Otaku University Student
Well it's not really arbitrary. If the tyre was vertical then the suit actor wouldn't be able to bend at the waist, and if it was horizontal it would get in the way of their arms. As it is, the tyre looks like a sash and it means that they just have to change the chestplate of the suit to show the different ones.

IMO it works better than Fourze's modules did.

The thing is, it appears bulky and cumbersome, especially with the way he must propel his chest forwards to get an attack in (excluding the other powers). The suit actor seems to have issues avoiding the spikes when switching out the shift cars. I kind of wish the tires did more as well visually. Compared to W, OOO and Foruze, the swapped out parts are really minimalistic.

With regard to Fourze, it wasn't so much the concept/placement as opposed to the bizarre functionality of the individual modules.

I guess it just boils down to a personal taste thing...

You're right about it being rushed, but I'd just write that off as Sanjo not quite having the hang of single-part episodes just yet. It'll definitely get better as time goes on. My big problem is that it almost felt like they assumed the audience knew who everyone was (though that could just be because, well, raw).
I got the impression it was written the way it was because it's a two-part episode. Dump everything now, then slow down and take it easy next week - at least I hope that's the idea.

Anyway, I'm... rather disappointed, honestly. I can't think of a weaker first episode for Rider offhand, to that end. The pre-opening sequence was really strong and the premise, setting, and concepts are all really cool. On the other hand, the cast is doing absolutely nothing for me and we're basically just being told everything and being expected to accept this huge dump of info right off the bat. I can only hope part of the plot of this show, or at least the next episode, is explaining some of the various mysteries they've laid out here (namely where the hell all the equipment is coming from and why it has to be a secret, among other things that should be obvious) and maybe Drive ultimately questioning this role that has been forced on him with no explanation, maybe, because I sure am questioning it.

Wasn't too fond of the action either. I like the suit a lot, but the implementation of the gimmicks really fell short. I feel like it definitely could be done well (not unlike how Meteor Storm was really stupid initially but then sort of pulled it off as the show went on), but right now it just comes off as forced... which is really sad considering how natural the show about fruit armor made its gimmicks and the like come off in comparison.

They've laid down a lot of groundwork and the basic stuff here has a lot of potential, but at the same time, I almost feel like Gaim was just a fluke and we're going right back to where we were when Wizard ended - overtly two part episodes (at least this one is flowing into the next one better than many of Wizard's often did, but we'll see how long that lasts), side characters (sans at least the lead girl here) being written to be irrelevant right from the get go, and so on. Just throw in a random victim to only matter for two weeks and never appear again and we'll be perfect.

Yeah, I'm being really pessimistic, but I guess you could say this episode gave me... whiplash. :thumbs:

Oh, the random (and maybe not even intentional?) Kuuga homage was nice. I wouldn't pay it mind normally, but given we have a cop and sidekick duo doing the thumbs ups, I have to wonder.

"Training."
Is it Seiji Takaiwa in suit? Seems like he doesn't know how to portray a racecar driver fighting style. Can't blame him tho. no film or series has portrayed a racecar driver in fight scene, because, well a racecar driver is usually seen driving a car. Perhaps it would be wise for Takaiwa to take a different route and try fighting as a police officer instead.

He isn't portraying a race car driver though. He is meant to emulate Shinnosuke's character, who is a police officer and a laid back cool guy. Right now he seems to be doing a mix of W and Faiz. He even does a wrist flick! :laugh:

Also...the tyre on his chest looks like a seatbelt at some angle...

Yeah, I'm not sure how you could really emulate that with a unique fighting style. It'd certainly be cool, though. I suspect most of Drive's fighting style will rely on abusing the gimmicks, at least while they have the budget for it, though.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the side cast, and while I see where they're coming from, I would remind them that in the last few years we've had the Kamen Rider Club in Fourze and those guys who hung out with Haruto in Wizard. This could have been much worse. Also, yes, the pacing is too fast, but I'm giving the writers some slack, as this is the first Heisei series to have standalone episodes like this.

So far, I'd give Drive an A-

Yeaaah. I disliked Fourze and Wizard as well, not watching more than 10 episodes of each.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Man that gimmick... really have a hard time feeling it. Though I'm getting used to the trains in ToQger so maybe it'll grow on me...

Episode was...nice I guess...but I'll need more to be convinced.

So yeah, episode 1 of Drive certainly throws you in at the deep end doesn't it?

Honestly, enjoyed it well enough but not the strongest of openings. While it's very plot focused, it's a mystery set up so right now we're not getting that much plot. And I'd say the characters in ep 1 were defintiely sacrificed for the plot. Two parter so we'll see how things go, but felt they're a wee bit bare bones. To use a pertinent example, W sets up the mystery, some of the dealer plot, a strong base line for Shotaro and Akiko, and begins the intro to Phillip, lots of character, lots of plot. Drive sets up the mystery, but the character traits we learn are all plot focused. And we learn little to nothing about the other primaries. KRITT is kinda cool though...although i wonder how long he's been sitting in the car without being fiddled with. Don't get me wrong, we've had MUCH weaker openings (none recently...even in Wizard and Fourze) but say Kiva...Faiz...Ryuki to an extent...Blade definitiely (as a massive Blade fan that whole first 10 eps can just...go). It's smack dab on the average line

Fights were fine. Very flashy and cg heavy but grand. Standard entertaining. Although I suggest we ready ourselves for the vanishing of the rider kick in a few episodes.

So ok start, little muddled but decent enough. Bring on Ep 2.