Women commanders &/or women mentors are rare in Sentai these days.

NonStereoBlack
Black Fang said:
It's funny you say that, considering by and large I can take Japanese superheroines more seriously than most big/small screen American ones. Both may have their fanservice, but the former isn't lecturing me on what they *think* is female equality and ability while using sex appeal to sell that idea. Female characters in toku speak for themselves as far as their worth goes; they have their own problems, but at least they don't revolve around the fact that they're female. They just are.
You must be kidding, right? we even had "damsel in distress" in sentai members. Pteraranger allways takes kids to safety while the guys fight, for example. Just because americans make heroines like "busty fighter whatever" doesnt mean Japan is not still a male dominated society. For christ sake, have you ever seen a girl flirting with a guy in japan media ? giving them cooked stuff and whatnot. Always a submisive position. Im here to make you stuff, acept it senpai. In Gokaiger we see that in the high school chapter ( I always forget that sentai season, the one in wich the whole 5 are high school students)

Black Fang said:
Kruger was male.
Dekapink always says shes the captain , I think I said "leaders", not mentors, but more power to my POV

Black Fang said:
And that demonstrates patriarchy? How many all-yellow henshins were there? Yellow's been more of a girl color in Sentai these days.
Stereotypes asociated with colours and clich'es is NOT patriarchy? Having colours for girls and colours for guys is equality or something?

Black Fang said:
Huh? Rio didn't even acknowledge Mele's existence most of the time outside giving her orders.

haha, I messed up the characters names.

5$ says typo or some other form of mixup...

indeed

Dekapink always says shes the captain , I think I said "leaders", not mentors, but more power to my POV

Like i said, that was a joke. It's like when you give controller 2 to a little kid and he thinks he's the one playing. Umeko was a leader only in her own head, as the others never followed her or anything.

Dekaranger's actual leadership was always covered by Houji or Ban.

NonStereoBlack
Like i said, that was a joke. It's like when you give controller 2 to a little kid and he thinks he's the one playing. Umeko was a leader only in her own head, as the others never followed her or anything.

Dekaranger's actual leadership was always covered by Houji or Ban.

Thats my point. Theres no female leaders in sentai, not even when they "oficially" are. And thats because Japans society is not as developed in terms of female equality.

We need more characters like BoukenPink. Now THAT was a good strong female, imo.

You must be kidding, right? we even had "damsel in distress" in sentai members. Pteraranger allways takes kids to safety while the guys fight, for example.

1) Taking people to safety is being a damsel in distress?
2) I recall Boi doing that from time to time too.
3) You seem to hold the notion of evacuating people with arrogant contempt, with this attitude of yours. I guess GoGoV is worthless to you since everything about them deals with on-the-ground safety.

Just because americans make heroines like "busty fighter whatever" doesn't mean Japan is not still a male dominated society.

First of all, what makes you think a woman-dominated society would be any better than a male-dominated one? Give women credit for being human beings, a failed species such as it is. Anything you hate about a so-called patriarchy won't magically go away with a matriarchy.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of Westerns who want to use sex to sell some cultural/political message about not doing those things. At least with Japan I can appreciate female characters as characters and not poster children.

For christ sake, have you ever seen a girl flirting with a guy in japan media ? giving them cooked stuff and whatnot. Always a submisive position. Im here to make you stuff, acept it senpai.

I had no idea you held culinary arts to such a lowly status. I guess cooking is something only savages are good for, not "advanced" people who're enlightened.

Stereotypes asociated with colours and clich'es is NOT patriarchy? Having colours for girls and colours for guys is equality or something?

Do you wear pink shirts? How about pink underwear? Or stuff with hearts and jeweled litters?

First of all, what makes you think a woman-dominated society would be any better than a male-dominated one? Give women credit for being human beings, a failed species such as it is. Anything you hate about a so-called patriarchy won't magically go away with a matriarchy.

Well, it would look different, just due to the psychological differences between men and women and the differences in their same-gender relations, men interacting with men and women interacting with women.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
It's funny you say that, considering by and large I can take Japanese superheroines more seriously than most big/small screen American ones. Both may have their fanservice, but the former isn't lecturing me on what they *think* is female equality and ability while using sex appeal to sell that idea. Female characters in toku speak for themselves as far as their worth goes; they have their own problems, but at least they don't revolve around the fact that they're female. They just are.

