I liked him when he wasn't a god
It's the same reason why people love Dekaranger, Boukenger, Shinkenger, and Gokaiger. lol :p

I know, right? How VERY DARE people like a series that you think is overrated!

That's pretty much what Kibaranger does, if you change "chews bubblegum" to "grabbing Rin's breasts" and "speaks in English" to "looking up girls' skirts". And he was a sketeboard rider and his final attack was summoning a horrible j-rock metal band. AND he had played young Burai before Kou. Yet, he considered one of the less popular sixth rangers, unlike Shuri Sue.

Simple answer: because Kou is a child. People hate child characters in Sentai. They cannot bear to see children in a show aimed at very young children. That is why there was such a negative reaction to the "10 Years Later" movie positing that Shurikenger had died and been replaced by a random child. No, child!Shurikenger wasn't a great character - but even if he had been, people would still hate him purely because he is a child.

I think a major reason for Shurikenger's popularity is how "samey" the main three Hurricanegers tend to be. They have their differences (Yousuke is more like the stock shounen hero; Nanami is The Token Girl; and Kouta is somewhat calmer and more mature than the other two) but very often, they're presented as much of a muchness. So naturally, the OMG REBEL ANTI-HEROES (Gouraijers) and the flashy Shurikenger stand out more and are more popular.

What really makes me laugh, and not in a good way, is that reportedly the reason for Hurricaneger having just three Rangers on the main team is that the producer thought it would make the characters more "memorable." Result: One of the least memorable, least well written teams in the franchise, yet because of the show's overall success having teams of three has become a regular thing when it in no way should have been

Shurikenger's the Ninja of Ninjas though.

I will give the show credit for having names like Kabutoraiger, Kuwagaraiger and Shurikenger (like Zyuranger and Dairanger did) instead of more "show-color" naming that Sentai's been stuck on since Megaranger, excepting Go-Busters and ToQger.

I will give the show credit for having names like Kabutoraiger, Kuwagaraiger and Shurikenger (like Zyuranger and Dairanger did) instead of more "show-color" naming that Sentai's been stuck on since Megaranger, excepting Go-Busters and ToQger.

Well, bear in mind they're all extra Rangers, and Toei tends to be slightly more creative with naming those (Black Knight, TimeFire, AbareKiller, DekaBreak/Bright/Swan/Master, GekiChopper, MagiShine, etc.) than with Rangers on the main team

...you know, despite the popularity of the character, I'm surprised Bandai/Tamashii Nation hasn't released the Figuart yet.
Considering that other 5 came out, you would naturally assume that Shuriken would get release quickly in its heel; after all, Shinken and Gokai got EVERY rangers released, including power-up forms and additional characters (e.g. Kuroko, Basco&Sully, Warz Gill, etc.).

...you know, despite the popularity of the character, I'm surprised Bandai/Tamashii Nation hasn't released the Figuart yet. Considering that other 5 came out, you would naturally assume that Shuriken would get release quickly in its heel; after all, Shinken and Gokai got EVERY rangers released, including power-up forms and additional characters (e.g. Kuroko, Basco&Sully, Warz Gill, etc.).

Yeah, you would've thought they'd cash in on that with the movie ...

I recall hearing somewhere that the 10 years after thing wasn't due to popularity so much as the director and/or producer wanting to do one. Not sure how true that is, though.

Probably a combination of both - if the cast of a less successful Sentai had asked for a reunion movie, I doubt they'd have got one.

At the time it was announced, DekaMaster's actor said on Twitter that the Deka cast wanted to see if they could get a reunion movie, it'll be interesting to see if they do (Ayumi Kinoshita had a baby earlier this year, but it seems she's already back to work ...)

Lurker
Shurikenger's the Ninja of Ninjas though.

I obviously have no idea who this guy is...so...

OH! his form change was neat, and he's a bit like an ninja'd up Dragon Ranger.
I still prefer the Gouraiger's though. Even had the blue ones jacket for a while...man I miss that thing. Was so cool.

Well, bear in mind they're all extra Rangers, and Toei tends to be slightly more creative with naming those (Black Knight, TimeFire, AbareKiller, DekaBreak/Bright/Swan/Master, GekiChopper, MagiShine, etc.) than with Rangers on the main team

The ones you listed still follow the "show title-designation" format.

I obviously have no idea who this guy is...so...

Huh? You don't know who Shurikenger is?

K

Kamen Rider IXA

It's the same reason why people love Dekaranger, Boukenger, Shinkenger, and Gokaiger. lol :p.
I'm ok with people loving whatever they love.
I just don't get why Hurricanger considered by so many as the best Sentai of 2000s.