D

Dr Kain

They should subtitle this movie, "Hey, Look at How Many Characters We Are Able to Throw Into This Thing!"

My god, the first movie had some good things going for it and now we'll be lucky if we see any character get more than 15 minutes of development.

They should subtitle this movie, "Hey, Look at How Many Characters We Are Able to Throw Into This Thing!"

My god, the first movie had some good things going for it and now we'll be lucky if we see any character get more than 15 minutes of development.

Its already looks better than 3 and I bet you never had a problem with The Dark Knight with how it had two villains. I can never understand why people whine about these things anyways when its a wholly different production and goal than the Raimi series. The thing is that in reality, The Amazing Spider-Man was actually not a pile of unforgettable garbage like 3 or 2 [I remember 1 fondly as well as a bit of 2] where I got unintended laughs from how people in the theater quipped the third movie to shreds on the midnight showing. If that was not there, I would probably have walked out because it was not only forgettable, but probably the worst film adaptations I have seen aside for Godzilla 1998 until The Last Airbender topped it.

Last edited:
Read my smart post
Its already looks better than 3 and I bet you never had a problem with The Dark Knight with how it had two villains. I can never understand why people whine about these things anyways when its a wholly different production and goal than the Raimi series. The thing is that in reality, The Amazing Spider-Man was actually not a pile of unforgettable garbage like 3 or 2 [I remember 1 fondly as well as a bit of 2] where I got unintended laughs from how people in the theater quipped the third movie to shreds on the midnight showing. If that was not there, I would probably have walked out because it was not only forgettable, but probably the worst film adaptations I have seen aside for Godzilla 1998 until The Last Airbender topped it.

I thought The Amazing Spider-Man was ****.

Spider-Man 2 is amazing, it's still one of the best comic book movies ever

I thought The Amazing Spider-Man was ****.

Spider-Man 2 is amazing, it's still one of the best comic book movies ever

The problems I had with TAS amounted to cut subplots that made what was left make no sense aside from the Lizard arc , Uncle Ben's anti-climactically hilarious death [since he barely had any screen-time to really relate or feel much for his incarnation] and how Stacy's dad died. I could feel that things were missing from the film. Aside from those issues I found that the film surpassed the first Raimi film despite its quirks.

Spider-Man 2? I cannot lie that it is a great film and one of the best comic book adaptations out there , but the way in how it led to the third leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Besides, I got tired how almost NO ONE found out about Spidey's ID aside from his girlfriend and how none of it amounted to anything when MJ ditched Peter. I felt it needed at least another half hour for it to be more impactful.

Spider-Man 2 seems good until you really realize that every single Raimi film is literally just "Peter wants to be with MJ but he caaaaaan't oh noooooo."

Which leaves you with Doc Ock to carry Spidey 2, and Alfred did a wonderful job acting the role. Unfortunately the Doc Ock in the film has evil voices in his head telling him to be bad and he's a super genius yet his entire plan consists of STEALING MONEY in order to then BUY EQUIPMENT. Good thinking Otto. Not to mention the entire, silly, and somewhat pointless (it had a point but it could have been easily made any other way) subplot of Peter losing his powers because...he doesn't believe in himself or doesn't want to be Spider-Man?

At the time Spidey 2 was wonderful and as a film, it has aged very well. But I think compared to what superhero films are like now, it just doesn't hold up in a fight.

A simple passerby...
At the time Spidey 2 was wonderful and as a film, it has aged very well. But I think compared to what superhero films are like now, it just doesn't hold up in a fight.

Lol, compared to what superhero films are like now? Have you seen the blinding difference between a rushed mash up (The Avengers) that no one aside from us fans cared about before the release, a half assed Superman movie (MOS), the chick flick THOR, an oscar winning movie like TDK or Iron Man compared to it's sequels?

I don't think you can draw a line as to where the Hero film industry is. It merely depends on who's on the reigns of the project and if they had any clue at all what the **** they were doing. Alan Taylor was a great director for Games of Thrones, but letting him on Thor: The Dark World simply because they share the "Medieval" feel was just plain dumb. That's like seeing a kid do well in High School, and then you jam medical notebooks in his hand, then see how far he can get without trying to sound like an idiot.

Picking writers, directors, and actors shouldn't be any of the producer's concerns, even if he or she is the one putting in the money because the producer is just in most cases, a rich sad **** who doesn't give much of a second thought bout anything else but making more money off what they just invested. That should have been left to the people who actually knew the content i.e. Comic writers and knowledgeable experts on the field, then they can relate whatever the ideal image of the hero or story is that people have come to love, not "oh hey, I'm a writer and producer, might as well throw in my own interpretation/version on this hero and let's see how the world reacts when I direct it too!"

If they wanted a movie with big robots, then they should be writing their own original material, not rebooting all these franchises every 5 years expecting a change in audience reactions. You know what they call doing the same thing over and over again while expecting the same results? Insanity. Except with them, each time they do it over, they just **** it up much, much worse.

