Toku shows that are despised by the fandom that you love or think are ok

My only exposure to him were the Shinkenger and Gokaiger crossover movies and in both, he seemed pretty f*cking badass for a "meek" angel (for example when he faced the Faceless Hordes untransformed). I like him.

In the series, a typical scenario with Alata is that:
1. He figures out something, somewhat close to the beginning of the episode.
2. Tells his teammates that he has an idea, but he's not sure, because it's just his intuition.
3. Lets stuff happen. Probably waiting for his teammates to stop going in the wrong direction and/or figure out that their youngest teammate is actually the smartest one among all of them. Something they should know because they're not idiots and it happens a lot.
4. Everything ends up going south, and he has to do what he thought of in the first place anyway.

It doesn't happen all the time, but a Red who doesn't immediately step up to the plate is rare, and I think that's what turned people off. He's the polar opposite of Daigo.

[HIDE]This is particularly highlighted in the "Who's the leader?" episode. That episode ended up with everyone deciding that each of them puts something on the table, and that there's no real leader, but no one realizes that they did pretty much what Alata wanted to do in the first place.[/HIDE]

I personally think he's great. It reminds me of me in class where I wouldn't stand up to recite until everyone in my class has had their turn being wrong.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
3. Lets stuff happen. Probably waiting for his teammates to stop going in the wrong direction and/or figure out that their youngest teammate is actually the smartest one among all of them.

Isn't Moune the youngest? Even without the ages Toei gave them in supplementary material (Moune - 17, Alata and Agri - 21, Eri - 22, Hyde - 24) I'm pretty sure she was the only one who referred to herself as a child ...

EDIT: A lot of people are saying Faiz, and I have to agree. It doesn't strike me as "despised by the fandom," though.

It doesn't get the outright frothing hatred some shows get, because there's not a lot of discussion of the show in general. But when it comes up, the reaction is typically negative, or at least with heavy criticism of its writing (because it's pretty much a perfect "bingo card" of all the problems in Inoue's style - just about the only thing it's missing is romantic melodrama.) I still like it, though, despite it having so many elements I would usually dislike. I also think people are easier on it because it comes under the "early Heisei" umbrella and there's a feeling with a lot of the fandom that everything that came before Hibiki was better than everything after it

Last edited:
Isn't Moune the youngest? Even without the ages Toei gave them in supplementary material (Moune - 17, Alata and Agri - 21, Eri - 22, Hyde - 24) I'm pretty sure she was the only one who referred to herself as a child ...

Probably, I'm not sure as well. I'm sure he was younger than Eri, but Moune and Agri tend to act around the same age that I'm not sure which of them is older.

Lurker
Sentai-wise, count me in on the Go-Onger and Goseiger lovers team! Go-On was very fun to watch, (I absolutely love the puns) and the characters are lovely. The songs are very cool IMO, and I often caught myself singing along to the mecha themes for example.
Gosei was a little hard to get into, I think I dropped it for like 20 weeks. But, when I came back, I found that Brajira was a pretty interesting villain, and that the Goseigers weren't as stupid or dull as I initially thought.

As for Rider, I can't really find a rider series I haven't liked. Kabuto is full of plotholes and Tendou is a dick? I don't care. Kiva is a mess, including Wataru going from hikkikomori violinist to outgoing cool guy with lots of friends? Yeah, but I still love it. Den-O is full of slapstick and puns? Oh my god, so much fun! Decade has no plot? It has crossovers, c'mon! Even Wizard, the single most awful mistake in Rider, had its moments. Phoenix was a great villain, shame he got killed off like that. And you can call me crazy, but Nitou and his mayonnaise were, to me, funny.

Den-O: It was my first Rider series, and it's not my favourite by any means, but I enjoy it well enough and I would recommend it to others. I think, to be honest, that a large part of the hate directed at it comes from people who desperately want to convince themselves that Kamen Rider is an adult show, like Hannibal with henshin heroes.

Go-Onger: Again, not - going to be winning any awards from me, but it was fine. It didn't make me wish for a swift death just to make the boredom end like Gobusters did. I would watch it again.

Fourze: I thought Fourze was pretty great, to be honest, even if it does kind of start to fall apart on itself after the Aries arc. It's not flawless, but I liked it. Again, I think the Game of Thrones on motorbikes crowd is the source of a lot of its hate.

Garo Makai Senki: A lot of people say that the first Garo was a lot better, and I disagree, I think Makai Senki is a better series by several orders of magnitude.

