Stupid Spam bots are getting annoying

• Thread starter KamenRiderBritannia
  • Start date
K

KamenRiderBritannia

is there not something you can do about them? Im sure there should be a security option in the forums admin panel to make registering accounts more secure to prevent bots from posting any old shite

Shyni
I think the staff here have been trying to up the security and whatnot, based on this thread. I know at least one forum that requires you to put a "reason for joining" when you apply for an account to prove you're not a spambot, and accounts need to be manually approved for by a moderator before they can post. It also has some sort of filter software that automatically rejects applications containing certain spambot-y words. But that's a really small forum, and it runs on a different type of board software, so I don't know if the security measures there are even possible to implement here.

We've put in several layers of protection. But yeah... unfortunately it's some company's job to type in the captcha codes and continually change their own IP addresses to keep getting past our levels.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
Keep in mind that the only way to stop all bots (100%) from ever making there way on here is to stop allowing new accounts/new members to register here, and we're not likely to do that because it's not fair for legit people to be denied membership here in that manner.

For the most part, the security measures that our guys have been able to put in on our end have been working pretty well. For every 1 spambot you guys actually see, the staff has probably banned at least 5 others (often more)...and that's for a span of at least every 2 or 3 days. So as long as you guys keep reporting the few ones that manage to sneak by, then we're actually doing quite well.

"あぁあぁっーー…!いぃやあ…あ"
How can you tell if it is a spam bot or not because I would like to help out but I can't tell the difference?

Aronbafon
A lot of them writes a paragraph about nothing that's relevant to the forum it's in and then leaves a lot of "Watch insert movie title here".

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
To add on to what Andy just posted, if you suspect an account is a spambot, when in doubt, just go ahead and use the "Report Post" function anyway to make sure we (the staff) are aware of it. We can then check it and verify whether it is or not, and then take the appropriate actions if they're necessary.

I am the law
Partly probably my fault, as I'm usually pretty good about sniffing the fuckers out and banning them before you even see them. But I took a mini vacation from the boards & it looks like it was party time, as I just took care of about a dozen in the past 5mins! :lol

To echo what JFC said, if you see or suspect a post of being a spambot, PLEASE use the report button. It's not often, but sometimes these things can fly under the radar.

Play time is over spambots....Judgement has returned.

S

scikaiju

Another pretty good indicator I've noticed is that if one makes several posts in a row and all the topic headings look like they're almost forming a sentence if you put them together.

"あぁあぁっーー…!いぃやあ…あ"
To add on to what Andy just posted, if you suspect an account is a spambot, when in doubt, just go ahead and use the "Report Post" function anyway to make sure we (the staff) are aware of it. We can then check it and verify whether it is or not, and then take the appropriate actions if they're necessary.

Thanks for the info
Now I can help out