I liked him when he wasn't a god
Can't say I'm surprised. I started to smell "glorified V-Cinema" as soon as I found out Kento Shimoyama was writing. Shimoyama is a guy who should be heading a Sentai season, not trying to update something like Kikaider.

I know very little about Sentai writers and even I thought it strange a guy who so far has only worked on Sentai/Rider as a secondary writer (and on some not-so-great episodes at that) was being given this movie to write

I also feel like it shows a lack of confidence that Toei felt the need to promote this movie with a guest appearance in Gaim? It's not like Gavan which doesn't quite have Kikaider's following and had not been seen for about twenty years ...

Guillotine Gorilla
I also feel like it shows a lack of confidence that Toei felt the need to promote this movie with a guest appearance in Gaim?

I'd say its less lack of confidence and more "LOOK AT THIS MOVIE GIVE US MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEYYY".

So i guess kikaider reboot didn't go well in the top box office so how is its reviews mixed or negative ,by the way what are the plots in the film. Its okay i can deal with spoilers that Kyujiro Maen the one played by the original kikaider Daisuke Ban might be the teacher of Dr. Nobuhiko Kohmyoji (reboot version) or must be Mitsuko and Masaru grandfather ( i think) .

A friend of mine told me that some of the people on 2chan thought the movie was pretty bad. I guess bad word of mouth hurt this movie.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I'd say its less lack of confidence and more "LOOK AT THIS MOVIE GIVE US MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEYYY".

Yes ... but it still doesn't show much faith that the property could stand on its own

I wonder if like Gavan it was hurt by the nostalgia factor? The people who remembered it would show a preference for the original cast, and new audiences don't have much reason to care about these characters (IIRC, the crossover gave Gaim a slight ratings increase that week but it doesn't seem it did the movie any good)

A friend of mine told me that some of the people on 2chan thought the movie was pretty bad. I guess bad word of mouth hurt this movie.
So i guess its all negative reviews well if it does then too bad for that film though at least its theme song is nice if i could listen to that .
Could you soil me the whole plot of this film even though its bad.

Yes ... but it still doesn't show much faith that the property could stand on its own

I wonder if like Gavan it was hurt by the nostalgia factor? The people who remembered it would show a preference for the original cast, and new audiences don't have much reason to care about these characters (IIRC, the crossover gave Gaim a slight ratings increase that week but it doesn't seem it did the movie any good)
I guess that's the problem with the current generation including a country like japan in these current times they just don't want nostalgia things they want new ones which are new original ones rather than the sequels or indirect sequels of old shows or 'reboot' ones or as if the art of tokusatsu is going to extinct eventhough legendary pictures of Godzilla looks great and will be the possibility of the reemergence of tokusatsu films.

One of Toei's problems these days might be the trend of high budget western super hero movies that are just becoming more and more common. Without any nostalgic appeal, their movies really can't stand up to those in production value. That's likely why they aren't just making movies about never seen before heroes.

I thought with Kikaider they might have a chance, considering how its a propriety that has never truly disappeared, unlike some other ones, but it seems like it didn't have much of an impact in spite of that. If they want to launch new proprieties or relaunch old heroes, at this point, they really should attempt to do it on tv...

Last edited:
If they want to launch new proprieties or relaunch old heroes, at this point, they really should attempt to do it on tv...

That's true it works with kuuga so maybe they should try to relaunch old heroes and make new heroes in television instead not as films i mean this isn't the ZO era you know.

Is the justification for not making new TV entries in older Toku partially because Toei doesn't want competition for Rider and Sentai around their timeslot?

Last edited:
Is the justification for not making new TV entries in older Toku partially because Toei doesn't want competition for Rider and Sentai around their timeslot?

Maybe,But i think its better that maybe toei should make new a new original heroes franchise that new generation families and kids would love i mean how hard does a little competition against rider and sentai franchise would do.