Blade Adept
Kamen Rider Blade - I've noticed it's been receiving a lot of flak lately. I won't lie: I loved the melancholic and somewhat uncertain ending. Kenzaki has just done what I personally believe to be one of the most noble and selfless things I've seen in Toku despite no guarantee of Hajime ever going to permanently rein in his Joker side again. It's had missteps and it has made odd decisions, but it firmly remains one of my favourite Rider shows, and the last one to extensively make use of the bikes.

Kamen Rider Fourze - How can you like this?! It's too childish!! The concept of friendship is taken almost too literally!!! Ohsugi fucking sucks! I just want to strangle Yuki until her screaming head pops out!! This fucking Gentarou with his punkish Pompadour and his stupid, stupid looking Fourze suit!

...the whole list goes on in terms of all the exasperated vitriol Fourze got. And yet I enjoyed it far more than I enjoyed OOOs, and certainly more than I ever enjoyed the joyless Wizard. It has character, it has personality, it is memorable and warts and all, I'm fond of the show for having consistently given me something worth watching and to enjoy week in and week out. It isn't a show that passionate detractors will change their mind about, but I had a blast and I'm glad that this series exists.

Boukenger - It was the first Sentai series I properly sat down and watched all the way through, so I may chalk this down to that first exposure effect. Akashi seems widely disliked and I acknowledge that he's a bit of a dick when he rationalises everything as a "oh it's totally fine guys. I know we may be inches from death, but this is an adventure!", but he continues to remain one of my more favourite Reds. There's something enticing about having a new artifact per episode with a vaguely-explained myth behind it, though Overdrive had the right idea of trying to link these artifacts together as part of a much bigger puzzle. That would have encapsulated more effectively that this was an adventure with tangible progress being made. The Eiji arc with the Ashu/Questers remains one of the best sixth ranger arcs I've seen yet.

Go-onger - It's not that bad, once you get past the type of divisive and unremitting comedy it seeks to plant right into your face. I slogged through every episode and even I got to the end thinking that my time was still moderately well spent. There's plenty to complain about Go-onger, but there's still plenty to like about it, particularly everything to do with Hiramechimedes, the Gaiark Ministers' chemistry in general, and the hard-hitter moments with the the rusting of Sosuke. And umm, the musical number episodes are...kinda my guilty pleasure. >.>

Goseiger - The show makes up for the unbelievably dire first two arcs with Matrintis, and ultimately the Brajira arcs. It's where the best episodes are, from the aforementioned episode exploring the idea of who actually leads the team to GoseiKnight's own arc to...well everything related to Brajira. The fact that they've been able to create a villain as engaging and interesting to watch as him despite being just a number of rubber suits is rather extraordinary. Perhaps not as obvious, is the cleverness when it comes to the monster nomenclature. To name each of them after a film related to their faction and/or their own characteristics allows the viewer to just sit through an episode and try and work out how a particular monster is related to his or her namesake movie.

I like most of the Toku I've watched. The ones I didn't belong in the sister thread to this one though.

Of the ones that I've liked that are universally despised...Decade.

I can't help liking Decade, despite the incredible injustice it did to its predecessors, horrifyingly appalling plot problems and...the abomination that is Kuuga Rising Ultimate...I still like it...mostly...except for that last bit.

It had a flair and a style that I really enjoyed. The music, the camerawork, the characters, they all came together in a way I enjoyed watching even as my brain rebelled against it with its every fiber. Plus I have a soft spot for arrogant characters like Tsukasa and Tendou. Fuckin' love Tendou Souji.

I've seen a lot of people disliking Zyuranger, but i liked it. I feel like people bash it because it started mmpr, but it was my first sentai and it got me to stay interested in sentait. I guess people also disliked the child of the day format, but i feel it got a whole lot better once burai showed up. But I also like All monsters attack/Godzillas revenge, so maybe my taste is just strange? haha

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Probably, I'm not sure as well. I'm sure he was younger than Eri, but Moune and Agri tend to act around the same age that I'm not sure which of them is older.

She always called Agri "onii-chan", so yeah, I guess he's older ...

Wait, Kamen Rider Fourze is hated by the fandom? ****, add that to my list. In my personal opinion, it is easily the best Rider show since Den-O (which you can probably add to my list as well). After so much mediocrity (with the exception of W being "okay"), I completely ate it up. It had so much energy that it was almost contagious, and I feel the setting was used brilliantly. I've started watching Megaranger and I'm enjoying seeing how many parallels the two shows share.

lazycoconut said:
(because it's pretty much a perfect "bingo card" of all the problems in Inoue's style - just about the only thing it's missing is romantic melodrama.)

I can't tell if that's sarcasm because Faiz was certainly not lacking in romantic melodrama. *coughKeitarothinkingYukaandOsadaaretwodifferentpeoplecough*