R

raden238

I finally got around watching both the Sharivan and Shaider movies subbed. They are both freaking awesome, I highly recommend everyone who haven't watch it yet to do so.

Sharivan's story was dark and serious in tone. I like how the characters were developed. Especially Kai since he never got the spotlight in SHTZ, until now. It's a good spinoff movie with great action and twists. I also think this was intended for the fans who grew up the original shows in the 80s, because there is a lot of blood and fan service shots of the ladies. I can't see how a little Japanese kid would watch this :laugh:. Great to see the original Sharivan user back again too.

Shaider's story is more comedic which is a nice contrast to Sharivan's. There is a lot of fan service body shots for both men and women this time. I enjoyed this a lot, the comedy was good and the fight between Tammy and Shu was hilarious. They make a great duo. I really wished they would of continue the story with the horror girl into another movie.

I hope this isn't the end of the Space Sheriff Next Gen movies, I really enjoyed them. Gavan's was ok, SHTZ doesn't really count for me. These two were great 1 hour movies that you can watch back to back as a double feature. I hope Toei makes more and expands the Metal Hero universe and do it right, because they screwed up already with Rider. I want to see more of these guys.

Some kind of Beast mode
Just watched Sharivan and Shaider today as well.

To me Shaider was the best of the three. I just have a few things to say.

Hiroaki Iwanaga: It's cool seeing this guy in more toku/media. I never got to fully see his potential as a Kamen Rider because OOO's was not my cup of..anything. As a space sheriff he is awesome, and a slightly fresh take on the goofball, heart of gold character. Plus it always cool to see a fit Japanese hero. Even though I'm not gay I do notice a lot of them on TV tend to be frail, if not frail then they have no form, if no form then they're on the large side. Now at least he works out, and has a right to show off the physique. Yea, there are people who love the look of the frail, I personally find it either funny in some cases or sad. Give this guy a 6th senshi role in a Sentai. I know, he knows, he wants to.

Mayu Kawamoto: 1.) She was super annoying at first, but she got better in the second half. Especially when she turned evil, she damn near flipped the switch for me. Whenever she was serious I was drooling.

2.) They gave her the best choreography out of the whole movie. I can go as far as to say as both Sharivan and Shaider films.
3.) You can tell she has fighting experience outside of film which is sick, and I personally don't see often.

4.) Why do I feel like she is Ami (Kyoryuger) done right? Minus the annoying gf routine. Because they tried to BS some BA tomboy nature with Ami in the begining of Kyoryuger, but I didn't buy for more than a character episode; and character trait in which they dropped anyways! -_-. This girl however had to have auditioned for Sentai before, does anyone know? I'm calling it, she's going to be one of the 40th anniversary sentai senshis.

Kasumi Yamaya: Our solidified future Sentai senshi. It was nice to see a glimpse of her skizzillz. Her smile is killer, i'll enjoy it now since it seems like she'll be a headstrong Pink senshi. Looking forward to it.

Fan Service: Geeez, I have never seen so much in a family oriented toku ever. lol I mean Tammy's got some nice assets, but they showed so much how is the production staff standing there not creeped out by the director? Unless they are comprised of creeps.

AFAIK. It's Sakamoto. The staff is probably Sakamoto-ized.

I liked every major character in Shaider, though and I agree totally with both Mayu Kawamoto and Kasumi Yamaya. It was pretty clear Mayu Kawamoto did a lot of her stunts, aside from that I know nothing about her, while I've never seen a Yamaya role I didn't like so far. It's kinda cute that it's Tammy who's actually physically stronger than Shu, despite Shu being a wrestling nut.

Plus, the music. Brought back so much childhood memories. Got emotional a little with the Dai-Annie photo.

Though that ending was weirdly acted from Commissioner Gordon (lol). And the twist was pretty obvious from the beginning. Though it's probably because Sharivan was the same.

Some kind of Beast mode
Apart of me wants to watch more of Yamaya's work, but at the same time I'd like Ninninger to be my first true impression of her in a main role.

Well, I'm mostly judging her work after I see them, so I don't get disappointed just in case. Frankly, though, I'm usually surprised it's the same person.

So I just finally got done with Shaider. That was a difficult sit - I had to watch it in parts due to how annoying Tammy was. Wow, Shunpei just lost the crown!

I was originally looking forward to the Shaider film more just due to the actor. While everyone else fangirled over Ankh, I always thought that Date was easily the coolest guy in Kamen Rider OOO. Sadly he didn't impress as much this time around. I don't know if he suits the over-the-top comedy so well. It didn't help that ultimately his film isn't about him in the same way that the other film was about Sharivan; It got hijacked by Gavan. The Sharivan film also had the tightest story, with momentum and structure. Horror Girl kinda felt like a build up to nothing - is it just me or has this Space Sheriff revival generally had a problem with weak villains?

Part of me would like to see both of the 'sidekick' actresses again in something else. I get the feeling that they have some talent, but they're stuck in these roles where they're just dopey eyecandy and I just can't tolerate that level of forced cuteness for long. Horror Girl's actress was given something to work with (even if it was mainly monologuing near the end) and that allowed the actress to give more of a performance. I look forward to seeing her as Momoninjer.

And of course, Sakamoto did his usual "pervert's eye view" in every action scene. I've just kinda hit the point where I'm used to having to look away and miss the fighting.

is it just me or has this Space Sheriff revival generally had a problem with weak villains?

It's kind of odd. They seem to want to use the image of the known past villains, like what the All Rider crossover movies do nowadays, but at the same time seem to hesitate to bring them back as actual main antagonists. So, you get all these villains "inspired" by them who are never allowed to shine on their own either.

And of course, Sakamoto did his usual "pervert's eye view" in every action scene. I've just kinda hit the point where I'm used to having to look away and miss the fighting.

To be fair, the original Shaider is fairly infamous for the pantyshots in action scenes. Although, obviously, this was just Sakamoto's own style, and he didn't try to emulate the original directing or anything like that.

Still, I don't dislike these two movies. They aren't among my favorites or anything, but I think they were very average, which is an improvement coming from the original New Gavan movie.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
They seem to want to use the image of the known past villains
And boy howdy did they screw up Reider in Super Hero Wars Z!

>Reider loyal to Mao Psycho

BWAHAHAHAHA NO! Also having Horror Girl come back just to be in Makuu Space as just a head was dumb, they really could have given her a better send off since she was the only villain in Gavan to survive. What really irked me was faking out with Priest Poe, he was second in command of the Fuuma and matched Shaider with equal footing in the Fushigi Zone! And he he survived too! He could have been the grand mastermind behind all this but nope!
And of course, Sakamoto did his usual "pervert's eye view"
I actually never noticed this and I have seen Kamen Rider in its entirety. Does he really have a perverted view or is it straw grasping? Not directing that question at you specifically, TP.

I actually never noticed this and I have seen Kamen Rider in its entirety. Does he really have a perverted view or is it straw grasping? Not directing that question at you specifically, TP.

I understand where you're coming from. It's one of those things that once you notice it, it never goes away :D. Even if before that it was all perfectly fine to you because Japan, the land of pantsu.

I started to notice it during the musical butts scene in Ultimatum (which is eerily similar to Tammy's fight in this).