Harumph.
Super robots, especially anime, were popular in the mid to late 70s and I think that partially contributed to why Leo was doing so-so to bad ratings wise (among other things).

I don't think that was so much because it was up against super robot stuff, though I'm not ruling it out. Leo in particular had a very problematic production, especially in pre-production. There were a lot of attempts to bend over backwards for different age groups, which resulted in a severe kind of mood whiplash which makes it a bit difficult to watch at times.

To put it into perspective, Leo is a series whose main character is a tragic figure that lost his home planet. It also features people being killed in horrific ways during the course of the series. YET, there are still a bunch of episodes that are exactly the opposite. Including, amongst others, a trilogy of (godawful) episodes based on well-known folktales.

That isn't to say I didn't LIKE the series. Quite the opposite, actually. Leo has one of the best first episodes in the entire franchise and the fights are really awesome for the most part. I just can see why Japanese audiences back in the day weren't watching it.

The last episode of Akibarangers painted a different picture.:laugh:

Others were saying that it was making fun of Chaiyo and companies that were creating Ultraman-like giant heroes. I'm leaning towards THAT on the basis that Prism Ace looks suspiciously like Toho's Megaloman.

Last edited:
Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4WcrrqBz88"]??????????????? ????????????????? - YouTube[/ame]

Episode 3 ready for viewing, I am watching it now.

3 episodes in, and I'm already bored of the reused Kaiju. The effects and action are well done, but man, give it a rest with this whole Neo era of unoriginality. It completely detracts from anything else going on. "Mebius" convinced me it was still original, because it added as many new monsters as it did old. This is just unoriginal.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
It is a short series and while using King Pandon over at least the original irks me it does not bother me enough to enjoy the entertainment value. BTW anyone know what Valkie and Taro were talking about during their encounter?

I don't care if the shows 13 episodes or even 3. They need to spend that time convincing me their show is worthwhile, and so far they haven't.

Harumph.
3 episodes in, and I'm already bored of the reused Kaiju. The effects and action are well done, but man, give it a rest with this whole Neo era of unoriginality. It completely detracts from anything else going on. "Mebius" convinced me it was still original, because it added as many new monsters as it did old. This is just unoriginal.

Something tells me originality isn't their main selling point this time around. Possibly the fact that it is pretty hellbent on selling a lot of those special vinyl figures. Now, think a minute about the popularity of older monsters. Those are the figures people tend to buy the most.

I'm not telling you to like the show. I'm just saying that what they're doing from a financial standpoint makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, they'll make enough money for a longer and more "original" series. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying this little detour.

Lurker
The head writer of Akibaranger (who did all of s2, including episode 12) has said on a few occasions that he loves Ultraman and would love to write for it.

Well that's good. You'll have to excuse me I don't watch and have zero interest in Akibaranger so I don't really read anything related to it. Still its good the head writer said he likes it making it more likely that this Prism Ace is more of a Take That to Ultraman copy cat's then the Ultra Series itself.