Status
Not open for further replies.
Lurker
As we all know that TV-Nihon is filled with corporate subbers that translates from Japanese to English with untranslated Japanese filled with it. We want to address this kind of fansub because this is something that pissed me the **** off when I watched Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, along with hideos typesetting and a much more distracting translation notes on top that made me pause the video for about 1 and a half minute to understand what it means. The most infamous one has to be o-baka-chan-tachi and Jesus-sama? What the ****?! Jesus isn't Japanese either!!

Look at these examples:
BUaFz.jpg

tumblr_mhqkddbOGU1s4ltl4o1_500.png

i7hp5.jpg

tumblr_momq15NzoN1s4ltl4o1_500.png

tumblr_mlbwb3uJr41s4ltl4o1_500.png

tumblr_mhjb67wVdK1s4ltl4o1_500.png

tumblr_mvdhofmKEN1s4ltl4o2_1280.jpg

Source: Onore TV-N

Lurker
Hi, I'm a qcer for TV-Nihon, so I'll probably be seen as on their side, but this is my argument.

Most of the pics you posted are old projects, and we don't use "-tachi" anymore.

Also, I don't think the fonts are that distracting. It adds to the mood and although some might be slightly harder to read (like Femushinmu font in Gaim), they're still readable.

You may not like -san or -sama etc, but it keeps the original meaning to it. It shows the level of respect someone gives to another, with the exact tone kept. For example, "oniisan" and "oniichan" would differ in how the person treats his brother (-chan means he adores his brother more, while -san would show a more average level of respect). You can't possibly do that if you fully translate it ("my darling brother"??!??)

If you're interested, you can read up on our guide to honorifics here: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Honorifics
We also have a category where you can readup on stuffs like "sanjou" (it means "I've arrived!" in a cocky manner) http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category:Japanese

Basically, what we do is avoid stuffs commercial translators can't avoid, it's what people call "lost in translation".

Also, don't blame me for past mistakes, I just only joined at around ToQ 7 :)

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
As I understand it, the Japanese *do* add -sama to Jesus's name, like the Christian God is called Kami-sama in Japanese?

I don't speak Japanese, so I can't speak to how accurate their subs are. I do however remember watching their Wizard sub and one episode had Phoenix talking about "the primordial mage." In what universe would Phoenix, who can barely put a sentence together, use a word like primordial?

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
I don't get why people are bothered with translation notes, sometimes they are necessary to understand jokes or puns.

i've been watching tv-n's subs since i became interested in toku. i like the effects added to the subs, and even if some choices may be odd, i don't really get all the dislike.

Otaku University Student
I am terribly sorry if this offends you, but why is this thread necessary? There have been tons of threads that discuss the liberal vs. literal issue (and other translation practices and preferences) already.

Please see: http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?t=75652

I've argued my case in those threads and I'm really tired of repeating the same thing over and over again.

Honestly, this is a pretty touchy issue with many people and this just really fans the flames more than anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.