Hollywood, you need to rest. In pieces. Let the fans who actually give a **** and know how to direct/write and **** take over. You've had your fill, let us have ours for ****'s sake.

Making movies for the "general audience" is just an attempt at entering mainstreamism. Why should we fucking care about the general audience consisting mostly of the entire population (bullies, douchebags, arrogant dickheads who jump on bandwagons) when we're the ones buying the merchandises all these years in support of the franchises, and yet all we get is **** treatment from the higher ups who still want to "reach out" to more people. What they don't get, is that you can't force everyone to like your stuff by simply adding in every flavour. You're either unique, or you end up like a fucking mess like this one. So, isn't it just better to stick to the original, have real fans who'll pay even more money cause they're happy about what they say (will probably watch it in theatres twice), than laying back on this foundation of laziness and attempts at fitting in?

Plus, all these faggots posting "Nerds stfu, not everything's going to be like the comics" all over FaceBook and SuperheroHype is really pissing me off, cause they're the sad fucks who criticised us for watching "cartoons" or "children's show" now it's live-action they're drooling like mad dogs. I mean c'mon, how would they feel about watching NBA on heels and dresses. Love to see Dwight Howard try and dunk over Kobe's head with his heels now would they?

I dunno. I'm a pretty huge comic nerd and I was very happy with the moves you listed. All have a far better understanding of the characters and source material than the films in Spidey 1-3s Era did. Thor 2 is probably objectively one of the best Marvel films, The Dark Knight is excellent (Begins was really good too), Iron Man is an almost perfect origin film (and its first sequel is not as bad as people claim, although the 3rd took as many character liberties as the super hero films in the early 2000s), Avengers is nothing but wonderful, and personally I consider Man of Steel to be the best super hero film ever made.

I think all of them are very accurate to the comics, even if they are still different interpretations.

So maybe you're preaching to the wrong guy about that.

Also as someone who has worked in the industry, it's super up to the producer who to hire. It's their money, they're ultimately the boss. Claiming that the boss shouldn't hire the directors and writers is ridiculous, that's literally what they're there for. To maximize profits on each product they release in order to keep making movies.

Read my smart post
I dunno. I'm a pretty huge comic nerd and I was very happy with the moves you listed. All have a far better understanding of the characters and source material than the films in Spidey 1-3s Era did. Thor 2 is probably objectively one of the best Marvel films, The Dark Knight is excellent (Begins was really good too), Iron Man is an almost perfect origin film (and its first sequel is not as bad as people claim, although the 3rd took as many character liberties as the super hero films in the early 2000s), Avengers is nothing but wonderful, and personally I consider Man of Steel to be the best super hero film ever made.

I think all of them are very accurate to the comics, even if they are still different interpretations.

So maybe you're preaching to the wrong guy about that.

Also as someone who has worked in the industry, it's super up to the producer who to hire. It's their money, they're ultimately the boss. Claiming that the boss shouldn't hire the directors and writers is ridiculous, that's literally what they're there for. To maximize profits on each product they release in order to keep making movies.

This is where I respectfully disagree. I thought Man of Steel was complete garbage, it was nothing more than a condensed version of Richard Donner's 2 Superman movies. You can tell Zack Snyder doesn't understand the essence of Superman (he did a emo hobo who destroys Metropolis) and was more interested in putting his bat-**** crazy vision of Krypton on screen.

Richard Donner got it right with Christopher Reeves. Superman is supposed to be a confident, role model who inspires greatness. I'm sick of DC/Warner Bros sucking Christopher Nolans dick, not every comic book movie needs to be grim, dark and realistic

I honestly think the MoS Superman was more accurate to the character than Donner's version, but that is speaking more of the 80s-current Superman. Donner's Superman was honestly very accurate for the 70s version of the character, but that is my least favorite version.

I think Superman is more defined by the "man" part of his name, with how everyone in the DC Universe thinks he's a god-like, perfect being that never makes mistakes. So he tries really hard to be that, but he still makes those mistakes. Some of my favorite Superman stories, and he's one of my favorite comic characters of all time, have to do with either him messing up or making the wrong decision while thinking it's right.

I also don't think MoS was grim or dark, just modernized and made the world a tad more realistic. MoS was serious, that's for sure, but not really grim dark.

Also I do feel that you keep comparing Superman in MoS to what you think Superman should be, even though he didn't really become Superman until like the last few minutes of the film. He put on his suit a few weeks ago and flew for the first time over the age of 30 in this universe. He's not going to be the confident guy the first time he's faced with an awful situation. He has to grow into the role of Superman. Which is how he will continue to inspire greatness in this universe.

I digress, of course you're allowed to dislike or hate the film regardless of anything I may say. I'm sure I've hated movies that you love. But I really, really enjoyed MoS.

Spider-Man 2 seems good until you really realize that every single Raimi film is literally just "Peter wants to be with MJ but he caaaaaan't oh noooooo."

