Super Megaforce - Do the 'pre-zyu' powers kill it for anyone?

The Golden Wizard
Only die hard fans would recognize or even know about the pre-Zyurangers teams. Prior to the internet being the informational giant that it is today. If you didn't grow-up in Japan. You had no ideal that "Power Rangers" was based off of a children's show which aired in Japan. Many people still don't and I know that the majority of kids that watch it now. Don't either.

Look at how everybody believed that the "White Ranger" was just Tommy's new power. Not even having a clue that he was originally the sixth ranger for a totally different team.

So when they just leave things in and don't even have the courtesy to explain them. It's obvious the fans are of little concern to anyone over there. What, Saban didn't want to pay the "extra money" needed to edit those parts out.

So when they just leave things in and don't even have the courtesy to explain them. It's obvious the fans are of little concern to anyone over there. What, Saban didn't want to pay the "extra money" needed to edit those parts out.

I know on Rangerboard they mentioned before the Sentai suits started showing up that they were edited out. It was also mentioned there that in some episodes where the Sentai suits showed up that some were edited out and others weren't.

The Golden Wizard
I know on Rangerboard they mentioned before the Sentai suits started showing up that they were edited out. It was also mentioned there that in some episodes where the Sentai suits showed up that some were edited out and others weren't.
That's the same thing I heard too. But we both see that is truly not the case. :nono:

Like someone wrote earlier. They could've just wrote in a half ass reason. As to why we're seeing all these unknown ranger suits. :disappoin

Is not impressed right now...
Slowly i think that those phrases that the people post in here (like "it hurts the continuity!" and "it´s too confusing" and other stupid stuff that i did read in here) are nothing more than just straw man arguments and it makes me really sad.
SB most likely just wanted do accomplish 2 things with the inclusion of them:
  1. Give a little nod to the sentai and a little present to the "superfans"
  2. Expanding the PR universe (they already hinted multiple times throughout PR History that there are other rangers/rangerpowers on other planets in the galaxy/hidden in the morphing grid than just the ones we know/already saw - hell, we even had at least 3 different PR series where the rangers got their power because somebody hacked the morphing grid!)

The only thing that was not so smart about having them included in there was that SB didn´t give them proper names.

BUT THEY STILL CARE ABOUT THE FANDOM! It really makes me sick to read that they would not care about it, just because they don´t dance to the fandoms bidding instantly everytime it whines about something it has a problem with.

If anything makes SB not careing about the fandom anymore, it´s arguments like this, because it makes the fandom look like unthankful and entitled brats who only think of what is good for them instead of thinking in the bigger picture.

Oh, look, more of the same "I'm too cool to criticize the show, but let me complain about everyone else complaining" shtick you've been doing for years.

Lurker
BUT THEY STILL CARE ABOUT THE FANDOM! It really makes me sick to read that they would not care about it.
i don't think so. A lot of actors that I'm sure would love to return and be a part of the 20th anniversary. But they either weren't invited at all or turned down due to finance and/or budget restrictions.

So pretell why they still care about the fandom when majority of the rangers, that us fans would looove to see back, ain't coming at all due to the budget and yet we all have a movie probably with a new cast and is a reboot of the original mmpr that none of us asked for?

...from the looks of it, they could careless about the fandom. they care more about the money if you ask me

Last edited:
I honestly don't get some of these complaints.

When I tuned in to Super Megaforce and saw that it actually kept some of the pre-Zyuranger outfits, my jaw dropped. After literally decades of American adaptations being in denial that Japan even exists (remember when anime dubs used to remove all Japanese cultural references?) I saw it as a positive sign that things were changing for the better.

As for the complaints that it makes no sense from a Power Rangers continuity... as someone else pointed out, the show established several times that there are Rangers active in other worlds. Original MMPR had the Alien Rangers, Lost Galaxy implied that Rangers existed thousands of years ago, and then there's that one episode of Dino Thunder that outright acknowledged the Japanese sentai existed.

So why can't we just say "Oh this must be some alien Ranger suit we've never seen because we don't live on Namek?"

Honestly, my one gripe with Super Megaforce is how the team is all goodie-goods (as per PR tradition) whereas the original Gokaigers were kinda anti-heroes. But that's a very minor complaint.

I thought I'd return to this topic now that I have a clear head to think about it. Honestly, I am surprised people here kept making comments after the show took a long hiatus.

After hearing that Shout!Factory is bringing us ZyuRanger, it has lightened my burden with Power Rangers. Once I have a copy in my hand, I will be able to make peace with Mighty Morphin' S1. But you know, hearing that this is happening, it makes me think that Saban finally let it happen. I am sure Saban still has the legal rights to Super Sentai in America, including ZyuRanger, so Saban must have been convinced to throw the fans a bone after all these years. Which makes me think...

What if the pre-Zyu Powers are actually some kind of subtle marketing ploy? When Figuarts made things like Jetman figures, Bluefin actually helped bring them over here even though Jetman was never on TV in America (weren't these figures being sold in Toys R Us stores?). Maybe, if the ZyuRanger DVDs sell well enough, Saban and Shout!Factory will try to bring us more titles on DVD, including pre-Zyu Sentai titles.
...Okay, I admit, that's a really far stretch, but it's a really nice thought. It wouldn't help the show's continuity, but it's still a nice though.

But for now, I don't know what to feel. Power Rangers is their brand. They created it. They wanted it back after letting Disney have it for a while. At their very best, they can make awesome adaptions like Lost Galaxy.
THEY SHOULD KNOW THE FINER DETAILS OF THEIR OWN CONTINUITY!
I am still going to watch this show and ride this out to the very end. But it's still really weird.

Some have said that it's a friendly nod to fans of Super Sentai, kind of like what happened in Dino Thunder. Is there really a good way to do that? How does doing that help Power Rangers at all? I don't see what happened in Dino Thunder as a good thing. They showed us part of AbaRanger, called it Japanese Power Rangers, and implied that the American show is the original. To me, that's right on up there with pretending there is no Japanese show at all. Children and fans who don't know any better might just think the AbaRanger clips were made in America as a joke. In one hand it gives a nod to Super Sentai and subconsciously puts the idea of the source material in our heads, but disrespects it to make Power Rangers look better in the other hand. Showing the Pre-Zyu powers without even a simple throw away line to explain them is lazy, but I guess not as insulting.

In short, if it's all just a nod to us Sentai fans, I guess it's better than throwing in some adult humor into kids movies for the parents who have to watch it with them. But it's a nod that just falls on def on ears. It's basically Saban saying "Hey! Remember Super Sentai? Yeah. That's a thing that happened. Power Rangers exist because of it.", to which the average person would reply "No, we don't remember that thing, because it never happened here! Remember? You made sure it didn't happen here."

It's Judgement Time!
I seriously wish I could believe that the writer or director did it intentionally but I don't think they were clever enough.

we've seen nods before (Lost and found in Translation) and I think subtlety is a concept not known to our current production team

Bandito Shake Cometh
The 'New Powers' had to be an accident they just rolled with... it's the only plausible explanation my brain can conjure up...