I wonder how you feel about the likes of Inga Blink, Heat Dopant, Tammy from the Shaider Next Generation movie, Erika Satonaka, to some extent Yoko Minato and KyoryuPink? They get a lot of fight scenes that are supposed to sell the character as tough and powerful but just "happen" to show off her legs and/or boobs the whole time. (Granted, most of those characters are to do with Koichi Sakamoto but he's not the only offender)

Well, to be fair on the legs issue, how many women do you know that throw a more than mediocre punch? Again, that low upper body strength is coming into play, women need to kick to keep up, and that inevitably "shows off"(Quote because I don't see it. Then again, I'm not a leg man, so...) her legs. Of course, if the fight is interesting, I'm not looking at her assets, I'm looking at her offense and defense. But that might just be me.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Well, to be fair on the legs issue, how many women do you know that throw a more than mediocre punch? Again, that low upper body strength is coming into play, women need to kick to keep up, and that inevitably "shows off"(Quote because I don't see it. Then again, I'm not a leg man, so...) her legs. Of course, if the fight is interesting, I'm not looking at her assets, I'm looking at her offense and defense. But that might just be me.

My point is these scenes are framed and filmed in a style that makes it clear that this is being done for fanservice, not "realism." We're supposed to view the character as tough because she fights and kicks people around, and this is combined with sexuality in order to "sell" her to the viewer. It's much the same as stuff like Megan Fox's character in Transformers, which is what Black Fang seems to be objecting to.

NonStereoBlack
1) Taking people to safety is being a damsel in distress?
2) I recall Boi doing that from time to time too.
3) You seem to hold the notion of evacuating people with arrogant contempt, with this attitude of yours. I guess GoGoV is worthless to you since everything about them deals with on-the-ground safety.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of Westerns who want to use sex to sell some cultural/political message about not doing those things. At least with Japan I can appreciate female characters as characters and not poster children.

I had no idea you held culinary arts to such a lowly status. I guess cooking is something only savages are good for, not "advanced" people who're enlightened.

Do you wear pink shirts? How about pink underwear? Or stuff with hearts and jeweled litters?
Wow. Just wow.
- Yes, taking people to safety instead of fighting is "women are weaker". Boi isnt actually the most "male" character, so it just confirms my theory.

-¿Did I say I want a matriarchy society? ¿Who do you think I am, ValerieSolanasSentai?

-I enjoy characters as characters, but how theyre represented tells me how their society views them. Theres no strong women in sentai, or a very low ratio, wich tells you a lot about the society itself. Dont try to deny something known in the whole world. Japan is not as euqlity friendly as other countries.

-¿Cant japanese guys cook their own food? ¿Why is it that you get asked "do you know how to cook?" after "do you work or study?" when flirting around in clubs? ¿Why do women have to show their value as cooks to get laid? I thought love and sexual attraction was about charisma, personality , and etcetera. ¿Do you build and fix furniture to woman to impress them, macho?

-I do. Not hearts, as Im not fond of cute stuff, but I wear purple , pink, and very female-y ( in a western POV, ironically japanese guys dress to girly for america, too good im not american) clothes, I even wear man-make up.

-I enjoy characters as characters, but how theyre represented tells me how their society views them. Theres no strong women in sentai, or a very low ratio, wich tells you a lot about the society itself. Dont try to deny something known in the whole world. Japan is not as euqlity friendly as other countries.

you accuse Japan of being sexist just by watching Sentai? there are plenty of strong female characters in J-dramas, where they are portrayed as successful women working in corporate companies and living in luxury. characters in Sentai don't represent the country as a whole.

-¿Cant japanese guys cook their own food? ¿Why is it that you get asked "do you know how to cook?" after "do you work or study?" when flirting around in clubs? ¿Why do women have to show their value as cooks to get laid? I thought love and sexual attraction was about charisma, personality , and etcetera. ¿Do you build and fix furniture to woman to impress them, macho?

as far as I know, a lot of young people (including the guys) in Japan leave their parents and live on their own by the age of 20. I'm sure most, if not, all of them would know how to cook their own food. Japan may not have gender equality, but that does not mean they still have that "Women should stay in the kitchen" mentality. I think it's amazing that someone could tell what sort of country Japan is just by watching a 30 minute show every week. :rolleyes2:

Last edited: