While Go-Busters experimented with different ideas, they forgot who the target audience was. While some think that dark is better, it wound up being condemned by Bandai, to where Saban can't even use it for next year's Power Rangers. At the same time putting Sentai on probation.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
While Go-Busters experimented with different ideas, they forgot who the target audience was. While some think that dark is better, it wound up being condemned by Bandai, to where Saban can't even use it for next year's Power Rangers. At the same time putting Sentai on probation.

On probation??

Enter resonates because he's the poor low-level employee who manages to get results despite all odds and is still chewed upon by his crazy boss who does absolutely nothing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I find it hard to pinpoint why I like Enter so much! Maybe because the show gave me a chance to like him (he was smart and scheming, had a cool edge to him, but he was also hilarious) before it started trying to make me feel for him. I never felt like I did with say, Candelira or Rio and Mele where the show metaphorically has a gun to your head telling you to LIKE THIS CHARACTER OR ELSE.

All it takes is one condemnation from Bandai to affect the entire franchise. Which is why Kyoryugers & Toqgers gone back to what the target audience is use to. At the same time, it's hard to come up with risky ideas without another strike. Which is why it feels like being on probation.

The leather is good because it was different, something Sentai designs have been starving for. Seriously, it's pretty much the same suit each year, just a new helmet and paintjob. I mean, it really says something that Kyoruger adding a shoulder pad or Gekiranger's lack of belts can be considered massive departures. I mean, you look at Kamen Rider for example, and you can see just how stunted Sentai designs are by their adherence to formula. Just look at the difference between, say, Gaim and Wizard and you can immediately see how massive a change there is, with Gaim's battle armor vs. Wizard's longcoat.

Kamen Rider Klock
Despite it's flaws, I really liked Go-Busters. Not because it was more serious, but because it did things differently than most Super Sentai. It had some memorable villains and two awesome characters in Jin and Beet J Stag.

The leather is good because it was different, something Sentai designs have been starving for. Seriously, it's pretty much the same suit each year, just a new helmet and paintjob. I mean, it really says something that Kyoruger adding a shoulder pad or Gekiranger's lack of belts can be considered massive departures. I mean, you look at Kamen Rider for example, and you can see just how stunted Sentai designs are by their adherence to formula. Just look at the difference between, say, Gaim and Wizard and you can immediately see how massive a change there is, with Gaim's battle armor vs. Wizard's longcoat.

Yeah..they do wear differently but still i wish leather could be used for future sentai seasons.

Despite it's flaws, I really liked Go-Busters. Not because it was more serious, but because it did things differently than most Super Sentai. It had some memorable villains and two awesome characters in Jin and Beet J Stag.

Yeah too bad there won't be other similar sentai shows that match go-busters.

Mad Skillz
What's good about leather or bad about spandex, though? I just don't get it

I think a lot of it is just that the it comes across as a natural evolution of what was possible from decade to decade. People want something that looks more realistic in a superhero design - one of the reasons Hollywood movies go for heavily armored looks these days. Sentai managed to strike a balance of giving that realistic design while still having the unique superhero flare. The suits have this heft to them that you can't get with spandex on its own. This isn't a knock to spandex because, hell, I love that as well in a Sentai design, but each material is each capable of something that the other isn't.

Granted, it seems like hell on the suit actors, but I loved the idea of giving the Sentai aesthetic change that was fresh and felt like just the next evolution in Sentai. The major drawback here is that Go-Busters was the series with the task of carrying that look. When you look at the Go-Busters designs on paper, they are very vanilla and low key. I've always felt it would have been cool to see that material stick around and see what it would look like on a more traditional suit design.

Last edited:
R

raden238

I don't get what was "dark" about Go-Busters?? Please anybody tell me what was dark about it. Ok when I was watching the series, I thought they were gonna go the cliche route and Hiromu and Yoko's parents would come back from Hyperspace and they live happily ever after, but they stayed dead. Jin also died too but it wasn't dark and graphic in any way. It was more of a peaceful spiritual death to me. Compared to 80s and 90s Sentai where there actually was on-screen deaths of humans and a bit of bloodshed. I felt that was just an excuse by Bandai and Toei to cover up the failure of the Go-Busters toy sales, which in itself I don't understand. Japanese Kids buy more when there are collectiable items to collect as oppose to just a standard DX toy releases every few months??? Where do parents see this at?? What happen to less is more??

I think the real reason why Bandai told Saban to skip Go-Busters might have to do with the toys themselves. Since none of the Go-Buster Mecha is a Zord Builder esque design (detachable limps etc..) and are basically parts formers where you mostly move around and stick em together. Saban and Bandai America probably felt that was too much to manufacture and reproduce.

I don't get what was "dark" about Go-Busters?? Please anybody tell me what was dark about it.

The show started out with one personal goal for the main characters, a source of optimism. Not only did they epically fail at achieving that personal goal halfway through, the rest of the way they lived with the idea that when they do manage to fix whatever was left to be fixed, one of them will be gone forever.

Is that really much different from the things Flashman, Liveman, Jetman, Dairanger, or any other number of shows did, though? People talk as though Go-Busters tread uncharted X-rated waters or something.

Last edited: