Minato Ascending
i used to like sentai a year ago and then when kyoryuger aired i kinda lost interest. then i watched garo and i just could not get back into sentai. it seems kinda silly to me.

There are serious sentai and then there are less serious sentai. Kyoryuger is somewhat light-hearted, but if you want sentai that aren't as "silly" you can always check out sentai series such as Shinkenger and Timeranger (both not coincidentally written by Kobayashi). Kamen Rider has series that are quite silly as well, such as Fourze, so it's not just sentai. And remember that both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are targeting young boys primarily, so it definitely influences their style and the way they're written.

K

KamenRiderBritannia

whats with all these random threads this guys making?

Budou though
i like kamen rider more than super sentai and it doesn't make me weird for doing so.

There's nothing wrong with not liking something, but I think the shows are similar to the point where if you like one, I don't see why you wouldn't like the other. Kamen Rider has been a bit more "adult" in the past, but that definitely isn't the case with the more recent seasons and Sentai has had its fair share of the more mature approach as well (again, as long as you aren't looking for something that's just dark) if you look back to some of the earlier seasons.

And Kyoryuger is leagues ahead of any of the recent Kamen Rider seasons in terms of story telling, writing and direction, so don't let the goofy and lighthearted approach put you off if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Lurker
Stop sugar coating it guys. Liking Kamen Rider but not really liking Super Sentai is a serious incurable condition...
I know... I have it too! And I've been to doctors. They recommended euthanasia. But I am not that weak. I have to live with it. You too, TC, keep strong!

Disappear into light!!
No, it's not weird. But it does raise the question of why because they're similar in a lot of aspects, made by the same company and not all but a lot of the same people. If the reason is simply because 'Rider is more serious and mature' then clearly you just haven't seen enough of Rider and enough of Sentai.

I was like that too, for admittedly shallow reasons. I just couldn't stand the five brightly colored spandex suits, and I dislike their roll calling, pointing out that it's stupid and took too long. Then I saw the Shinkengers in the Decade crossover episode, and four years later, now I love Sentai, at times more than Rider. Rider still holds a special place in me because I loved the basic concept so much, but in execution and quality of product, Sentai is miles ahead of Rider.

While the early Heisei Rider shows tried really hard to be "realistic" and more "believable", Sentai(or the people making it) realizes what it is and knows how ridiculous and over the top everything it's doing. But it embraces it and is determined to have a blast with its insanity, leaving all pretension of being "real"(okay, there are certain amounts of plausibility for you to buy into the world, but really, in the end, Sentai's just crazy).

I guess it's a bit of a foreign concept, because western entertainment is so fixated on trying to make everything "realistic" and "believable", and aims to convince the audience that everything it's doing is representing the world and reality. I believe it's a difference in principles called "presentation vs representation". Sentai just aims to entertain and wow you with its outrageous presentation, instead of trying to buy you in by representing the "real". Just keep that in mind when you're watching Sentai. You might start to enjoy it a little bit more.

I was like that too, for admittedly shallow reasons. I just couldn't stand the five brightly colored spandex suits, and I dislike their roll calling, pointing out that it's stupid and took too long. Then I saw the Shinkengers in the Decade crossover episode, and four years later, now I love Sentai, at times more than Rider. Rider still holds a special place in me because I loved the basic concept so much, but in execution and quality of product, Sentai is miles ahead of Rider.

The roll calling and suits are what did it for me. I can't *stand* Spandex suits. I shied away from Ultraman as well until I learned that they're actually rubberized and not hyper form-fitting.

I wanted to get into Go-Busters since it's a smaller team and no-spandex...but apparently it's not very good.

I also just prefer solo heroes, or small not-exactly-teams. Sentai's particular brand of suspension-of-disbelief silliness also just isn't my style. I also dislike the giant robot fights (for the most part). The bulky suits and overuse of CGI effects bugs me too.

I guess for me it's just a stylistic thing. Not silly vs. mature, but the execution.

The Ranger with the Cowbell
I wanted to get into Go-Busters since it's a smaller team and no-spandex...but apparently it's not very good.

Go-Busters is decent but it strikes a weird balance of seriousness and silliness that's hard to describe.

There are about 15 great episodes of Go-Busters, but in general it's plagued by slow, pointless filler.

The first 5, the middle 5 (the Messiah climax), and the last 5 (the Enter climax) are super good.

Everything else is more miss than hit.

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Is it weird that I like chocolate ice cream and not vanilla?