Women commanders &/or women mentors are rare in Sentai these days.

Wow. Just wow.
- Yes, taking people to safety instead of fighting is "women are weaker". Boi isnt actually the most "male" character, so it just confirms my theory.

So now you have something against Boi? Define "male character". You should certainly never work in EMT with that attitude.

-¿Did I say I want a matriarchy society? ¿Who do you think I am, ValerieSolanasSentai?

Who?

-I enjoy characters as characters, but how theyre represented tells me how their society views them. Theres no strong women in sentai, or a very low ratio, wich tells you a lot about the society itself. Dont try to deny something known in the whole world. Japan is not as euqlity friendly as other countries.

Well sure, if you define "strength" as "man stuff", thereby placing men at virtual god status, then there aren't many "strong women". Actually, even if you did go by that illogic, you'd still be wrong as the 80 and 90s can demonstrate.

-¿Cant japanese guys cook their own food? ¿Why is it that you get asked "do you know how to cook?" after "do you work or study?" when flirting around in clubs?

Because God forbid a potential wife and mother knows how to make food for her children, right? I guess "advanced, civilized" folk delegate those menial inhuman tasks to the savages from less-developed countries, right? Because that work is suited to those subhumans.

¿Why do women have to show their value as cooks to get laid?

Why are respectable women (or men, for that matter) fornicating if they're not married?

¿Do you build and fix furniture to woman to impress them, macho?

Not hearts, as Im not fond of cute stuff

How sexist of you.

NonStereoBlack
you accuse Japan of being sexist just by watching Sentai? there are plenty of strong female characters in J-dramas, where they are portrayed as successful women working in corporate companies and living in luxury. characters in Sentai don't represent the country as a whole.

as far as I know, a lot of young people (including the guys) in Japan leave their parents and live on their own by the age of 20. I'm sure most, if not, all of them would know how to cook their own food. Japan may not have gender equality, but that does not mean they still have that "Women should stay in the kitchen" mentality. I think it's amazing that someone could tell what sort of country Japan is just by watching a 30 minute show every week. :rolleyes2:

No, I accuse Japan of being sexist by being part of a movement for the liberation of women, LGTB and etc and observing empirical evidence. Im not telling how japan is by watching sentai, im telling how sentai is by how its society is. You have the submissive girl characters in ficition ( not toku, FICTION ) because thats expected. ¿Is sentai the only place ive seen girls cook **** for guys in order to flirt with them? NO. Its in every piece of fiction, its in its culture, its in the way my girl was treated when she lived there ( as long as i wasnt around).

Im not saying I hate Japan, I dont understand whats the big deal with accepting it is a country far from equal. Im not bashing it, Im just pointing out.

NonStereoBlack
So now you have something against Boi? Define "male character". You should certainly never work in EMT with that attitude.

Who?

Well sure, if you define "strength" as "man stuff", thereby placing men at virtual god status, then there aren't many "strong women". Actually, even if you did go by that illogic, you'd still be wrong as the 80 and 90s can demonstrate.

Because God forbid a potential wife and mother knows how to make food for her children, right? I guess "advanced, civilized" folk delegate those menial inhuman tasks to the savages from less-developed countries, right? Because that work is suited to those subhumans.

Why are respectable women (or men, for that matter) fornicating if they're not married?

How sexist of you.

Dude, are you trolling me?

-I define Boi as "not as male" POINTING OUT HOW SEXIST THEYRE STEREOTIPES ARE. The "tough guys" fight, the weaker guy and the girl assist kids to safety. Thats the sexist part.

-Google up ValerieSolanas before calling me a pro-matriarchy. I know my ****. Maybe you dont.

-¿Are you dumb? Strong is strong. It has nothing to do with "man stuff" as I am not a sexist pig who would claim something is "man stuff". Theres less girls and theyre characters are weak, damsel in distress, comedically tsundere or villains. THAT IS sexist because thats all they are, not a part of a spectrum of roles. . If you dont see it, im sorry for your problem.

-Women are not defined by being potential mothers, and fathers can cook their kids some food too, while the woman works. ¿Whats that **** about "subhumans"? Dont try to push a label on me. Im a feminist, not a fucking fascist. Theres no point in the last 40 years to not know your **** around doing home stuff, expecting women to do it is simply prehistoric.

-You must be trolling. Why shouldnt people be fornicating when they want to?

-How sexist what, your point of view? Yes.

Dude, are you trolling me?

-I define Boi as "not as male" POINTING OUT HOW SEXIST THEYRE STEREOTIPES ARE. The "tough guys" fight, the weaker guy and the girl assist kids to safety. Thats the sexist part.

Wow, so Boi is weak to you because he's not the "big tough man" like Geki and Goushi. Was Burai weak for saving that little boy toward the end? You make less and less sense the more you speak. Plus you don't seem to know that saving people is the whole point of what they do.

-¿Are you dumb? Strong is strong. It has nothing to do with "man stuff" as I am not a sexist pig who would claim something is "man stuff". Theres less girls and theyre characters are weak, damsel in distress, comedically tsundere or villains. THAT IS sexist because thats all they are, not a part of a spectrum of roles. . If you dont see it, im sorry for your problem.

