Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
I legitimately enjoyed Wizard and all its fabulous glory.:coolshades:

Lurker

Good for you. While other people are scrubbing their brains with bleach for watching the Beelzebub episode.

In all seriousness though, I would think it'd be a good thing for the Kamen Rider franchise if they did less of the 2-parters. I'm surprised Toei didn't find some sort of sick hybrid of the two.

Last edited:
Blade Adept

*convulses*

I generally enjoyed the Fourze 2-parters. The show's arsenal of side characters attributes a lot to it, often receiving much-needed fleshing out. As does the fact that the occasional fortnight guests would make reappearances down the line, rather than disappear from existence, lending to the idea that through the course of the journey, Gentarou and the KR Club genuinely create a lasting difference.

But Wizard is the 2-parter format at its worst. Sans the rare instances when Koyomi, Rinko and Shunpei have anything worth showing up to the filming set for, beyond usual background hijinks, fortnight after fortnight would be nigh exclusive focus on whoever the Gate is. Sometimes, the Gate is downright unsympathetic, meaning any investment I should have in this one-time character dissipates before it barely had the chance to form. And if I cannot bring myself to care for this Gate's story - on top of the show's feeble addressing of hope and despair (let the fear of death drive you to despair, anyone?) - and if the overarching plot isn't going anywhere, because today Gremlin randomly wants to start a long-winded money scam for some reason, why should I care about any of this?

IF Toei deems that Gaim's lukewarm ratings can be attributed to its serial storytelling format, I also hope at the very least they consider some kind of hybrid. I don't want to completely lose that serial format that allowed me to look forward week after week to the plot going somewhere the next time I tune in. But if the 2-parter is to rear its head again in whatever shape or form (and given that I generally enjoyed Fourze and W, so I'm not of the opinion that there is anything inherently wrong with the format), learn from Wizard's failings. In fact, they can even learn from Wizard's own Beelzebub-Phoenix 4-episode arc. That was a rare brilliant moment in the show when one 2-parter elegantly flowed into the next, before the show decided to sink back into rigid mediocrity.

I've a few things to note about Gaim at the moment, but this will be a topic I will rather save for after the show's conclusion. You can probably guess what I might say (ahem, Jounouchi), but the issue of the bikes is currently rather pertinent for me. Though underuse of bikes has been the case since Blade, Gaim has managed to make me forget for a short while that the bikes even exist. Without the need to enter Helheim these days, characters have a bizarre tendency of having to RUN everywhere, even when there's an emergency. Like say, when an ally of yours is in a life or death match against a misguided former friend. Especially when Lock Vehicles are so portable, and even grow on trees.

R

raden238

The 2 parter formula was getting stale. It was time to take a break and thank goodness Gaim gave that break to us. For me the best series that used the 2 parter formula was W. It made the most sense because the show was a crime/mystery drama so the first episode would establish the case and guest characters and then you would tune in next week to find out the culprit and resolution. Every other Rider series that used this formula failed. Den-O and Kiva didn't really bother me as much and I didn't feel like OOO was using the 2 parter formula at all when I was watching. But Fourze and Wizard was just horrible. Some of Fourze's episodes sorta hard a mystery theme to it but just didn't need it. Wizard was just so boring. I really wonder how different Fourze and Wizard would have been if they didn't use the bi weekly guest characters/ MOTW/ 2 parter formula.

But Wizard is the 2-parter format at its worst

s[/U][/I].

The 2 parter formula was getting stale. It was time to take a break and thank goodness Gaim gave that break to us. For me the best series that used the 2 parter formula was W. It made the most sense because the show was a crime/mystery drama so the first episode would establish the case and guest characters and then you would tune in next week to find out the culprit and resolution. Every other Rider series that used this formula failed. Den-O and Kiva didn't really bother me as much and I didn't feel like OOO was using the 2 parter formula at all when I was watching. But Fourze and Wizard was just horrible. Some of Fourze's episodes sorta hard a mystery theme to it but just didn't need it. Wizard was just so boring. I really wonder how different Fourze and Wizard would have been if they didn't use the bi weekly guest characters/ MOTW/ 2 parter formula.

They should have stick to 1 parter the franchise never used a 1 parter like its showa era counterparts did i think the anniversary season should need one.

I like 2-parters if they are done right. But in Wizard you often felt that the writers would drag out the plot JUST to have a 2-parter.
I know that the good guys will always win, but sometimes its nice to have some unpredictable battles before the big showdown.
But nope, in Wizard it was always the same:

Part 1: Wizard uses his finisher on the MOTW, but something happens and the MOTW escapes.
Part 2: Exactly the same as part 1, except Wizard is not interrupted.

I would be okay with it if it was like in Kuuga, where Godai would get beaten by the MOTW in one episode, and then he would use the next episode to find a way to get stronger.
In Wizard it was always "Aw, he got away... Okay, better go home and pick up a new toy... I mean ring to use in the next episode"

Lurker
Your harps have been on crossovers and movies, both of which aren't part of main continuity (at least they don't appear to be, whatever TOEI marketing team screams at us about what is canon and what is not notwithstanding)

I wouldn't really directly relate it to the show and it's writing, as it's not the part of it.

But yeah, nothing is perfect. Citizen Kane is considered one of the Greatest if not THE greatest movie of all times, yet it's entire narrative can be undermined by a massive plothole that movie contains. Yet it doesn't take away from the strengths of the movie, because that's not the point...
Lazy Movie Rider Designs and out of place crossovers, that can be easily skipped if one so desires and only really matter during initial run, because they make you wait 2 weeks for the story continuation, instead of one, do not really take away from Gaim's actual strengths.

basically all of the crossover episodes which there are only like 3 of them aren't even apart of the main storyline making in essence non-canonical material, and while those episodes can be fun i see where people have gripes they do all the time with filler and sometimes episodes that feel like nothing and gaim has not status-quo you know the series so far has been amazing

Shunpei, Nitou, Gremlin, Donut Man, Rinko's failure to be substantial, stupid cops... all are the very antithesis of "fabulous glory". :shakefist

Wizard tried to cross Agito and Ryuki and lived up to neither.