MV Maker
I've been on a sentai kick lately and have been looking through the forums of the shows I've now seen. Far and away the biggest complaint I've seen revolves around one thing: character development. I'm not talking about how well-written a character is in an average episode, I'm talking about how they change throughout the series (ie: "dynamic" characters). Most people I've seen (particularly sentai watchers) seem to actively despise simple "static" characters, those who remain unchanged throughout their respective shows (many of the Go-Busters, Kyoryugers, and Kabuto riders come to mind). But honestly, while many of these characters don't change a whole lot, I don't really seem them as unlikable or anything (though some of them certainly were). This goes for Kamen Rider as well, but not as severely (as sentai has the expectation of all their heroes getting relatively equal focus). While dynamic characters are always a plus (particularly for the main heroes), I really don't see a problem with well-written static characters, as long as they contribute something or get the spotlight, but that's just me.

The point of all that rambling is simple: are you fine with static characters, and if not, why?

SLICE
It depends on the series and the era it was made.

Something from the 80s or 70s, I don't expect that dynamic of characters because generally the shows don't have that sophisticated of writing. The people aren't presented as normal people who get super powers, they're over the top personalities- even if it's multiple shades of the same ideal.

The 90s started introducing better character writing, but it still falls down to one of two things.

Does the series need/strive for dynamic characters?

If so, does it pull it off?

A series that has dynamic character ARCHETYPES that don't develop and become static is bad.

Lurker
For me, it really depends on the static character and how well they mesh with the story presented.
For example, Shinji in Ryuki is always this bumbling idiot and it got annoying fast.
Throughout the show, he's still naive and never wants to fight other Riders and constantly falls for the dumbest things.
The plot of the show is rather dark and you would think Shinji would grow out of his naivety as the show progressed.
But nope, he stayed more or less the same which makes no real sense since it seems to suggest that he learned nothing throughout the show.
It wasn't until the very end where he showed some kind of growth, but even then, it came from a scene in the previous episode.
So making Shinji a static character in relation to the show was a terrible move since the plot demanded character development.
Ren on the other hand, did grow a bit as a character, which makes sense in terms of story progression and his interactions with other Riders.

That being said, I still like Ryuki as a show.
I just felt Shinji was a weak lead.

Character development isn't just about static vs. dynamic for one. Depth (layers of the character) and conflict is also very important. So a character who has a lot of depth and conflict despite not growing much works for me.

Gokaiger is one particular series were the fans complain about the lack of character development, but it really had a lot.

On a static character, one of the most obvious ones from recent memory is Gentaro. That dude never changed at all, and I love him for it. Despite all the challenges, conflicts, betrayal, he stood his ground and instead became the catalyst for change for everyone else.

Gokaiger is one particular series were the fans complain about the lack of character development, but it really had a lot

Indeed it had. It was more obvious as a team, and subtler as individuals, but it happened. For a subtle example, see how the over-protective way Luka cared for Ahim in the beginning changed after what happened in the GoGo V episode.
Even Gai had at least a couple of defining moments - first right after he joined, in the Gingaman episode, then at the penultimate episode, that affected his character in some way. I guess some people just don't understand what counts as development...the core of the character doesn't need to change, he doesn't need to become a completely different person. Not every character has a need to evolve as a person. Of course, it's boring if everyone in the show is like that, but that rarely happens.

Anyway, speaking of Sentai, i can't think of a single show where all the core members of a team got an equal share of development. It's pretty unrealistic, almost absurd to expect that...not to mention the Red always got more focus episodes and screentime than the others, so it's unfair too.

On a static character, one of the most obvious ones from recent memory is Gentaro. That dude never changed at all, and I love him for it. Despite all the challenges, conflicts, betrayal, he stood his ground and instead became the catalyst for change for everyone else.

Yeah, unbreakeable characters like Gentaro don't leave much room for growth. That's not automatically a bad thing, especially when he's a strong influence over people around him, and he was.

So making Shinji a static character in relation to the show was a terrible move since the plot demanded character development.
Ren on the other hand, did grow a bit as a character, which makes sense in terms of story progression and his interactions with other Riders.

Watching Ryuki, i got the impression that Shinji stagnated as Ren was becoming more popular, and he needed to remain little more than a "counterpoint" to Ren.
He could be very annoying, indeed, but seeing the way the story progressed, and how he affected Ren up to the very end, seemed like it was a conscious decision, even if a bad one, depending how one sees it. It was a (deliberately?) different choice in Gaim, where Kouta wasn't supposed to have the same effect on Kaito, and the plot needed him to grow out of his ways.

A series that has dynamic character ARCHETYPES that don't develop and become static is bad.

I agree. In the end, it all comes down to this.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
Anyway, speaking of Sentai, i can't think of a single show where all the core members of a team got an equal share of development. It's pretty unrealistic, almost absurd to expect that...not to mention the Red always got more focus episodes and screentime than the others, so it's unfair too.

How is it "unfair" on the Red to expect equal focus or development on the team, when the Red gets everything anyway? :S

It's usually the "secondary" female Ranger and/or the younger team members that get the least amount of focus. Although you get shows like Gekiranger (where all the Rangers but Jan were largely ignored in favour of Rio and Mele) and Hurricaneger (where the main three were often an afterthought to the Gouraijers and Shurikenger)

He never said unfair, he said unrealistic. There's a significant difference.