You're the one who is judging people's worth based on what the "male role" is. Thereby you're placing men on a pedestal in your supposed condemnation of patriarchy.

You have no idea what you're talking about regarding Sentai girls. Do you even watch Sentai?

-Women are not defined by being potential mothers, and fathers can cook their kids some food too, while the woman works. ¿Whats that **** about "subhumans"? Dont try to push a label on me. Im a feminist, not a fucking fascist.

You don't read the Western news much, do you? They're practically one and the same. Also, you have no idea what fascism is based on your statement, just a cartoon caricature of fascism that self-righteous people like to put out.

Theres no point in the last 40 years to not know your **** around doing home stuff, expecting women to do it is simply prehistoric.

Why? Because you say so?

I make my own food and do my own laundry. But I'd still expect a grown woman to know how to do basic housework, if only to demonstrate her ability to live without needing people to do things for her.

-You must be trolling. Why shouldnt people be fornicating when they want to?

No reason not to if they're married to each other.

-How sexist what, your point of view?

Why do you hate cute stuff? Is it too "girly"? That seems rather sexist.

Guillotine Gorilla
You don't read the Western news much, do you? They're practically one and the same. Also, you have no idea what fascism is based on your statement, just a cartoon caricature of fascism that self-righteous people like to put out.
Of course you would subscribe to the idea of "feminazis".

oh man

oh man.

Guys, guys, no need to have flame wars here : HJU threads are there for fun chat, not harsh talk.
Besides, Monoblack has a point : it's a pretty well known fact that Japan has a sexist society, as seen in how when women marry, they're often expected to stop working, especially when they become mothers.
Interestingly, despite being sexist, plenty of Japanese fiction has strong female characters, like the Miyazaki movies, several manga/anime focusing on strong female characters (the manga Noir or You're Under Arrest, for example) ; heck, Edge of Tomorrow, the Tom Cruise movie praised for its strong female protagonist is based on a Japanese manga ; heck, Super Sentai at its beginnings was pretty revolutionary with its strong female heroines at the time.
In fact, it's pretty funny how East Asia, which has indeed sexist societies, has likely much more female action stars than the US and Europe.

Guillotine Gorilla
Guys, guys, no need to have flame wars here : HJU threads are there for fun chat, not harsh talk.
Besides, Monoblack has a point : it's a pretty well known fact that Japan has a sexist society, as seen in how when women marry, they're often expected to stop working, especially when they become mothers.
Interestingly, despite being sexist, plenty of Japanese fiction has strong female characters, like the Miyazaki movies, several manga/anime focusing on strong female characters (the manga Noir or You're Under Arrest, for example) ; heck, Edge of Tomorrow, the Tom Cruise movie praised for its strong female protagonist is based on a Japanese manga ; heck, Super Sentai at its beginnings was pretty revolutionary with its strong female heroines at the time.
In fact, it's pretty funny how East Asia, which has indeed sexist societies, has likely much more female action stars than the US and Europe.

I'd say for every Nausicaä out there is a dozen or so backhanded "heroines" who only serve to reiterate chauvinist values. MomoRanger was revolutionary back when she arrived, but exactly how much progress has been made since is very debatable. Even Edge of Tomorrow I've seen is subject of insidious cliches when it comes to gender representation..

On a slightly related note, think this is an interesting conversation:
http://pastebin.com/WspipaSV

I'd say for every Nausicaä out there is a dozen or so backhanded "heroines" who only serve to reiterate chauvinist values. MomoRanger was revolutionary back when she arrived, but exactly how much progress has been made since is very debatable. Even Edge of Tomorrow I've seen is subject of insidious cliches when it comes to gender representation..

On a slightly related note, think this is an interesting conversation:
http://pastebin.com/WspipaSV

You're unfortunately right, and interestingly, it's a problem that plagues fiction not only in Japan, but everywhere in the world : one has just to check how many movies fail the famous "Bechdel test". I guess it's related to the fact most writers are male, even if female writers have been more prominent recently.
About sentai, indeed, progress hasn't been that impressive when it's about female characters since Gorenger, especially recently, when heroines are more and more written as "cute girls" than as "tough girls" (since Gokaiger, none of the female rangers shown since has really impressed me).

I liked him when he wasn't a god
About sentai, indeed, progress hasn't been that impressive when it's about female characters since Gorenger, especially recently, when heroines are more and more written as "cute girls" than as "tough girls" (since Gokaiger, none of the female rangers shown since has really impressed me).

Well, that's sort of what I meant by the "Megan Fox effect" (for want of a better term.) In recent years, we've often had characters who are presented as tough and powerful because they're physically aggressive, yet they still end up in the same stereotypical female role: love interest, eye candy, "fridged", all three. Koichi Sakamoto is far and away the worst offender here, but not the only one - he didn't create Satonaka or Minato, for instance.

Well, to be fair with Minato, I don't think Urobuchi knew what to do with her by the end. Frankly, she worked best as Ryoma's attack dog/self-centered, conniving she-devil. Heck, even the mild flirting with Kaito makes more sense through that lens, no use in putting all your eggs in one basket, right? Instead... we get a romance more creepy and forced than Padme/Anakin? Okay, THAT was an exaggeration, they at least had moments that kind of worked, and no one mentioned sand.