WTF!??!" to myself. :laugh:

But then the question becomes how did Kouga know Sigma was Murasaki? Did he ever see Sigma teleport? (I don't remember) He remembered that one detail after all those years?

SLICE
But then the question becomes how did Kouga know Sigma was Murasaki? Did he ever see Sigma teleport? (I don't remember) He remembered that one detail after all those years?

It's friggin Kouga- you think he wouldn't remember something like that?

It's hard to say exactly when he realized it, though it's clear he did work it out- considering the type of person he is, and the fact that he's had the little reminder things on his jacket since season goddamn 1, it's pretty easy to assume he never really let it go.

What's important is when Sigma realizes it- and we know when that is. It's a great bit of clever writing, expecting the audience to pay attention and put things together, rather than lay it out THEY WERE FRIENDS FEEL SAD ABOUT THESE TRAGIC EVENTS

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
It wouldn't have been from the teleportation spell, as adult Kouga never knew about that until Leo mentioned it in Episode 19.

In the beginning few minutes of Episode 21 there is a scene where Sigma regenerates his mutated arm that Kouga had cut off in the previous episode. As Sigma grasps his newly regenerated mutated arm, we the viewers and Kouga briefly see Sigma's non-mutated arm, and more importantly, we see a scar on that non-mutated arm. Kouga gasps as he notices it as well, meaning that he recognized it as the same scar that Murasaki showed him and the other trainees in Ep.15 (when they were all showing one another their scars and promising to cut one another down should any of them go bad). Again, it was another one of those quick scenes that only lasts a few seconds. At first glance, we the viewers may not/probably wouldn't have noticed it, but yeah, because it has been established that Kouga is one to notice the small details, evidently he did so again here. He probably just didn't mention anything about it because that wasn't the promise that they made. The promise wasn't to try and turn each other good again, it was to cut down whoever had gone bad.

Shyni
I actually did notice the petals when I looked back at episode 15, but I assumed they were just some random visual like how Leo generated squiggly black lines when he got slashed in the train.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
^
Yeah, at the time, I probably just figured that they were just from nearby foliage that were rustled as the Horror went around the camp like it was a buffet.