Which leaves you with Doc Ock to carry Spidey 2, and Alfred did a wonderful job acting the role. Unfortunately the Doc Ock in the film has evil voices in his head telling him to be bad and he's a super genius yet his entire plan consists of STEALING MONEY in order to then BUY EQUIPMENT. Good thinking Otto. Not to mention the entire, silly, and somewhat pointless (it had a point but it could have been easily made any other way) subplot of Peter losing his powers because...he doesn't believe in himself or doesn't want to be Spider-Man?

Agreed on this entirely. I found anything MJ was in to be extremely boring and redundant. It added a bit of conflict, but it only truly came to a head in 3 where she was just horrible. Nothing ever was done with her character as she was the the perpetual Ruby Sparks of the film franchise. Anything Peter wanted her to do , she'd do, but if not, he goes insane or emo and vice versa. The problem with any relationship like this is where the woman in it is completely boring and just a shallow husk of a person that only exists to have him have some "conflicts" in his teenage life. Or I mean his college life. On the other hand, he only exists as a plot device at the result of other plot devices that conveniently guide him to become a hero.

In Amazing Spider-Man, despite its few flaws like Man of Steel, it actually modernizes the original character without compromising anything for cheap Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire cut-outs. In contrast, the TASM film makes it actually clear how awkward Parker really is and he fits in the real world, unlike the highly unlikely Maguire.

Having Parker deal with issues and not really winning in TASM was a great change of pace. Flash wasn't the stereotypical bully, the school was to be honest OK [though I wished they had borrowed more from Ultimate in his fight with Flash] and Parker lived in a realistic environment that was nothing like the idealized pulp nonsense of the us versus them mentality with the jocks versus the nerds like was usually done in many films. If anything, had Cameron done Spider-Man, having Parker as a sociopath would be a great critique of the superhero nerd teenager because Spider-Man could have easily went the other way. And it showed in some of the Raimi trilogy. However, since Garfield's Parker actually faced real conflicts and challenges to his persona that actually face teenagers and real "super"heroes, he was more relatable than Maguire as it was grounded.

Everyone in the Raimi series just accepted Spider-Man as their god, but at least in TASM, Chief Stacy actually brought a nice foil to Parker that I felt should have reverberated throughout the trilogy, while Aunt May actually cared about her surrogate son's injuries, and Gwen actually has a personality. In my opinion, they should just merge Mary Jane and Gwen to a single character this time around and have her be the checks and balances with Parker. He not only needs someone equal to him or greater in intelligence, but someone who can stand up for herself. How the second film is leading seems to be fantastic because in my opinion, having the rich heir of a multi-billion organization have zero knowledge or input into Oscorp and be able to redevelop and master a second version of the Goblin suit was unconvincing.

This is where I heavily disagree with Japaneseseriesfan. Making a film towards that tight of a niche and you might as well make it on the budget of the Bollywood version of Superman in the 80's where it will look like a parody from Adult Swim. After the cussing and the whole "I hate the entirety of the population" bit, I could not take this seriously and see this as ample reason why even well-meaning producers would not listen to those like this. It is quite ironic when someone who hates those like that acts like what they despise. There's one sense to make a film embrace itself, but a whole other to be a fanservice. That's why many superhero films based on Japanese classic superheroes have flopped in its home country. They are either complete fanservice or they deviate so much from the original that they were only used for their license.

Comic adaptations today are far better than they were in the 80s not only because of said effects , but because they acknowledged the irreality and reality of their universes as well like in Marvel in a manner that acknowledged the general audience, but respected the material.

Many complaints such as this arise with how Hollywood, like any other industry, thrives on profit. To be honest, Transformers was a glorified 20 minute commercial, Power Rangers was a glorified TV commercial, and many other series of their type were glorified commercials, even Gundam [They colored the classic RX-78 and others for profit] . Add to the fact that the majority of the mythos was created until after G1 in Beast Wars [ a series that fans hated for no reason] there was really not much to derive from honestly. Its not insanity if people keep profiteering from these films because it is a sure sell, but insanity to think Hollywood would curb cutting their profits to serve a highly niche audience that cannot serve its interests globally.

If we were to go back to how comics were done in the 80s, we'd hear complaints of why don't they do it like the past? Because they decided to gear it towards people who barely make 2-10% of the population, that's why. Comics never were exactly mainstream geared until video games, TV shows and films came along because it brought it audiences that would likely either never get the comics, or do not even know of them. If comics were so successful on their own, comic companies would not have struggled or need to have been bought out by wealthier studios. Same goes for books such as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Twilight or shows like Power Rangers or Mission Impossible.

Without popular adaptations, I like most Americans, let alone the world's general audience, would have not even batted an eye and kept on walking without ever coming into contact with their sources or otherwise being influenced by them. Without producers or other rich people to back these productions, many would probably never been nerds or geeks from these influences in the first place. Most producers are adhering to the source because that is where the demand lies because of backlash from previous attempts.